5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   Extended Warranty Mercury Insurance Group (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/extended-warranty-mercury-insurance-group-53124/)

ScorpioBMW1 04-07-2008 12:02 PM

Has anyone ever dealt with or purchased an extended Warranty from the Mercury Insurance group? If so how was your experience? They have a simple contract which lists items that are excluded from coverage rather than items that are covered. I like that very much. The Platinum plan costs $2495 for 4 years and 85k miles total on the odometer. The 100k mile plan costs 2880. From what I see this plan covers much more than the BMW extended warranty plan.

ScorpioBMW1 04-10-2008 01:16 PM

Anybody???

DINAN530i 04-10-2008 02:10 PM

not sure about mercury, i bought mine thru the dealer to be safe

DINAN530i 04-10-2008 06:38 PM

BYW i have heard mixed reviews on the Mercury warranty, i would try and go dealer or use Continental..

ScorpioBMW1 04-10-2008 07:07 PM

Continental doesnt offer exclusionary coverage rather they list what they do cover. I'm noy comfortable with that. IMO A police that tells me what they don't cover is easrier to understand

ScorpioBMW1 04-14-2008 02:01 PM

What does everyone else plan on doing about extended warranty coverage? Am I the only one who owns an 04 E60??

BlueMajik 04-14-2008 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpioBMW1' post='561444' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:01 PM
What does everyone else plan on doing about extended warranty coverage? Am I the only one who owns an 04 E60??

I purchased my E60 MY05 in Feb/08. I have a year left on the manufacturing warranty. At the time of purchase I also bought the Plantinum Mercury Policy. This is a mechanical policy only. It doesn't cover the "service" side of things. I am very picky and went through this policy with the agent at Mercury with a fine tooth comb.

There are a lot of things to consider when buying an extended policy. One main thing is will the company be in business in 6mos or 6 years for that matter. The policy is via the Mercury Insurance Company (I have my home and auto insurance through them) so this tells me they may not be going out of business any time soon.

Now for the coverage. I spoke to three local dealerships her in Socal. Crevier BMW, Long Beach BMW Nick Alexander BMW and Shelly BMW. Crevier Dealership sales the Mercury policy as their Extended Warranty option. The question I asked the dealer was "which warranty company do you like to use?" They said Mercury after their own of course. Most delearships aren't in the business of warranties. They all use 3rd parties (GE, Continental etc).

Long Beach BMW services Mercury Platinum policy as well. Israel at LBBMW said he writes the service for that policy and have had no problem with them paying. They cover most everything except the radio and service items. Oil changes, rotors brakes are not covered. Remember this is a Mechanical Breakdown policy. Emphasize the word "break". Worn out parts are not covered unless the "break" is because of the worn out part.

I paid about 2495.00 for my policy. 60mos 100k miles. This is from the day I purchased the policy. So from 2/11/08 to 60 mos + 138000 miles (car had 38k on it). Make sure you understand this as the "in service" date of the car is important. Some warranty companies will take the in service date and count from there.

I picked the things I know go wrong with BMW 5ers. Heating, doors, thermo, radiators, bushings etc and asked if each were covered. I would recommend you do this before purchasing the warranty. Also remember you get a money back guarantee. Full refund if you haven't submitted a claim. You can cancel and get your money back. The GE warranty was what I was comparing this one to. I would have went with GE, but most delearships didn't use them here in Socal. (Shelly BMW recommended them). They said Mercury uses "junk yard" parts. I asked him what he meant and he said they may not use the recommended part from the dealer. I asked Mercury about this and they said they use the parts that the dealer recommends.

Oh, the warranty can be sold with the car too.

ScorpioBMW1 04-15-2008 06:08 AM

THank you for all the info. I to plan on getting the Mercury Platinum policy. I just wanted to hear someone elses take on it.

joepoole 04-15-2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMajik' post='561456' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:19 PM
I purchased my E60 MY05 in Feb/08. I have a year left on the manufacturing warranty. At the time of purchase I also bought the Plantinum Mercury Policy. This is a mechanical policy only. It doesn't cover the "service" side of things. I am very picky and went through this policy with the agent at Mercury with a fine tooth comb.

There are a lot of things to consider when buying an extended policy. One main thing is will the company be in business in 6mos or 6 years for that matter. The policy is via the Mercury Insurance Company (I have my home and auto insurance through them) so this tells me they may not be going out of business any time soon.

Now for the coverage. I spoke to three local dealerships her in Socal. Crevier BMW, Long Beach BMW Nick Alexander BMW and Shelly BMW. Crevier Dealership sales the Mercury policy as their Extended Warranty option. The question I asked the dealer was "which warranty company do you like to use?" They said Mercury after their own of course. Most delearships aren't in the business of warranties. They all use 3rd parties (GE, Continental etc).

Long Beach BMW services Mercury Platinum policy as well. Israel at LBBMW said he writes the service for that policy and have had no problem with them paying. They cover most everything except the radio and service items. Oil changes, rotors brakes are not covered. Remember this is a Mechanical Breakdown policy. Emphasize the word "break". Worn out parts are not covered unless the "break" is because of the worn out part.

I paid about 2495.00 for my policy. 60mos 100k miles. This is from the day I purchased the policy. So from 2/11/08 to 60 mos + 138000 miles (car had 38k on it). Make sure you understand this as the "in service" date of the car is important. Some warranty companies will take the in service date and count from there.

I picked the things I know go wrong with BMW 5ers. Heating, doors, thermo, radiators, bushings etc and asked if each were covered. I would recommend you do this before purchasing the warranty. Also remember you get a money back guarantee. Full refund if you haven't submitted a claim. You can cancel and get your money back. The GE warranty was what I was comparing this one to. I would have went with GE, but most delearships didn't use them here in Socal. (Shelly BMW recommended them). They said Mercury uses "junk yard" parts. I asked him what he meant and he said they may not use the recommended part from the dealer. I asked Mercury about this and they said they use the parts that the dealer recommends.

Oh, the warranty can be sold with the car too.

Would you please give me the website.

Joe

ScorpioBMW1 04-15-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by joepoole' post='562161' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:44 PM
Would you please give me the website.

Joe

Here you go Joe :D http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/quoterequest.asp