Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

So I brought my car in for servicing today. The two main things I wanted fixed, aside from the free, first maintenance check-up, were:

1. iDrive update to the latest version

2. Auto-Dip side mirror issue.

Here's what they told me regarding the iDrive update. I need to know if this is true or if they are complete idiots. They said that in order to upgrade to the latest version, there MUST be something faulty with your current version. I made up a story and said that when I selected an option (Nav, Ent, Climate, etc), it would stall or just think and take forever. I guess this is somewhat true. That reason worked for them. When they called me back, 8 hours later, they told me this..."It must be the phone you are using and that you should upgrade to the latest version of the software on the phone". Meanwhile, I have a RAZR and I know that is defintely not the issue. They also said that they couldn't start the update while doing all the free manintenace work on the car. Some crapola story about it interfering with the update. What a joke! They also said it could take anywhere from 2 hours to 8 hours and if the update doesn't go smoothly, they would have to start all over again. So now I have to bring my car back again and make another appointment for this stupid update.

Is this true? For one, do you really need to have a fault with your current software version for them to upgrade? I thought this was free? And second, how long does it really take to do the actual update?

As for the mirror, I was having issues with the mirror going back to it's original setting after it would "dip" when I put the car in reverse. I told them it didn't always happen and that they would have to play around with it a lot. Of course, they tell me that everything seems fine and that the motor is working properly.

Do these people know who they are talking to? I'm not some idiot that just walked into the shop and could care less about my BMW. I'm a die-hard, E60.net member and know more about my freakin' car than probably 80% of their entire staff!!! LOL!

Maybe it's me or maybe it's NY BMW dealers, but these guys are IDIOTS! I never had this issue with my E39 when I lived in CA. Ughhh...

The nice part though was that they gave me a loaner which turned out to be a 335i. Too bad I can't beat the crap out of this car like I can with a rental. I'd trash it if I could.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Hey C,

I feel your frustration. I think most of BMW dealerships are idiots, and then there are those FEW good ones. Good luck with all that. I wouldn't want to be them if they screw up something! If they only cared about our cars as much as their own...
Old 08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='462231' date='Aug 24 2007, 06:07 PM
Hey C,

I feel your frustration. I think most of BMW dealerships are idiots, and then there are those FEW good ones. Good luck with all that. I wouldn't want to be them if they screw up something! If they only cared about our cars as much as their own...
I'm going in to get my car in an hour. I'm going to raise hell. The best part is, when BMW NA calls me to talk about my experience, I'm giving them "1's" across the board. All the service advisors have this piece of paper on their desk stating how giving them a "10" is like having BMW issue them their report cards on a personal level. And 10 is the best from a scale of 1-10. Oh boy...they are in for it!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='462231' date='Aug 24 2007, 06:07 PM
... I think most of BMW dealerships are idiots, and then there are those FEW good ones. our cars as much as their own...
And arrogant too. But then again, a lot of BMW owners are too!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Let's get back on topic here...

Do you need to have a reason to get the update and does it take 8 hours? Could they have done it while servicing the car?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributors

I'm leaving my house to go pick the car up right now. I'm cracking skulls when I get there! (That's from the movie, The Breakfast Club, in case you didn't know). Hahaha.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

I feel your pain cman, just hang in there. I'm going through the same crap with my iPod interface coding. The car has been in the shop for two days, they say they keep having to re-code because they keep getting errors

Anyways, I'm also interested in finding out if we need an excuse to get the iDrive update.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='462232' date='Aug 24 2007, 02:11 PM
I'm going in to get my car in an hour. I'm going to raise hell. The best part is, when BMW NA calls me to talk about my experience, I'm giving them "1's" across the board. All the service advisors have this piece of paper on their desk stating how giving them a "10" is like having BMW issue them their report cards on a personal level. And 10 is the best from a scale of 1-10. Oh boy...they are in for it!
Before you start going off on your dealer keep in mind a couple of things:
1. Your dealer is right about updating your software. BMW NA have instructed them not to update the software unless there is something wrong with the car that can be corrected with a software update. The dealer needs to verify the fault and it also must be stated in SIB in order for the dealer to give you the software update. Making up that something is wrong firstly the dealer can verify if its or it isn't and also it doesn't make you look good to them. I'd rather say to the dealer that I want a free software update and if there is a way to make it happen. So far this approach it has taken me a long way.

2. The software upgrade needs the car uninterrupted. That means no door, hood, trunk open or close or not even windows up or down. The BMW computers are somehow sensitive to detecting current fluctuations. Also your car needs to be hooked to the computer via a cable. How they can do maintenance if they have to lift your car? The dealers usually take care of all the maintenance issues first and when they are done they put the car aside and hook it up for a software upgrade. They dont want to risk not to be able to complete the software upgrade and start all over again.

In short, I think your dealer was right and probably the SA was not experienced enough to explain the details on how they do things. My suggestion is go easy on your dealer. You're better off to have him on your side if you know what I mean.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributors

C,

E60M5E60 is spot on with his two points mentioned. It can take up to 8 hours for a version update from what I've heard. My update (i forgot which version i stepped up to) did take 7 hours.

good luck
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='462237
Could they have done it while servicing the car?
Not concurrently.

Quick Reply: I have a question...