Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery Winter Pick up

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i. Twin Turbo I6, 6 Speed Manual, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Interior with Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim
Arrow

I just ordered my car via European Delivery. The following info is off the BMW site.

Important information regarding European pick up during winter months

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. When driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called "M+S tires"). There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes. It is the responsibility of the car owner driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. If you do not appropriately equip your vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during your drive, obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident as a result thereof, it is possible you may be cited for a violation of the law by the local authorities or be found to be grossly negligent according to the law. Other countries you may visit may also have similar laws.

If the Police find that you are not equipped with the appropriate items when the weather conditions deem them necessary, and if the officer feels that other traffic participants have been endangered, they have the authority to fine a driver 20 euros or 40 euros.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sylhety' post='498087' date='Nov 23 2007, 02:05 PM
I just ordered my car via European Delivery. The following info is off the BMW site.

Important information regarding European pick up during winter months

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. When driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called "M+S tires"). There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes. It is the responsibility of the car owner driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. If you do not appropriately equip your vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during your drive, obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident as a result thereof, it is possible you may be cited for a violation of the law by the local authorities or be found to be grossly negligent according to the law. Other countries you may visit may also have similar laws.

If the Police find that you are not equipped with the appropriate items when the weather conditions deem them necessary, and if the officer feels that other traffic participants have been endangered, they have the authority to fine a driver 20 euros or 40 euros.
I think the worst scenario is when the insurance company says that because you did not have winter tires, they will not pay for your damage on your car - effectively you lose the fully comp. this is an extreme case here in austria, don't know how things are in germany but they shoudl act in a similar manner..
Old 11-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='498092' date='Nov 23 2007, 08:15 AM
I think the worst scenario is when the insurance company says that because you did not have winter tires, they will not pay for your damage on your car - effectively you lose the fully comp. this is an extreme case here in austria, don't know how things are in germany but they shoudl act in a similar manner..
For European Delivery, the insurer, Allianz, might deny claims in cases where gross negligence can be proven (this comes directly from the director of European Delivery at BMW NA). The fine is the least of anyone?s concerns.

This is NOT new news by the way.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributors

typical germans - have to always copy the austrians
Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

There are independent entities from which you can rent a set of snows. you have to drop the car off in Munich, however.

Please see the sticky in the ED forum on bimmerfest.com for details.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='498120' date='Nov 23 2007, 10:08 AM
typical germans - have to always copy the austrians
Ach, that?s true!