Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

Thats what I asked TC but the guy on the phone told me that BMW has the final say as what needs to be replaced and the odmeter stickers are for cars that have no option for KM (eg. Would be a car that is made only for the U.S. market and a KM Odometer was never produced by the manufacture). Don't get me wrong I think that this is complete BS and if I had the time and money I would try and find a place to vent my anger on BMW Canada.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

This is exactly what BMW Canada wants, this one situation will likely make several prospective cross border buyers succumb to buying here to avoid the hassle !! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Members

For sure. I want people to know that this was not that bad and the only reason why I am pissed off is that I had my car held at the border for this and if I was going to import another I would in a second because even with all the little costs added up it is still a better price. So if anyone is thinking of importing a BMW PM me and I will help as much as I can.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Members

In a Canadian spec car can you change the oedometer car from kilometers to miles with idrive? (like you can with a US Spec car.)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwmutt' post='502238' date='Dec 3 2007, 05:27 PM
For sure. I want people to know that this was not that bad and the only reason why I am pissed off is that I had my car held at the border for this and if I was going to import another I would in a second because even with all the little costs added up it is still a better price. So if anyone is thinking of importing a BMW PM me and I will help as much as I can.
congrats with the import! even if the process now becomes a little more challenging, it still doesn't compare to how much we save. i'm thinking of importing a bmw within the next few months. and if i may ask, which dealer did you get your 2008 535i from? and there is no warranty on the vehicle correct? plus, all maintenance fees will now be extra? does this also mean we do not get BMW roadside assistance?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

i know for fact, you are able to change KM to MILES on viewing the gas consumption, and milage traveled. however, on the actual speedometer, there is no MPH on canadian specs.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by elyk' post='502255' date='Dec 3 2007, 03:16 PM
congrats with the import! even if the process now becomes a little more challenging, it still doesn't compare to how much we save. i'm thinking of importing a bmw within the next few months. and if i may ask, which dealer did you get your 2008 535i from? and there is no warranty on the vehicle correct? plus, all maintenance fees will now be extra? does this also mean we do not get BMW roadside assistance?

I bought it from Irvine BMW in Cali. The sales man and the Dealership put any Canadian dealer I have ever been at to shame. I asked for more pictures when I was thinking about the car and he went out side and e-mailed me pictures from his phone about 5 minutes later. If you want more info on the guys name and contacts for brokers and shippers PM me. I have an E-mail from BMW Canada that says that they will take the warranty over for the 4 years 80,000km or whats left since the in service date. Other then that we are left out in the cold. I have BCAA so I get road side help from them as part of my insurance.

As for the odometer I am just going on what Transport Canada is saying and what BMW Canada is telling me. I am sure the S*** will build up more and more as I still have to get the parts installed and pass provincial inspections.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Members

Exclamation

Gentlemen; There seems to be a huge difference with the 2008 models from the 2006 X5 that I imported a few months ago. The 2006 was able to be programmed for the DRL's and to have to Odometer read kilometers istead of miles. Like a previous comment said the odometer change was a personel preference and not a requirment. The temp indications and range/gas mileage readings I was able to change myself from information in the owners manual. All the dealer changes were programming only and it took only a half hour to 45 minutes for them to do. I was charged $130 to get it done. Next is the important part. I have been considering bringing in another one and talked to BMW dealer in the U.S. about having the changes made before I picked up the vehicle from them. They told me, no problem at all and quoted $45 dollars to do the programming as compared to the $130 I paid here. Your 2008 may be different but I think you should entertain the idea of getting the work done south of the border at a fraction the cost of what it is here. You may even get a different answer on what is necessary to make these things work for you. My experience also points to the fact that the U.S. dealers are eager to make the sale and may go the extra mile to make it happen.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Members

When I brought my 2006 530i to Canada last March, turning on the DRL was a big issue. The car was at the dealer for two days as they had numerous calls to experts in Germany. At one point they did threaten that it might need a cluster.

In the end they had to swap a module with a Canadian car, turn on the DRL, and then swap back in the original module. The bill was $350. It seemed high, but I know how much grief they had. I wonder if anybody has had the e60 DRL turned on by a Canadian dealer with no problem. I also wonder if BMW could write a SIB based on the the Bavaria BMW procedure. It could save $$$$$ (of course they don't want make our live's easier).
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwmutt' post='502259' date='Dec 3 2007, 06:25 PM
I bought it from Irvine BMW in Cali. The sales man and the Dealership put any Canadian dealer I have ever been at to shame. I asked for more pictures when I was thinking about the car and he went out side and e-mailed me pictures from his phone about 5 minutes later. If you want more info on the guys name and contacts for brokers and shippers PM me. I have an E-mail from BMW Canada that says that they will take the warranty over for the 4 years 80,000km or whats left since the in service date. Other then that we are left out in the cold. I have BCAA so I get road side help from them as part of my insurance.

As for the odometer I am just going on what Transport Canada is saying and what BMW Canada is telling me. I am sure the S*** will build up more and more as I still have to get the parts installed and pass provincial inspections.
good to hear at least they warrant the vehicle. and any updates? have they made all modifications yet?

lastly, if you may can you pm the dealer/sales rep info?
thanks in advance

Quick Reply: IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA