Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have about 400 miles before my warranty runs out. I will most likely keep my car for over 100k.

The BMW extended warranty is $3775. Normally I am not a fan of extended warranties (money makers for the dealers). A side from the minor stuff, CIP upgrades and door seals, the only real problem I have run into is a MAP sensor going out.

My concern is some of the costly systems on the car (CIP, Active Steering...)

Opinions?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

It appears that if you are keeping the car that long, definitely the extended warranty is necessary. Remember that a number of companies offer the coverage at a reduced price from BMW's. Your dealer may be able to recommend names for you to contact. This subject has also been covered here a number of times. A quick search should pull up all the info you need to make a wise choice.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Agreed, extended warranty a must but do shop around and read the fine print. The BMW warranty does cover some electronics such as iDrive and the radio etc. Some of the third party warranties do cover the electronics.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Sounds like a good idea to get the warranty. One thing - why so much $$? I purchased an '04 and the ext warranty was $1300, up to 100k.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='459416' date='Aug 16 2007, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea to get the warranty. One thing - why so much $$? I purchased an '04 and the ext warranty was $1300, up to 100k.
Was that the extended warranty or the extended maintenance?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributors

I got the ext maintenance for $1300...which covers all service.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Go to twinkidneygrill.com they are a BMW dealer in South Atlanta.

You can save a lot of money on the same BMW NA backed warranty.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

The OP is asking about the extended warranty and that is different from the extended maintenance. Usually the extended maintenance runs around 1200-1600 and the extended warranty runs over 3K. Extended maintenance is oil changes, brakes, etc. and the extended warranty is like a powertrain warranty.

Some cars have both, like if you have a CPO car and also purchased the extended maintenance or if you're the original owner of the car and purchased the Original Owner's Protection plan and an extended maintenance plan.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='459398' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:55 AM
Agreed, extended warranty a must but do shop around and read the fine print. The BMW warranty does cover some electronics such as iDrive and the radio etc. Some of the third party warranties do cover the electronics.

Thanks for all of the info and advice. I am still considering. twinkidneygrill.com was a good suggestion. That is saving me $400 ($3375).

I verified with my dealer that the coverage does include all electronics and i-drive. They only thing not covered is maintenance issues, so for example it will not cover brake rotors and pads, but will cover the rest of the brake system such as the abs.

I was told that the other warranties become more sticky with regards to certified maintenance, where the BMW warranty is not.

Any opinions would be welcome.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jsal' post='459429' date='Aug 16 2007, 04:34 PM
I verified with my dealer that the coverage does include all electronics and i-drive. They only thing not covered is maintenance issues, so for example it will not cover brake rotors and pads, but will cover the rest of the brake system such as the abs.
Did you actually read the contract or did you simply ask the dealer? I will have to get the paper contract from my friend but when I was selling my wife's X5 to him, I took out an extended warranty as a sweetner for the deal. My dealer explained some electronics such as the iDrive and radio are NOT covered by the BMW warranty. I only briefly skimmed the contract before handing it over with the old X5 but I do recall seeing language that seemed to back up my dealer's remarks. It is a bit strange because they have a small flier to read before purchase but you get sent a small booklet once the warranty is bought. I will get my friend to bring in the paperwork just to make sure who is right!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty