5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   How much did you drive the E60 before purchase? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/how-much-did-you-drive-e60-before-purchase-20639/)

hoopsrob 01-13-2006 06:02 PM

OK, you just agreed to sink +/- $60k (USD) in an E60. How much time did you actually drive the car prior to purchasing it?

carfreak 01-13-2006 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='223993' date='Jan 13 2006, 10:02 PM
OK, you just agreed to sink +/- $60k (USD) in an E60. How much time did you actually drive the car prior to purchasing it?

Had a 330i and received 5 series loaner cars when I took my car for schedule service. After driving them, I was in love.

znod 01-13-2006 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='223993' date='Jan 13 2006, 10:02 PM

Actually, I had a test drive. Then, when I got serious my dealer arranged for us to take one home to make sure it would fit comfortably in the tight space it is relegated to.

Stoley 01-13-2006 06:41 PM

My SA actually encouraged me to "open it up" and explore the car's limits. The dealership called him on his cell phone halfway through our extended test drive because someone had called the CHP on me :whistle:

I drove the backroads all the way back to the dealership...He sure was nervous, I understand it is him that get's the ticket when you are test driving a vehicle. :o

CoolTones 01-13-2006 07:04 PM

Prior to getting my E60 I had owned a manual transmission BMW for 7 years. I was very much interested in the SMG technology; HOWEVER, having heard some of the "quirky" behaviors of the SMG I felt it was necessary that I "try before I buy".

Fortunately for me one of the Bay Area BMW dealers had a 530i w/SMG. I must have visited over 5 times to test drive it. Very nice SA in that he would give me the keys and let me drive it off by myself. I practiced stopping on a hill, parking, shifting up/down,...the works. Just before I pulled the trigger to buy an E60 w/SMG I brought along my significant other to have her give it a go with SMG (Hey, do you think I'd want her to test out SMG for the first time on *MY* car???? :thumbsup: :P )

I've had my E60 w/SMG now for over 3 months and love it!
No Buyers Remorse here! :)
-CoolTones

miss525i 01-13-2006 07:29 PM

I was shopping for a new car and went for MB :whistle: I don't even know how I ended up taking the only e60 on the lot for a test drive (actually used 2004). The drive was less than 5 minutes and I was already sold on it. not that MB are not great...but I was ready for a more sporty car. Ordered my car a week later :D I absolutely love it. Glad I learn everything about the e60 here, so I could really decide on my next one...(mmmm....already did 550i White/black :devil:)

gwf545 01-13-2006 07:52 PM

I had (and still have) a 528i which I think is a great car. I always wanted a 540i, but when the 545i was announced, just based on what I read about it, I was sold. I went to the dealer simply to decide if it would be an SMG or a step. I really liked the SMG in concept, but it wasn't smooth enough in auto mode. So, step won becuase the SMG auto mode just didn't cut it.

UUronL 01-13-2006 08:32 PM

I actually inked the order before I ever got behind the wheel. At the time, my car's engine didn't exist so I didn't think the test drive would tell me much. After we were done with the paperwork, the dealer gave me the keys to an 05 530i with the 225hp engine, an automatic, and non-sport suspension. It was awesome, as I had expected it to be.

I knew the car was for me (with sport) because of the reports about flat cornering and body dynamics. I positively hate cars that float and lean and dive under cornering and braking forces. My last car did that and I hated it more than any other characteristic.

Turned out that the decision was a great one, even if I didn't get to drive the car the way I ordered it beforehand.

jdubbs 01-13-2006 09:08 PM

I test drove a 530i SMG three times, a 550i SMG once, and a 650i SMG once (which I count in my total because it's the same engine, body length/wheelbase, and transmission). In the end I was in love with the SMG and knew I would miss the 550's power if I got the 530...

sforshaw 01-14-2006 01:08 AM

The dealer kindly lent me an e60 (with the engine I needed) for a day :thumbsup: