Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Finally decided - Paint Protection Film - Picture

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I've been researching the options available for paint protection. In my area (Washington DC) most independent shops (who do the actual work for many BMW dealers) charge between $800+ and $1100 for a 5 series. My dealer said he would order the BMW NA film pieces for the prices listed in the accessories catalog (a little over $300) but the dealer's installer charges $500 on top of that.

I have no idea what film BMW uses for the OEM parts, and it is unclear how much coverage there is and what the warranty is on the pieces against yellowing/fading/cracking.

Star Shield makes a kit that they sell for $337, but the installers here wouldn't warranty a kit I brought them, and one wanted as much as $800 to install a kit he didn't source. Bad news.

Luckily, a friend of mine who is getting a Lotus Elise hooked me up with some very useful information here:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=premier

This link not only talks about various protection films and their relative qualities, it identifies an excellent installer. The company referenced is doing a "roadshow" and will be in the DC area between May 5 and 17th (give or take). They will do a very comprehensive kit for $745, and a more normal kit for $590. I might have to let my new car sit for a week or two until they arrive (depending on when my car is delivered), but it will be worth it.

The image depicts the $745 kit. The $590 kit stops right past the bends in the bumpers, leaving the sides exposed.
Attached Thumbnails Finally decided - Paint Protection Film - Picture-5_series_e60__04__.jpg  
Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting your research. I'm undergoing the same investigation for my new 530i that is currently on the transatlantic cruise. Like you, I'm trying to identify the best material and the real challenge of finding a good installer.