Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I actually had a fairly decent service experience!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Oct 2 2004, 01:58 PM
Taking a bus, a train or a taxi!?
Just kidding.
[snapback]40566[/snapback]
Actually, an '03 Range Rover (#1 preference), an '05 Porsche 911 (more than I want to spend), or a Jaguar XJ (undecided about new/used)
Old 10-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 2 2004, 03:00 PM
[quote name='Flowerfred' date='Oct 2 2004, 01:58 PM']Taking a bus, a train or a taxi!?
Just kidding.
[snapback]40566[/snapback]
Actually, an '03 Range Rover (#1 preference), an '05 Porsche 911 (more than I want to spend), or a Jaguar XJ (undecided about new/used)
[snapback]40592[/snapback]
[/quote]

...and I'm nervous about the Porsche because I'm afraid I'll end up with all the new car bugs all over again.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Contributors

The Porsche seems to be the most reliable in your list..

With your past experiences I'd go for something extremely reliable.
I'd say an Audi A6 if you can live with the new shape or a Lexus whatever they named that large one. GS I think.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Oct 2 2004, 03:04 PM
The Porsche seems to be the most reliable in your list..

With your past experiences I'd go for something extremely reliable.
I'd say an Audi A6 if you can live with the new shape or a Lexus whatever they named that large one. GS I think.
[snapback]40595[/snapback]
The '03 Range Rover is really good, reliability-wise.
Sorry if I offend anyone, but I just can't get into the Japanese or American "luxury" cars at all. They just don't seem luxurious at all to me. I looked at Lexus & Acura, and they just seemed like glammed up commuter cars, which is what they are. I like European luxury, period. ...and I prefer the English version of luxury the best. And when it comes to this caliber of vehicle, there's a lot more "like" and "want" involved than "need."
Reliability with Audi is absolutely terrible. I don't know a single person with one that hasn't had bad problems with theirs.
I've got my reasons for those 3 cars, and that's really what I've narrowed it down to. ...and another E60 isn't out of the question. I love the car, but I'm REALLY disappointed by the service and the way I've been treated. If that ever turns around, I may consider another one. If it doesn't, no way at all. The Land Rover dealer is fabulous, and I know I will be treated well. The Porsche dealer seems pretty good, and most of the people I know have good relationships with them. It's the same thing with Jaguar.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:24 PM
The '03 Range Rover is really good, reliability-wise.?
Sorry if I offend anyone, but I just can't get into the Japanese or American "luxury" cars at all.? They just don't seem luxurious at all to me.?
I looked at Lexus & Acura, and they just seemed like glammed up commuter cars, which is what they are.? I like European luxury, period.? ...and I prefer the English version of luxury the best.? And when it comes to this caliber of vehicle, there's a lot more "like" and "want" involved than "need."
Reliability with Audi is absolutely terrible.? I don't know a single person with one that hasn't had bad problems with theirs.
I've got my reasons for those 3 cars, and that's really what I've narrowed it down to.? ...and another E60 isn't out of the question.? I love the car, but I'm REALLY disappointed by the service and the way I've been treated.? If that ever turns around, I may consider another one.? If it doesn't, no way at all.? The Land Rover dealer is fabulous, and I know I will be treated well.? The Porsche dealer seems pretty good, and most of the people I know have good relationships with them.? It's the same thing with Jaguar.
[snapback]40644[/snapback]
Jaguar and Land Rover are both owned by Ford (an American Company).

Porsche makes a good car. I had a 928 about 15 years ago.

I know 2 people with Audis, an A6 and an A4 and they rave about them, no problems (owned by VW).
Old 10-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:32 PM
Jaguar and Land Rover are both owned by Ford (an American Company).

Porsche makes a good car. I had a 928 about 15 years ago.

I know 2 people with Audis, an A6 and an A4 and they rave about them, no problems (owned by VW).
[snapback]40647[/snapback]
Ford didn't purchase Land Rover until the end of 2001, at which point the new Range Rover had been nearly completed in concert with BMW. Much of the Range Rover is BMW technology-- same switches, steering wheel, brakes, engine, etc... Ford has absolutely nothing to do with it. Also, Ford has nothing to do with the XJ. The X and S, absolutely. But not the XJ. The Range Rover and XJ are still British vehicles produced in England.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:24 PM
? The <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Land Rover</span> dealer is fabulous, and I know I will be treated well.? The Porsche dealer seems pretty good, and most of the people I know have good relationships with them.? It's the same thing with Jaguar.
[snapback]40644[/snapback]

Thought you were talking about Land Rover because of this and not Range Rover.

Yuo are correct the Jaguar is made in England but to think that Ford has nothing to do with it would be incorrect. The top executives have many reasons to try to make as much of a profit as possible. To do this they would share a lot of parts and building methods. Before Ford took over Jaguar they had many problems with the electrical system as well as leaking oil and other items. They fixed this by training people in the methods that Ford uses for it's cars. The reason Ford was able to buy Jaguar was because they were financially in trouble. They did not turn this around by just buying them. They had to make a lot of changes and had obligations to stock holders and investers to make a profit. If they can use the same wire or switch on as many cars as possible that saves them the cost of R&D as well as manufaturing.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Also I am not trying to dissuade you from a vehicle that you may be potentially happy with. You just said that you didn't like American Luxury cars and I don't want you to experience problems like you have had with your BMW.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

DELETED
Old 10-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:57 PM
Thought you were talking about Land Rover because of this and not Range Rover.
[snapback]40655[/snapback]
Land Rover is the company. Range Rover is a model made by Land Rover. Land Rover also imports Discovery and Freelander in the US.

Ford part sharing does not begin until a model is thoroughly revamped. The XJ has not been changed, hence no Ford part sharing. And Ford generally only shares parts between members of the PAG with the premium models.

Quick Reply: I actually had a fairly decent service experience!