Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

How does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
1. that is steep. the seal costs ~$40.
2. the sunroof needs to be initialized for the new seal....just a matter of holding the switch and running the sunroof through a cycle. and for some reason they program the car to tell it that the sunroof is changed...kinda dumb.
3. with as many electronics on these cars nowadays, everything is controlled by computers.
1) I was quoted just over $200 by my dealer, but I'm going to change the seal myself.

2) The reason they need to upgrade the software doesn't have anything to do with the initialization. It's because BMW realized the old seals weren't good enough, and the replacement seals are thicker. Doing a manual initialization (easy to do yourself) might not always work because of the tighter seal triggering the 'entrapment' response which will prevent the sunroof from closing and completing the initialization cycle (this may or may not happen). The software update takes into account the greater force required to close the sunroof against the tighter seal, and guarantees the initialization will work properly. Try changing it yourself, and if you can't initialize the sunroof properly, then you'll need to take it in for the software upgrade.

To the O.P., if you want a pdf of the service bulletin on this, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

i dunno being a temp myself and knowing how it is whe nyour boss is just trying to screw people i always hook people up with free work when i can if its slow,feels good you know people are always blown away you did something for free,thats pretty rare these days,good karma you know if you believe in that kinda stuff
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Bottom line is that they fixed it under warranty so why sweat the details?