Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Hard Decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last three cars have been 7 series BMWs. My latest car, a 745LI is coming off lease within 6 weeks. I have suffered through the new 7 learning curve with enough maintenance and customer service issues, not to mention BMW dealer arrogance to drive me away from BMW and into the waiting arms of dealers and manufacturers who seem to want to earn my business.

My next car will not be as large as the 7 so I am looking at the usual suspect lineup of Infiniti M45, Acura RL, Lexus G, Cadillac STS, and of course the 5 series. So I go and drive this line up of seemingly capable (if you read the reviews) Bimmer competitors and though these autos should satisfy most normal people, I have found that I am not totally normal. For I think I want to sign on for what might be at least 3 more years of software glitches, dealer insensitivity, bugs, reboots and quite possibly the finest driving automobile that I have ever experienced. When I test drove the 545 with sport and active steering, my wife had to tell me to stop moaning in ecstasy?(maybe she was jealous).

My friends with 2004 5 series cars talk about software patches, slow I Drive, losing settings, false error message and very real frustration with Bill Gates? Windows CE revenge on loyal Bimmer fans. Now the reality is that in all the time I have owned my current 7, based on the fact that I am in traffic most of the time, I have driven my car an average of 24.7 miles per hour. So in reality the driving experience might possibly be less important than the experience inside an auto that will slowly creep me to and from work.

My question is:
Is it worth suffering for those brief moments of exhilaration when I get to drive my car on a Saturday or when the traffic clears?
Are the bugs in this car overblown or has BMW really somehow not figured out how to mesh mechanical with electronic? (Remember I have a 7 and I KNOW there are problems.)
Should I be posting this on Infiniti, Acura, Lexus boards because all of us Bimmer drivers are co-dependant anyway and we can?t admit the first step of our 12 step program?.which is admitting we are addicted. I know these other cars are not BMWs. I know that they will drive differently?and believe me - they are all pretty nice?but I am not certain I can kick my habit.
I really do not want to leave BMW, but how much can one person take? Especially when I am considering paying over $60,000 for a fully loaded monkey on my back.

Help me walk away or help me make a decision that makes some sense.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

let the worms spread from the can you just opened .. ;-)

good luck.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Forget the rest... either M45 or 545... would be my suggestion... And I'm just thinking... thinking... that maybe the E60 has less bugs than your E65... I didnt say no bugs... but less... So BMW STILL might be woth thinking about.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Members

If I'm buying a new car right now, M45 will be my second choice through Nissan employee purchase program from my ex-coworker for 2-3% under invoice. My first choice is waiting for 550i European Delivery :-)
Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome ih82go !

I'm not sure whether you have children yet but have you considered a coupe yet? A 645ci will be a good choice too, especially you said you don't need a large car like 7 series. But keep in mind that the rear seats are really 'cramp'.. i see the car as two-seater thou..
Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

You give a nice description of the love/hate relationship with the driving experience of the car and the new technology. Let's hope BMW is reading this board and takes notice.

I think given your commute I might go for the Lexus - more reliable and plush in day-to-day driving with the occasional acceleration-induced thrill on an off-ramp or passing a slower driver.

Nick
Old 02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ih82go' date='Feb 28 2005, 09:00 PM
...... quite possibly the finest driving automobile that I have ever experienced.
[snapback]95476[/snapback]
You will suffer if your do not get the 545i. I got a June production 2004. There was no other choice for me, I hardly tested any other cars. Having recently driven an Acura RL and an MB CLS, I can without doubt say that the 545i is the finest driving sedan of its size. Regarding your fears:

I honestly don't think you will suffer again. I did a pole look here that shows that most complaints are for the early adopters. You suffered with your 7 for the same reason. Yes I-Drive is slow to boot up. 20 secs vs Acura RLs 15.

I have 0 issues with my car. I would happily keep my lousy cup holders and slow booting than give up the drive.

That said, I would extend your lease and wait for a 2006 550i. The software will be stable, the navigation will have Birds eye and be more intuitive, the seals on the doors will be upgraded, better runflats etc. etc. It will be the 3rd year of E60 production. What a car you will have.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have had no issues with my 545i yet. Only some sqeauking door seals, which seems to have gone now...

It's hard to wipe of the smile from my face every time I step out of the car!!

Your a BMW man...you know it!!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

As a recent convert and the 6er not even broke in yet, I am probably not qualified to provide a lot of insite here. However, I LOVE my BMW experience to date. No issues with car or dealer,,,, yet. I know something will come up, but I cannot imagine what could possibly turn me off this car/make. All previous vehicles pale in comparison. I won't say they were great cars, but problems with car or dealers yes. My wifes Audi A4 Cabrio has been a good experience with car and dealer, but the car itself cannot hold a candle to any BMW I know now. As others have stated the bugs are getting ironed out, dealers are gaining experience and it should just be getting better all the time. Wait, if you must, for 550, 650 (if it fits your style) but know that any 5 series now will be great and a much better experience than your older 7.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 AM
JDN
Contributors

I have had issues with my 545, but they may be solved now. I've been trouble free for over a month (if you don't count the incident where rear lights came on while garaged) and am hoping for the best.

Even in heavy traffic, I still enjoy the experience. You have a dilemma.

Quick Reply: Hard Decision