Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Finally,.....I was able to order my 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 02:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been waiting and ready for more than a year now to order a new BMW and was finally able to do it a couple of days ago. I first saw some pre production E60's in Cannes in May 2003. I loved the car, but at the time I was interested in getting an E63. When it became clear that I would not be able to do that due to price and practicality I immediately decided to go for the E60. It was not really a sacrifice because I love the E60 design. After that it was a wait for BMW to make all options available and solve some of the problems, which meant waiting for the 2005 model and getting one of the first available MY 2005 Euro Deliveries in October. Then about a month ago it seemed like I would not be able to do this until next Spring/Summer due to my work schedule. Finally a few days ago I found out that I would most likely have a two week window in early October when I could get away from work and I was able to get an October 8 pick up date in Munich. Barring any more changes in my work schedule I should be able to keep this date, otherwise I may have to cancel the order or reschedule the pick up.

I had always intended to try to order the car in Stratus Gray with a Truffle Brown interior, but as expected the folks at BMW NA Euro Delivery did not want to deal with the special order. So I ended up ordering the Titanium Gray II with the Auburn Dakota Leather and almost all available options.

Now comes the wait. This would be my third Euro Delivery and I would not buy a BMW any other way. I obviously could not do ED for my wife's X5 since it is built here in the US, but if a BMW is built in Europe I would always recommend doing an ED. The wait to pick up the car in Munich and then the redelivery in the US is long, but it is worth it.

I'm getting excited.......can't wait
Old 08-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Members

I have been waiting and ready for more than a year now to order a new BMW and was finally able to do it a couple of days ago. I first saw some pre production E60's in Cannes in May 2003. I loved the car, but at the time I was interested in getting an E63. When it became clear that I would not be able to do that due to price and practicality I immediately decided to go for the E60. It was not really a sacrifice because I love the E60 design. After that it was a wait for BMW to make all options available and solve some of the problems, which meant waiting for the 2005 model and getting one of the first available MY 2005 Euro Deliveries in October. Then about a month ago it seemed like I would not be able to do this until next Spring/Summer due to my work schedule. Finally a few days ago I found out that I would most likely have a two week window in early October when I could get away from work and I was able to get an October 8 pick up date in Munich. Barring any more changes in my work schedule I should be able to keep this date, otherwise I may have to cancel the order or reschedule the pick up.
Congrats! I know how you feel about waiting for all the options to be available. I've lurked on almost all of the BMW boards for about two years now waiting for the right moment to make my order. I'm picking up my 545i on October 15th with pretty much the same list as yours (I will have black interior with anthracite though). This will be my first ED and BMW. How did you cope with the waiting with your previous cars? I haven't even started waiting for the car to be delivered to the states and its killing me .
Old 08-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Congratulations!!

Strange that in the us you cannot get certain colour options not even with ED. Now you have to wait for the car.. it's killing, I know because I'm waiting too haha.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Please take lots of pix so we can vicariously travel with you on your Euro Delivery Adventure!!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Members

Hey rodybmw,

I am pretty much in the same situation you were in. My finances are holding me back right now from getting my E60 but their is light at the end of the tunnel. Congrats on your order and hopefully soon I will join you. And yes i will also do the Euro Delivery
Old 08-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HurstTX' date='Aug 6 2004, 05:28 AM
...I'm picking up my 545i on October 15th with pretty much the same list as yours (I will have black interior with anthracite though).? This will be my first ED and BMW.? How did you cope with the waiting with your previous cars?? I haven't even started waiting for the car to be delivered to the states and its killing me
There is no question that the wait is hard and frustrating but there are certain perks for me that more than offset the inconvinience of the long "double wait". To start with you have to remember you are more or less getting the car AND a European trip for the same price as the car by itself if you were to get a US delivery. I love visiting Germany and will jump at any opportunity to do so. This is the perfect opportunity because I get to do many of my favorite things all at the same time: Going to Germany, buying a new BMW, picking it up at the factory, and then driving it on German Autobahns and roads. So thinking of all these things everyday, as well as just the car itself make the wait for Munich delivery not all that hard and also exciting.

The harder wait is the redelivery after you turn in your car in Europe and come back to the US. For one thing I always get depressed when coming home from a trip (regardless of Euro Delivery or not). Then on top of that you are leaving your new baby and won't be seing it again for up to 8 weeks (depending on your location in the US). It is like getting married and going on your honeymoon for a few days and then having to leave your wife and not see her for two months.

Actually this time it won't be as bad as the wait for my first ED on a 1995 M3. I went back and forth for 6 months with BMW NA with me requesting special colors or options and them coming back to me in 2 or 3 weeks with a denial. So by the time they accepted my order without ANY special options or color it was 6 months after the process first began. It then took about 3 months for the car to be available for pickup in Munich and another 6 weeks to get it back to California. So the whole thing from my first order to the time the car arrived in California was almost 11 months

So just hang in there it will be an awsome experience
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HurstTX' date='Aug 6 2004, 05:28 AM
... It is like getting married and going on your honeymoon for a few days and then having to leave your wife and not see her for two months.
Another one for the funniest lines section.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Guest_AkiraX

Has SAT/NAV issue been resolved yet? The last options sheet for a 545i explicitly said NAV and SAT cannot be ordered together. This was on a 2005 545i options sheet....
Old 08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Guest_AkiraX

Here's the link. Is this valid or out of date.

US 545i 2005
Old 08-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Aug 6 2004, 02:55 PM
[quote name='HurstTX' date='Aug 6 2004, 05:28 AM']...I'm picking up my 545i on October 15th with pretty much the same list as yours (I will have black interior with anthracite though).? This will be my first ED and BMW.? How did you cope with the waiting with your previous cars?? I haven't even started waiting for the car to be delivered to the states and its killing me
There is no question that the wait is hard and frustrating but there are certain perks for me that more than offset the inconvinience of the long "double wait". To start with you have to remember you are more or less getting the car AND a European trip for the same price as the car by itself if you were to get a US delivery. I love visiting Germany and will jump at any opportunity to do so. This is the perfect opportunity because I get to do many of my favorite things all at the same time: Going to Germany, buying a new BMW, picking it up at the factory, and then driving it on German Autobahns and roads. So thinking of all these things everyday, as well as just the car itself make the wait for Munich delivery not all that hard and also exciting.

The harder wait is the redelivery after you turn in your car in Europe and come back to the US. For one thing I always get depressed when coming home from a trip (regardless of Euro Delivery or not). Then on top of that you are leaving your new baby and won't be seing it again for up to 8 weeks (depending on your location in the US). It is like getting married and going on your honeymoon for a few days and then having to leave your wife and not see her for two months.

Actually this time it won't be as bad as the wait for my first ED on a 1995 M3. I went back and forth for 6 months with BMW NA with me requesting special colors or options and them coming back to me in 2 or 3 weeks with a denial. So by the time they accepted my order without ANY special options or color it was 6 months after the process first began. It then took about 3 months for the car to be available for pickup in Munich and another 6 weeks to get it back to California. So the whole thing from my first order to the time the car arrived in California was almost 11 months

So just hang in there it will be an awsome experience [/quote]
Very good write up.. If I was in the US I would go the same route as you did even if it made the waiting a little harder...

Fortunately I live next to Germany so if I want to try the car at 250 km/h I just hop over the border in 45 minutes and race to oberhausen... I love being dutch.. (sorry a bit patriotic)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally,.....I was able to order my 2005 545i