Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Extendid Maint Agreement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Okay here's my delimma....my factory maintenance agreement is about to expire next month and the dealership wants to charge me $1800.00 to extend the maintenance agreement for another 2 years, however when I looked over the estimated cost of what services are required over the next 2 years the only expensive thing on the list is a brake job. The other items are just service checks and oil intervals.

I like to think of myself as mechanically inclinded and to be honest I enjoy working on my car as I find it relaxing in a sense and I take pride in doing the work right. So my question to you guys is has anyone extended their maint. agreement? what are your thoughts, is it worth it? I should mention im at the 31K mark.

being a 1st time BM owner I just wonder if its really a pain maintaining an E60 yourself.

thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='689896' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:47 AM
Okay here's my delimma....my factory maintenance agreement is about to expire next month and the dealership wants to charge me $1800.00 to extend the maintenance agreement for another 2 years, however when I looked over the estimated cost of what services are required over the next 2 years the only expensive thing on the list is a brake job. The other items are just service checks and oil intervals.

I like to think of myself as mechanically inclinded and to be honest I enjoy working on my car as I find it relaxing in a sense and I take pride in doing the work right. So my question to you guys is has anyone extended their maint. agreement? what are your thoughts, is it worth it? I should mention im at the 31K mark.

being a 1st time BM owner I just wonder if its really a pain maintaining an E60 yourself.

thanks
The brakes are pretty easy to manage on the E60 - far cheeper than the 1800 buck hit. Oil changes can be done for far less than <$100 for the mechanically inclined. Stock filters should be under $30. If you enjoy doing your own work, save yourself significant dough and use it for mods.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='689896' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:47 AM

thanks
I extended the maintenance agreement 2 years when I purchased it. I was thinking I might as well...better to be safe than sorry. I wasn't sure what the cost of those service checks would come to and seemed that 1800 wasn't too bad over 2 years, I know I had a couple of repairs on my Chrysler that came to more than that in 2 months. I'm, more electrically inclined than mechanically but the cost of those electronics scare me more!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributors

maintenance and tune ups are very easy diy... save the money for mods!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='689914' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:59 AM
I extended the maintenance agreement 2 years when I purchased it. I was thinking I might as well...better to be safe than sorry. I wasn't sure what the cost of those service checks would come to and seemed that 1800 wasn't too bad over 2 years, I know I had a couple of repairs on my Chrysler that came to more than that in 2 months. I'm, more electrically inclined than mechanically but the cost of those electronics scare me more!

Piece of mind can be priceless. That said, it's unfortunate BMW doesn't combine the 2 - extended warranty = extended maintenace. The electronics wouldn't be covered under the extended maintenance. Only brakes, fluid changes/top offs, filters, lighting (?) and other maintenance stuff. Extended warranty coverages are a whole other matter lol.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save the money.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

?

NO
Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Members

I was considering the same thing for my '06 530I. It is out of Warranty in May of next year. One dealer wanted $2600 and the other wanted $2400. I did a search and there are varing opinions. It also appears $1800 is a fair price.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='689914' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:59 AM

+1 here better be safe than sorry
Old 10-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='690798' date='Oct 11 2008, 06:54 PM
+1 here better be safe than sorry

Remember - the extended maintenance agreement IS NOT the extended warranty. If those expensive electronics go out and you only have the extended maintenance the op talks about, you will NOT be covered! But, if you need an oil change cause you can't see the mileage on your blanked out idrive screen, then they'll change your oil...or brakes...or whatever. Since spark plugs are rated for 100k - no freebee on those either as the extended maintenance agreement would have run out.

To summerize, to cover your car for both maintenance and repairs to electronics and such expect to fork over around $4000 or so. Of course, read the tiny print to be sure you'll be covered for the electronics, especially idrive-related components.