Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

And I wait... HPFP service number 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my car was picked up first thing monday morning for its second HPFP failure.

Last week when I called the dealer, I didn't give my name... Started getting the run-around about getting a loaner. I got furious, told the service guy that I was researching the Florida lemon laws and that the dealership had sold me a piece of sh*t. I also said I was going to call the general manager directly (which I was advised to do by the GM himself if I had a problem) I ended up hanging up

I waited a day to cool down. My HPFP wasnt to the point of complete failure so I didnt need to have the car picked up right away... it was stalling a few times after starting.

When I called back over 24 hours later the service manager picked up the phone and when I said "I need to have my car brought in due to fuel pump failure" she actually said "no problem" and knew me by name.

I got my car picked up easily, and now I wait.

I called the dealer yesterday to check on the status. I was told by the service manager that they were waiting to hear back from BMWNA to ensure they have done everything they can with the fuel pump before releasing the car. I think they realize the lemon laws in FL are in my favor after a 3rd failed pump. The next time the pump goes, the cair is theirs, so they probably want to exhuast every means of testing it to ensure they aren't taking the car back.

Either way, the service manager is being helpful and providing me with information. This experience is going pretty smoothly. Either way I will be happy because I due truly love this car (when it works) but I now have my heart set on (im gonna say it) a used Audi S5. I am over BMW.

Lets hope I get the car back soon. I am more then happy to finish out the remaining 23 months on my lease, but I don't have that special place in my heart for BMW like I used to
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Sorry to hear this is HPFP failure number 2. If you like the driving experience of the E60, why not get a 550 if (and probably when) the HPFP fails again? Of course, the S5 is a beautiful looking car.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1085150' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear this is HPFP failure number 2. If you like the driving experience of the E60, why not get a 550 if (and probably when) the HPFP fails again?
+1, talk the dealer into giving you their cost on a new 550 with NA V8 power as a trade on a buyback, you will immediately fall back in luv again with the roundel, and can join the WE HATE TURBOs in BMWs Fan Club!!!

Hope it gets worked out
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Contributors

it might be the 3rd day without your car but its deff my fourth week without your affection
Old 01-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Arrow

No one should have to buy a V8 in order to enjoy their BMW. If that's the case, BMW, the company, has some major issues for their future. Given their growing reliance on these turbo motors to meet CO2 and MPG regs / desires of their buying public (like me), it's shocking that they're allowing this to happen. I can't imagine what this is doing to their Consumer Reports ratings for example -- don't even want to look.

Every engineer employed by them should be working on a solution and everything else should be put on hold until they resolve it. Kind of surprised the press hasn't caught wind of this. Yes, some folks are perfectly fine, but too many are having problems for this to be justified in any way. I can't wait to buy the new F10 535, but there's no way it's even on my shopping list if I keep reading threads like this one.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Does Europe use E10 fuel? Has anyone confirmed it's the Ethanol that kills the pumps?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1085128
+1, talk the dealer into giving you their cost on a new 550 with NA V8 power as a trade on a buyback, you will immediately fall back in luv again with the roundel, and can join the WE HATE TURBOs in BMWs Fan Club!!!
Hope it gets worked out
Fall in love with a "new" car that's already outdated? Again - it would have to be one SWEEEEEEEET deal. And hating BMW turbos is like spitting in the wind at this point.

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1085277
Does Europe use E10 fuel? Has anyone confirmed it's the Ethanol that kills the pumps?
I'm not sure about Ethanol being used in Europe. But I do know that I've used Ethanol-mixed gas in ALL of my cars and have absolutely no problems. Unless Ethanol somehow makes gasoline thicker (which I doubt) the problem is tied to the FP design and/or manufacturing.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

well they claim the fuel pump is fine. they replaced my spark plugs and injectors. for some reason i think they are bending the truth. I would love to know if there really is a new fuel pump in the car. It is possible, because I made reference to the lemon law, they know that if my fuel pump was bad, one more time and BMW takes the car back. Makes me question if they put a new fuel pump in and just told me they did injectors to buy themselves some breathing room.

worst of all, i forgot to tell them to not wash my car. they brutalized my black paint. this car has never looked so bad. It looks like they used sand paper to wash the car.

I have a solution for this piece of shit. gas can and a match. I think that is the only way to correct the paint.

"His car will probably break down again, now he can look like shit on the side of the road"

I am joking, watch my car catch fire tomorrow and my insurance company finds this post. I would never actually do that.

In all fairness to the service manager, she was great, nice, helpful, got me a loaner no problem. I almost feel bad implying that they may have in fact replaced the fuel pump under the guise of replacing the fuel injectors... which i did mention on the phone... she wasn't having that accusation
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1085936' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:16 PM
well they claim the fuel pump is fine. they replaced my spark plugs and injectors. for some reason i think they are bending the truth. I would love to know if there really is a new fuel pump in the car. It is possible, because I made reference to the lemon law, they know that if my fuel pump was bad, one more time and BMW takes the car back. Makes me question if they put a new fuel pump in and just told me they did injectors to buy themselves some breathing room.

worst of all, i forgot to tell them to not wash my car. they brutalized my black paint. this car has never looked so bad. It looks like they used sand paper to wash the car.

I have a solution for this piece of shit. gas can and a match. I think that is the only way to correct the paint.

"His car will probably break down again, now he can look like shit on the side of the road"

I am joking, watch my car catch fire tomorrow and my insurance company finds this post. I would never actually do that.

In all fairness to the service manager, she was great, nice, helpful, got me a loaner no problem. I almost feel bad implying that they may have in fact replaced the fuel pump under the guise of replacing the fuel injectors... which i did mention on the phone... she wasn't having that accusation
I think they didn't tell you or record that they replaced the fuel pump to save their ass from lemon law...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1085937' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:21 PM
I think they didn't tell you or record that they replaced the fuel pump to save their ass from lemon law...
guess i am not the only one to think that. i wish there was a way to find out.

Quick Reply: And I wait... HPFP service number 2