Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Got BMW to replace my runflat tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:46 AM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finding reading this board more of a drag because people keep "quoting" (the blue text) and including heaps of stuff we have already read when they post their own two lines worth. For example dstomkins above ( hello!),
I had to scroll through lots of text I'd alraedy read just to read your two lines.
Is it necessary to keep quoting? can't you just put the post up ? It will still make perfect sense.

Is it just me who thinks this ?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

I just got my early Dunlops replaced at 14,500 miles at no charge. I started having problems at 10,500 miles and immediately took it to the dealer. They adjusted the air pressure and said the noise was the price you pay for low profile high performance tires.

Two months later a friend (dfndr) who got the same car from the same dealer started having the same problem at 10K. Meanwhile my tires were getting worse and now I could feel it as well as hear it. We put some pressure on the Sales Advisers who told us that BMW was replacing tires on a case by case basis.

Dfndr got new Bridgestone Run Flats and then a week later they gave me new Dunlop Run Flats (availability issue). I was assured that Dunlop had fixed the problem.

I can tell you that my car now rides better than when it was new and better than any of my previous BMWs. I am finally enjoying driving it. This will be the test to see if I get more than 10K miles on this set. If I don't, I will buy Non Run Flats at 25K miles.

If anyone is having problems I would suggest you get it looked at as soon as possible. When you are spending $60K on a 545i, why should you put up with it riding like a cargo van.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Members

Hey folks nice to meet everyone (been lurking for about a month, great site)!

I had my 2004 530i in the shop last week for a handful of issues, and the Dunlops were on the list. SA came back with the offer of BMW picking up 50% of the cost to replace (I had 10,500 miles, magic number according to them for 100% replacement cost was 9,999 miles) -- I refused because they would only put the Goodyear RF's on and that's not what I wanted (on top of which, in Houston we get a lot of rain and the Goodyear's have poor wet weather performance by most accounts).

I have a relative in the tire business, so I had him hook me up with a good deal on some Michelin PS 2's. So far the PS 2's are wonderful -- road noise is gone, bumps in the road not as noticeable, handling on par with the Dunlop RF's.

Hope that helps add to the body of knowledge.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GEARS5' date='Mar 7 2005, 09:27 AM
I just got my early Dunlops replaced at 14,500 miles at no charge.? I started having problems at 10,500 miles and immediately took it to the dealer.? They adjusted the air pressure and said the noise was the price you pay for low profile high performance tires.

Two months later a friend (dfndr) who got the same car from the same dealer started having the same problem at 10K.? Meanwhile my tires were getting worse and now I could feel it as well as hear it.? We put some pressure on the Sales Advisers who told us that BMW was replacing tires on a case by case basis.

Dfndr got new Bridgestone Run Flats and then a week later they gave me new Dunlop Run Flats (availability issue).? I was assured that Dunlop had fixed the problem.

I can tell you that my car now rides better than when it was new and better than any of my previous BMWs.? I am finally enjoying driving it.? This will be the test to see if I get more than 10K miles on this set.? If I don't, I will buy Non Run Flats at 25K miles.

If anyone is having problems I would suggest you get it looked at as soon as possible.? When you are spending $60K on a 545i, why should you put up with it riding like a cargo van.
[snapback]98201[/snapback]
Good to hear that the new Dunlops are "much better" than your first set ... I was thinking of tell my dealer to replace my Dunlops with another brand of RFs when my car arrives in May, but from what you are saying, so far so good ...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, bakersdozen !
Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

I just picked up my car after it was at the dealer for a day. Had it in for Anti-window trap fix(3rd time), mysteriuos creaking noises, re-calls, throttle delay, and checking Dunlop Runflats. Through the process upgraded to 15.2 software.

Everything seems to be fine including, windows work, I-Drive boots up quicker, throttle delay gone however, i'm a little dissapointed with BMW's answer to the Dunlop runflat issue of covering 50% of the purchase of new Bridgestones.

My dealer claims that BMWNA's policy is the 10,000 mile mark based on VIN evaluation. They will swap tires - Bridgestone for Dunlops - at 100% their cost if you're not passed 10,000 miles on the Dunlops. I happen to be at 14,000. While this explaination made some sense considering, i've driven 14,000 on a set of tires and want new ones however, after driving around today for work the noise was unbearable to the point people can hear it while on my cell phone, not on speaker phone - just standard cell phone and earpiece. The ride seems more harsh and the noise getting louder as well.

I asked if I could apply the 50% coverage to a new set on non-runflats that I purchase and have shipped to the dealer and they said no.

Please understand that I really like this car and consider driving nothing else (except M5) but, I don't think I should be noticeably bothered by the sound of my tires after 14,000 miles.

Between my dealer Service Manager and BMWNA I will be seeking a better solution. thanks for listening...
[snapback]96895[/snapback]
[/quote]]

After reading a few replies and driving a bit on the freeway after getting my car back - I realized the tire roar [dunlops Rfs] that i'm experiencing is unacceptable.

I called the Service Manager at my dealer and told him just that. Even after he had the PUMMA tkt returned by BMWNA stating they would only cover 50% - he escalated and just left me a voice message that BMWNA will cover 100% for the replacement of my Dunlop RFs to Bridgestone RFs.

Thank you all for replying and info provided!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Glad to hear that your persistence paid off. You won't believe the difference it makes in ride and handling by replacing those horrible Dunlops.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

I've never noticed it. Can you hear it with the windows up?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Mar 10 2005, 08:07 PM
I've never noticed it.? ? ? Can you hear it with the windows up?
[snapback]99877[/snapback]
Yes - the tire roar got progressively worse after about 10,000 miles...notice it more on the freeway vs. around town...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, bakersdozen !

Quick Reply: Got BMW to replace my runflat tires!