Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Hard Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I drove all the cars you did and the conclusion was that the BMW was so far ahead of the others regarding the driving experience that it didn't even seem like a fair comparison. My brother has a Lexus LS430, and it is a nice comfortable car. But the 545 is both comfortable and an incredible driving experience.

Lets face it "THERE IS NO CURE" Get the BMW!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 1 2005, 01:15 AM
....That said,? I would extend your lease and wait for a 2006 550i.? .........
I would NOT!! The current BMW lease rate on the 545 is outrageouly low (.001 MF) with a 61% residual rate on a 3 yrs 12k/ yr . Seriously... you'd be foolish to pass this on... You can get a fully loaded $68k 545 for $800/month.... that'z nuting futz!!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, ih82go !

Take the BMW now.
It's the ultimate driving machine!
You won't regret it.

There are problems on every car out there in the world. And the glitches on the E60 are mostly minor. The big issues seem to be solved.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Of course you're going to get biased opinions from this board, but here's my view. For perspective, among other cars, I've owned 4 Porsches ('99, '02 & '04 Carreras, and a '89 944), '96 525i (my company car in Amsterdam), '00 740i sport, '03 E55 AMG, and now '05 545i (with honorable mention to my high school car--a Fiat 124 spider, which infected me with the car bug!! )

I picked up my 545i 6 weeks ago. From a driving perspective, this is a terrific car. Great handling, steering, acceleration and brakes--yet still plenty comfortable and luxurious. Drives so much better than my E55 did. And so far so good--no problems. And the Logic7 stereo is the best factory system I've heard. Sure the iDrive boot up takes a bit, but to me that just means I don't hear the stereo for the first few seconds of driving--it's not like you have to wait before you can put the car in gear. Should it take that long--no. Is it that big a deal--also no.

As others pointed out, many of the issues you experienced with your 745Li can be attributed to being on the bleading edge. That's a lesson I also learned the hard way, and will not forget. There will always be issues with modern cars given how much technology they stuff into them (the Wall Street Journal had a good article on this a few weeks ago)--that's the price we pay.

Not to offend anybody, but I don't consider those other cars to be in the same league as the 5 series from a drivers perspective. If you want a cushy, gadget laden car, perhaps they're worth considering.

FWIW, I strongly recommend getting nav, if for nothing else than voice command, which makes most of the iDrive complaints a non-issue.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I only had an engine computer recall after 2 weeks with my 04 545iM (last summer), and since then no problem. I really do love this car, and just haven't had the problems you hear about.

Remember that forums like this are the gourmet drivers, who will notice and write about the slightest nuance or failing. Most seem to be happy with the car.

I drive 5 miles in traffic to work, and trust me, you will find times to draw on the talents of this car, even in a short drive!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

I'll always have BMWs. That being said, the Acura RL is EASILY the best value in the luxury car market.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Mar 1 2005, 08:35 AM
I drive 5 miles in traffic to work, and trust me, you will find times to draw on the talents of this car, even in a short drive!
[snapback]95636[/snapback]
Absolutely!!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Considering the things you said, I would go with a Lexus (I like the LS class best)
I got my 545 through ED last May/2004 and had no problems since.

I would never recommend a BMW to a person where driving was not priority one. So many other cars offer what you looking for, with driving as a secondary option.

Infiniti would be my second choice under your conditions.

I have experienced better Dealer service from both Lexus and Infiniti, BMW being last.

MB service has not been so great for my father inlaw
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

You suffered through the worst of it. As an early adopter with one of the first E60's I actually experienced less problems than I expected - I think I have the 7 to thank for that (so thank you).

Remember this is not only a board of die-hard enthusiasts with a decidedly positive bias but also a board of nit-picky-want-total-control-of-everything-type-A-overachieving-know-it-alls who will never be satisfied with anything other than perfection. Thank god.

Life is short, have fun, get the BMW, drive the living snot out of it when you can....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Mar 1 2005, 02:43 PM
Remember this is not only a board of die-hard enthusiasts with a decidedly positive bias but also a board of nit-picky-want-total-control-of-everything-type-A-overachieving-know-it-alls who will never be satisfied with anything other than perfection.
[snapback]95714[/snapback]
I have never agreed more totally with a derisive rant about me!

Quick Reply: Hard Decision