Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

pm sent

For everyone else, there are no updates yet as the parts are on order and the car is in transit still.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Wow, I have just returned from U.S. with the Mercedes E500 4 Matic that I bought and I see all the action in this thread that I started. First off in case anyone has not yet guessed at what I do for a living , I am a Canadian Customs Broker. We have been importing cars for the last 7 years, way before this all came into fashion.

In reading what was posted in this thread, I can tell you that every car that is being imported into Canada with the exception of Mercedes, BMW and Ferrari are not required to undergo modifications to the speedometer, odometer or anything else in relation to the instrument cluster. All that happens when you go for your federal inspection is that a sticker is placed next to the odometer stating " Miles". That's it that's all!!!. With regards to daytime running lights, if they are operational at time of inspection, case closed.

Merecedes was the first manufacturer to withdraw their list of cars from the admisible list, they did this about 2 -3 years
ago and replaced it by the current system of having to contact them, obtain a letter of admissibility and do the required modifications ( Which by the way, is something that MB created) . As I posted here last week, BMW has followed suit.

Anyone following this topic will know that on Nov 1/08 the Immobilizer issue came up and many people got stuck importing cars that they cannot plate in Canada. If you want to read about horror stories, check out the following site.

www.carswithoutborders.com
Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Members

Anyone know the entire costs as of yet?

or have a list of things that need to be done as a heads up?

any heads up would be nice

Scot
Old 12-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

This is my costs so far from BMW Canada,

Admis. Letter:350.00 - Paid
Parts and labour: 3000.00(est) - Paid for the parts.
Second completion Letter: 500.00 - What they tell me I have to pay after Parts installed.

After that there is nothing else you need to pay BMW for.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Members

anyone know if I have replace the cluster on a 2005 545i, with DRL already activated?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Members

Smile

I received the letter of admissibility from BMW for my Z4. I am disappointed in the letter.

The letter appears to be a form letter and is not specific to the car. It does not outline what is specifically required to make the car compliant (even though the dealer told me latter that only programming is required); the letter just says it does not comply with the requirements for DRL.

The language in the letter in horrible, and NO WHERE in the letter does it actually say the car is admissible. I think that if a border agent wanted to take exception to the letter he could. I am not happy with what my $350 has purchased!

Personally I think BMWs approach to this is insulting. The Canadian regulations require certain things - including Daytime running lights. No where do the Canadian regulations say that they must be turned on by a BMW retailer. The Canadian regulations also state that a vehicle with recalls on it can not be admitted to the country. Why do I have to prove this through BMW Canada.

I actually don't have a problem with paying some dollars to get the car into the BMW Canada system to validate the warranty, but I feel like I am being ripped off, and that BMW is making up certain regulations to benefit themselves. I wish they would find some other way to deal with the problem they have on their hands.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by bhorne' post='504238' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:04 PM
I received the letter of admissibility from BMW for my Z4. I am disappointed in the letter.

The letter appears to be a form letter and is not specific to the car. It does not outline what is specifically required to make the car compliant (even though the dealer told me latter that only programming is required); the letter just says it does not comply with the requirements for DRL.

The language in the letter in horrible, and NO WHERE in the letter does it actually say the car is admissible. I think that if a border agent wanted to take exception to the letter he could. I am not happy with what my $350 has purchased!

Personally I think BMWs approach to this is insulting. The Canadian regulations require certain things - including Daytime running lights. No where do the Canadian regulations say that they must be turned on by a BMW retailer. The Canadian regulations also state that a vehicle with recalls on it can not be admitted to the country. Why do I have to prove this through BMW Canada.

I actually don't have a problem with paying some dollars to get the car into the BMW Canada system to validate the warranty, but I feel like I am being ripped off, and that BMW is making up certain regulations to benefit themselves. I wish they would find some other way to deal with the problem they have on their hands.
This whole thing with BMW is fairly new, (Nov 27/07), I have had some clients already import BMW's and all they had to do was pay the fees for the letter of admissibility, recall letter and activation of Daytime Running lights, not one of my clients had to change the instrument cluster so far. Now the cluster issue may be a function of the make and model year, at this time I am not sure.

Both Transport Canada and the RIV do not force you to go to the dealer, however what I have found out at least with Mercedes who have had this policy for some time now, is that in order to transfer the warranty, they make you do the work at their respective authorized dealers. In my case with my MB, I am looking at $5700.00 in charges, I have to change cluster, the part is around $1200.00, This one is even better, I have to change some headlight brackets, parts are also $1200.00 along with some other parts. With labour and taxes total is $ 5700.00. in my case I knew about all this before going proceeding with the purchase. Even with these charges and all the other fees, duty , GST etc... I am still saving $20,000.00 so I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I always look at the bright side of things, at least I get the balance of warranty which has 50,000 kms left on it. Keep in mind that both Honda and Chrysler won't even honour their warranty in Canada and once they find out the car was exported from the USA, they are not honouring the U.S. warranty either.

I would venture to make a bet that Porsche, Land Rover and Lexus will not be far behind in changing their policy on U.S> vehicles coming to Canada. All of these models are coming into Canada by the truck load.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

<div align='left'></div>
Originally Posted by gabman' post='504368' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:31 AM
This whole thing with BMW is fairly new, (Nov 27/07), I have had some clients already import BMW's and all they had to do was pay the fees for the letter of admissibility, recall letter and activation of Daytime Running lights, not one of my clients had to change the instrument cluster so far. Now the cluster issue may be a function of the make and model year, at this time I am not sure.

Both Transport Canada and the RIV do not force you to go to the dealer, however what I have found out at least with Mercedes who have had this policy for some time now, is that in order to transfer the warranty, they make you do the work at their respective authorized dealers. In my case with my MB, I am looking at $5700.00 in charges, I have to change cluster, the part is around $1200.00, This one is even better, I have to change some headlight brackets, parts are also $1200.00 along with some other parts. With labour and taxes total is $ 5700.00. in my case I knew about all this before going proceeding with the purchase. Even with these charges and all the other fees, duty , GST etc... I am still saving $20,000.00 so I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I always look at the bright side of things, at least I get the balance of warranty which has 50,000 kms left on it. Keep in mind that both Honda and Chrysler won't even honour their warranty in Canada and once they find out the car was exported from the USA, they are not honouring the U.S. warranty either.

I would venture to make a bet that Porsche, Land Rover and Lexus will not be far behind in changing their policy on U.S> vehicles coming to Canada. All of these models are coming into Canada by the truck load.
I purchased a used 535i with 9000 miles on it from Nevada. I drove the vehicle up and crossed the boarder prior to November 27. In the iDrive, I switched on the DRL and changed the temperature, mileage and odometer readings to metric. Will I still be required to change the cluster in order to pass inspection?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 535owner' post='505012' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:46 AM
<div align='left'></div>

I purchased a used 535i with 9000 miles on it from Nevada. I drove the vehicle up and crossed the boarder prior to November 27. In the iDrive, I switched on the DRL and changed the temperature, mileage and odometer readings to metric. Will I still be required to change the cluster in order to pass inspection?

Any help would be much appreciated.
What date did you cross the border? At the border you should have been given a vehicle import Form 1 and you should have paid the RIV $ 195.00 plus taxes. If you already have the recall letter from BMW Canada you may be in luck, all you have to do is fax it to the RIV and they should send you back a Form 2, The Form 2 may have conditions on it, I would need to hear about what it states on it. If you did not get the recall letter yest from BMW Canada, they may give you some grief and make you do the changes. let me know your exact situation and I will try to help.

Once you get the Form 2 you need to take the Car to Canadian Tire for a federal Inspection, you will also need to do a provincial inspection. If you managed to get the form 2 and have both inspections done your good to do to the license bureau
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='504368' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:31 PM

Gabman,

I applogize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place however, this seems to be the most comprehensive discussion I've found for the given topic. I've recently purchased a 07-328xi E-90? (16k mi). I purchased it prior to the the change; like everyone else, I dilegently checked sources hoping that I had dotted my "i"s and crossed my "t"s. My prized purchase was picked up last friday (Dec 7) when I got the call from the shipper about this new admissibility doc being required all of a sudden. Not much I could do at that point. My vehicle is going to arrive in my city's autoport in Bond. I've contacted the dealer and they more or less stated everything that you've said above. Although I saved on my purchase I did not see the gains that others have made given that it is not as high-end a vehicle. I'm concerned that my savings will evaporate with these "required modifications" by the dealer. Dealer implied that I too might need this "instrument cluster" work and there might be "hours of programming" to gauge me with as well. My car does not have "i-drive" to my knowledge, do you have any information on whether the day-time running lights will be a big issue. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your info
A dissappointed BMW fan and owner

Quick Reply: IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA