Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Finally pulled the trigger!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:27 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

Well, your humble co-founder has finally placed an order for a new E60. It only took me a couple of years! (Actually, it was a combination of my new wife making me promise not to buy a car until after the wedding, and feeling like a 545i or 550i was a bit impractical in Wisconsin. Wedding and honeymoon pictures on our website, by the way...click Wedding and Honeymoon Photos below the picture!)

So, being in Wisconsin, it was the US introduction of the AWD xi models that finally made me jump. This morning, I placed an order for a 2006 530xi. I'm wondering if I can bring the intelligence of the membership to bear on my purchase. I'm open to suggestions:

2006 BMW 530xi
Silver Gray
Manual Transmission
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Maple Trim
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Heated Front Seats
Xenon Adaptive Headlights
Fold Down Rear Seat
Comfort Access
18" Style 123 wheels
Navigation
Head Up Display
SIRIUS Satellite Radio

What I'm not getting:

Active Cruise Control - I have an opportunity to use cruise about once a year
Park Distance Control - If I don't know how to parallel park yet, I'm in trouble [Edit: on everyone's advice below, I changed my mind and added PDC!]
Comfort Seats - I like the sport seats better
SMG - Want a conventional manual
Rear Seat Heating and Rear Side Airbags - almost never have rear seat passengers

And one thing I really wanted, but I can't do unless I want to order it separately, is Style 166 (E60 M5) wheels. Oh well. The 18's with the runflats should be nice.

So, any suggestions or changes? The only thing I'm really having trouble with is making up my mind on Titanium Gray versus Silver Gray, and I need to decide before my order is locked tonight! My E39 is essentially Titanium Silver, and I've always liked how it tends to not show things like dust, dirt, salt, and waterspots. I'd like to go a little darker, and I'm wondering what those of you with Titanium Gray (as opposed to Silver Gray) think of it along those lines. Val and I are stopping by the dealer tonight, so maybe she can help me decide. [Edit: I decided on Silver Gray!]

Also, are the 18" optional wheels with the Sport Package always runflat tires?

How is Treo 650 Bluetooth pairing with the latest Treo firmware working these days?

What are the different ways I can follow this car through its production? I gather much of that information has to come from my dealer until a VIN is assigned.

And lastly, I'm one of these people who will always want to have the latest firmware in the vehicle. When and how do these updates get sent to BMW centers, and what's the best way to always ensure that they do the updates for you?

For this purchase, I dealt with Andy (the sales manager) and Chad at Zimbrick BMW in Madison, WI. It was a very pleasant experience; I came in with my numbers, and they were glad to give them to me. In fact, I ended up doing better than my own goals on the price.

In closing, I just want to take the opportunity to say how pleased I am with how this community has grown into a fun and helpful hub for E60 enthusiasts. You'll probably be seeing more of me around now that I'll be joining the ranks.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Congratulations Das. The spec looks great. One thing that I have that I would miss if I didn't have it is the PDC. Comes in more useful that I expected it would, and apart from the visual display the audio is directed from speaker nearest the obstruction. Came as standard on mine, but if I ordered another E60 where it was an option I'd take it. For color, I like both of your options. Personally I prefer the Silver Gray (not that I'm biased in any way as that's what I have) but both look great on an E60. Silver Gray looks spectacular on bright days (particularly on a clean car). I get more compliments on the color than on the car itself to be honest!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributors

get the PDC - it really is very good and more useful than you think.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Congrats Dave! Great specs! When is your car due for delivery? I still have about 5 weeks left before my new one arrives.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

Thanks on the PDC advice...maybe I'll have to rethink that.

As for the delivery time, they're thinking first or second week of November! Apparently I'm catching my dealer right at the beginning of an allocation and right before a commit to production. Not entirely sure, but it apparently means it may only be about six weeks!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by mathmos' date='Sep 19 2005, 01:41 PM
get the PDC - it really is very good and more useful than you think.
[snapback]172385[/snapback]
Nav is good if you travel a lot and/or don't know your way around town. I live in Houston and travel some distance to difference places. I find that using my laptop w/gps is a lot more helpful (bigger screen, can type, watch movies). Besides, some members complained about it being slow responses. Just my 2 cents.

PDC - yes, get it. It come more handy than you think. It's directional sound too.

Rear headed seats - Don't forget about the kids to come!!!!

Congrats!!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Good call .... 4 wheel drive makes a lot of sense in Madison.

I like the choice of silver gray (and black interior), which I think will look good in every season.

I would suggest adding the heated rear seats. It's not much additional money, and if you are just married there may be little das's soon who would enjoy the warm leather in back. And it might be better in resale down the road. I also find myself using the heated rear seats to transport take-out dinners and keep them warm in the winter. (now there's a helpful tip you'll never get from Martha Stewart).

The only downside, as many others can attest, is that the wait is a killer. I've spent way too much time tracking the production and shipping ... but it's all we can do at this point.

Enjoy it.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

I have titanium gray and I love it. Everyone I know loves it. You will love it.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 330i

Das, you MUST get PDC. I used to feel the same way as you, but parallel parking is not the same as it used to be. Way back when, bumpers actually protected your car from, well, "bumping". Even my E46 had a black strip across it for protection. Not the E60. Nothing there. Nowadays, a little 2.5 mph bump will cost you $1000 in repainting and a bumper cover. I understand that you can't stop people from hitting you, but you surely can help yourself. Get it. It's actually VERY COOL.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

I've got a 530xiT on order and have been tracking it through the BMW Owners Circle web sit. It seems to be up to date (9/8/2005 build, 9/13 on the boat). I expect delivery in Seattle around the third week of October.

Since the sports package on the xi does not include any suspension upgrades, why not save the $1300 and get the wheels and tires you really want. I'm getting the style 124 wheels with Pireli PZero all season NON Run Flats for around $1900.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger!