Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Hi all. Just joined, just bought need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Need your thoughts / experience on this one please. I have just taken receipt of my ex demo 520d SE. 7,000 miles on the clock in Titanium Grey II with Bluetooth and CD Multichanger (normal cloth seats). Now I love the engine, love the size of the car and the colour is even growing on me. But....the seats, on long journeys, are proving to be uncomfortable. I test drove the car for 30 mins and loved it but on my recent 2.5 hour drive found it bad. Seats dont seem to offer support and the head rest doesn't reach my head so my head doesn't, well err rest. The 2.5 hour drive home was the same too.

I have the option of getting a 520d M Sport in Carbon black with Bluetooth and Dakota Black leather and will cost me about an extra ?4,500 sterling. Also has 7,000 on the clock and is actually 3 months newer.

2 local dealers have told me that they will not retro fit sport seats, they have tried and wont do it again. Does anyone know of any way to make the existing standard SE seats more comfortable or is the extra money worth it for the sport. I reckon the residuals on a sport with leather should be better anyway so wont be loosing too much cash in the upgrade process.

Sorry for the long post but after reading other threads am confused on the options of retro seat upgrades. It looks like my mistake wont cost me too much if I upgrade which is the only positive to having the shortest lived bmw ownership in history. For info, I came from a 320d SE Coupe so the firmer ride is not a problem.

Thanks all appreciate your time. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d M sport - Silver Grey and Leather Dakota Schwarz - 135 M wheel - Alu Cube - Navi Pro - Soundsystem - PDC

Hi,

I've a 520d M sport too with black Dakota leather but silvergray.

In my opinion I prefer the standard seat without mentioning the difference leather of cloth.
The sport seats arent that comfortable as they are meant to be. Lateral support is just weak. So no big difference in comfort.

I don't know what extra options you have on the SE version, but I think you have to take into consideration that for the 4500 pounds you get a complete aerodynamic pack, black headliner, sport seats, lowered suspension, m steering wheel and short shift gear lever and 18" wheels. Just a whole different car. It's really a bargain for the things you got for the 4500 pounds.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Members

Thanks, the only extras on the SE are bluetooth and cd multichanger. The sport has the bluetooth, leather and maple wood gloss finish as well as metallic paint. neither loaded on extras but what i need is there. i will get the aux in fitted for an ipod which can they can do for ?250. Difference is now looking like ?4,250 so getting better!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

I would change to the M-sport but not for the seats. The sport seats are the only thing I preferred on my e39; they were much tighter and hugged the body more.

Comfort seats are really good, the rest "average". I don't think that the sport seats are uncomfortable, but they are not best in class. Head rest same on standard and sport.

BUT the M-sport model has a lot of other qualities that make it stand out. The chassi is phenomenal.

/M

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='322824' date='Aug 15 2006, 06:06 PM
Hi guys,

Need your thoughts / experience on this one please. I have just taken receipt of my ex demo 520d SE. 7,000 miles on the clock in Titanium Grey II with Bluetooth and CD Multichanger (normal cloth seats). Now I love the engine, love the size of the car and the colour is even growing on me. But....the seats, on long journeys, are proving to be uncomfortable. I test drove the car for 30 mins and loved it but on my recent 2.5 hour drive found it bad. Seats dont seem to offer support and the head rest doesn't reach my head so my head doesn't, well err rest. The 2.5 hour drive home was the same too.

I have the option of getting a 520d M Sport in Carbon black with Bluetooth and Dakota Black leather and will cost me about an extra ?4,500 sterling. Also has 7,000 on the clock and is actually 3 months newer.

2 local dealers have told me that they will not retro fit sport seats, they have tried and wont do it again. Does anyone know of any way to make the existing standard SE seats more comfortable or is the extra money worth it for the sport. I reckon the residuals on a sport with leather should be better anyway so wont be loosing too much cash in the upgrade process.

Sorry for the long post but after reading other threads am confused on the options of retro seat upgrades. It looks like my mistake wont cost me too much if I upgrade which is the only positive to having the shortest lived bmw ownership in history. For info, I came from a 320d SE Coupe so the firmer ride is not a problem.

Thanks all appreciate your time. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='322858' date='Aug 15 2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks, the only extras on the SE are bluetooth and cd multichanger. The sport has the bluetooth, leather and maple wood gloss finish as well as metallic paint. neither loaded on extras but what i need is there. i will get the aux in fitted for an ipod which can they can do for ?250. Difference is now looking like ?4,250 so getting better!
250GBP is a rippoff for aux. I paif 70GBP in holland. I can fax u the bill and u can show it to your dealer !!

I have comfort seats and they are great. As tegel says the sports seats arent that much better so if you are really changing the car for the seats then you will be dissappointed! What you really need are comfort seats. Some people have done it before as a retrofit but agreed - its not that simple.

My feeling is that u should try and find another car with comfort seats then you will be the most satisfied. Or find someone with experience of retrofiting comfort seats. It is possible you just need to find someone willing to do it.

Can anyone here help on advise with retrofitting?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UrbanDriver' post='322824' date='Aug 15 2006, 05:06 PM
I tried the standard seats and bought sports seats... IMHO buy the M Sport model! The residuals are reporting about the same for SE and Sport so don't worry too much

You mention firm ride, but remember these baby's have runflats so the ride is poorer than poor! Lose the runflats at the first opportunity...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Members

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Had a test drive this morning and will be picking up the M Sport next week . The seats are more comfortable for me and the drive of the car is so fantastic I couldn't go back! I cant believe the difference between the SE and Sport. Other cars I've driven (probably including the 3 series coupe) the difference was there but only slight. The difference the Sport package makes on the e60 is incredible. Even with the 18" RFT the ride was comfortable.

The carbon black M Sport is also a good looking car IMO so wont be looking back. The only problem is I might start 'tweaking' the kit list now which will cost more!

Thanks again, great forum.