Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have a 530 D M sport which I bought when iust was six months old. It goes out of warranty at the end of May. I have done a total of 26000 in the years I have had the car. So I have done 20000 in 2.5 years. The car has been a dream to own. The only problems I have had have been with the front brake discs which have warped twice and a new remote transmitter. Also new headlights after the originals leaked.

So all in all no real problems compared with other cars I have owned.

I was hoping to change it for new but the residual prices for part ex are so poor that I really cant justify the expense of a new car. I would have bought another 530D M sport.

So now the question. I am going to buy an extended warranty. It sounds like it will cost me about ?800 a year from BMW. This is for a comprehensive policy with recovery. Can anyone give me their experience with the BMW extended warranty system of late. I am not going to ask if its worth the money as clearly in the perfect world the car will never fail. However we know thats not true so best take out the best insurance I can.

Advice welcome.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi kjhkent,

I would say 800 pounds a year is not worth it.

Does it include free service?

Even if so, I would consider.
The front brake pads, the air filters and engine oils + filter may have to be changed.
The works go for some 500 quid including the job at the dealers.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kjhkent' post='833057' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:38 PM
Hi

I have a 530 D M sport which I bought when iust was six months old. It goes out of warranty at the end of May. I have done a total of 26000 in the years I have had the car. So I have done 20000 in 2.5 years. The car has been a dream to own. The only problems I have had have been with the front brake discs which have warped twice and a new remote transmitter. Also new headlights after the originals leaked.

So all in all no real problems compared with other cars I have owned.

I was hoping to change it for new but the residual prices for part ex are so poor that I really cant justify the expense of a new car. I would have bought another 530D M sport.

So now the question. I am going to buy an extended warranty. It sounds like it will cost me about ?800 a year from BMW. This is for a comprehensive policy with recovery. Can anyone give me their experience with the BMW extended warranty system of late. I am not going to ask if its worth the money as clearly in the perfect world the car will never fail. However we know thats not true so best take out the best insurance I can.

Advice welcome.

Do a search here and on other forums. There is a ton of info on this topic, especially in past 2 weeks or so.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Warranty direct, 350 for dealer repair warranty.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by KAF' post='833176' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:06 PM
Warranty direct, 350 for dealer repair warranty.

+1

Get an online quote, then do nothing - they will phone in a week or so and give you a cheaper deal and probably 13 months for 12 as well.

Get the warranty before your BMW one expires - pay a deposit so you aren't bothered by the 3 month "no claim" clause where they won't pay out. This can be covered by your existing warranty. Pay the balance for the year on the date youe BMW one expires. IIRC my deposit was ?30.

Luckily, so far I've not had to claim!

Mike
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Because you mileage is so low, I would go for the BMW Warranty as you are not likely to be caught out by their wear and tear clause.
This is what put me off - as my car has over 70k miles, and therefore likely to be caught out by the W&T clause. I went for warranty direct.

BMW also do a monthly policy, so if you are thinking of selling within a year, this maybe a good way to save money.

Also, why not considering putting up your excess to decrease your premium. Also, don't bother with the Rescue/Recovery package - just use Autoaid for this..........they cover you and your spouse on any car, not just the car ! .........All for about ?37 for the year.

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 316iT 2004 525DAT

From what I have been reading there are mostly 530Ds that are affected of this problem.

From the ETK we also see that there is different part numbers between 530D and 525D
525: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=40

530: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=40

Both from the 0304 production like my 525D.

Are there any 525Ds out there that have had this problem?
Or is it isolated to the 3.0l engines?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Members

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the question about warranties. I know some see them as a waste of money. But then again insurance always is, unless of course you have to claim and if you can get through that minefield it would have been the best decision you ever made. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If you are keeping the car, BUY THE WARRANTY!!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='833207' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:35 PM

+1

Get an online quote, then do nothing - they will phone in a week or so and give you a cheaper deal and probably 13 months for 12 as well.

Get the warranty before your BMW one expires - pay a deposit so you aren't bothered by the 3 month "no claim" clause where they won't pay out. This can be covered by your existing warranty. Pay the balance for the year on the date youe BMW one expires. IIRC my deposit was ?30.

Luckily, so far I've not had to claim!

Mike

I had to claim 10 days after buying the warranty, rear wishbones on my E61 needed replacing, there was a bit of argument over what parts were and were not covered, so I ended up with a bill for around ?300, but Warranty Direct paid up around ?700

Just renewed for next year, excess has gone up to ?75 and premium up to ?385, told them to forget it and the premium magically came back down to ?350.

Haggle with them, they WILL come down in price.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty