Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

ED Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So today marks the six week anniversary since I dropped my ED car off in Nice. I live on the US east coast, so six weeks probably isn't so bad. But here's the rub . . .

The car got from Nice to the port of NY in 19 days and has now been at the port for more than three weeks. Over that time, I've been getting spotty or bad info from my dealer (delivery scheduled for Saturday, for Tuesday, etc.).

So I called BMWNA customer relations to see whether I could find the status of the car. They told me to call the ED department.

So I called the ED department at BMWNA. They told me they'd get back to me. They didn't. I called them back this morning (after waiting a week for the call back) and asked to speak to a manager. The manager told me that the car was "just released from the port". I asked what that meant - released to the VDC, released from the VDC, or what? She then told me that they "just handled literature" and that if I wanted any more info, I should call BMWNA customer relations.

So I called BMWNA customer relations - again. They told me that they couldn't access any further data and that I should call the dealer. When I told them that I couldn't believe that a BMW dealer has access to more info than BMW headquarters, they told me that they sold the car to the dealer and the dealer sold the car to me. Therefore, they have nothing to do with it anymore (I sh!t you not).

So yes, I called the dealer's GM. I have yet to hear back from him . . .

I had hoped this rant would make me feel better. It hasn't.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='438764' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:23 PM
So today marks the six week anniversary since I dropped my ED car off in Nice. I live on the US east coast, so six weeks probably isn't so bad. But here's the rub . . .

The car got from Nice to the port of NY in 19 days and has now been at the port for more than three weeks. Over that time, I've been getting spotty or bad info from my dealer (delivery scheduled for Saturday, for Tuesday, etc.).

So I called BMWNA customer relations to see whether I could find the status of the car. They told me to call the ED department.

So I called the ED department at BMWNA. They told me they'd get back to me. They didn't. I called them back this morning (after waiting a week for the call back) and asked to speak to a manager. The manager told me that the car was "just released from the port". I asked what that meant - released to the VDC, released from the VDC, or what? She then told me that they "just handled literature" and that if I wanted any more info, I should call BMWNA customer relations.

So I called BMWNA customer relations - again. They told me that they couldn't access any further data and that I should call the dealer. When I told them that I couldn't believe that a BMW dealer has access to more info than BMW headquarters, they told me that they sold the car to the dealer and the dealer sold the car to me. Therefore, they have nothing to do with it anymore (I sh!t you not).

So yes, I called the dealer's GM. I have yet to hear back from him . . .

I had hoped this rant would make me feel better. It hasn't.
I'd tend to be cynical about this kind of thing, believing that some unknown event has befallen your 550i. I'm sure you have photographs, know the mileage when you left it in Nice, and remember every blemish which it accumulated during your ED. When it does show up, I'd be all over it "like a cheap suit" to make sure some major or minor surgery hasn't been accomplished during the separation from the car.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Contributors

Ugh. It's got to be frustrating enough to be able to drive your car in Europe and then wait for it again. But to get the run-around!

Hang in there ... all your angst will be wahed away from the first moment you push the start button again.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Keep the faith, maybe it was slow getting through customs.

If it did sustain shipping damage, VDC is second only to factory repairs. You should be provided a summary of repairs (if any) performed by the VDC.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Smells like customs to me.

Keep the faith. I know redelivery is absolute torture.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='438771' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:53 PM
I'd tend to be cynical about this kind of thing, believing that some unknown event has befallen your 550i. I'm sure you have photographs, know the mileage when you left it in Nice, and remember every blemish which it accumulated during your ED. When it does show up, I'd be all over it "like a cheap suit" to make sure some major or minor surgery hasn't been accomplished during the separation from the car.
Yup . . . it was damaged in transit - both the rear bumper and front fender.

I gotta tell you, I'm not in the least bit upset about the damage. It happens. It's life. But I'm furious about all the "mis-statements" over the past few weeks. The truth came out late today only after repeated calls to BMWNA customer relations. I'm amazed to think that a dealer that I love has lost me as a customer.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

That sucks... sorry to hear... sad to see the horrible customer service.

thats how it is... ED are low in priority... Ordered cars are the highest in priority to be delivered to the customer and Dealer speced cars are next and ED cars are dead last.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='438904' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:28 PM
That sucks... sorry to hear... sad to see the horrible customer service.
+1. especially with those damages. hope everything turns out alright for you in the end.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I would suggest sending letters which are much more effective than phone calls. Be objective and factual. I have done three Euro Deliveries and generally everything goes well. However I had my 545 slightly damaged in a parking lot in Italy in 04. Italian drivers are not as skillful as Germans unfortunately. It took a few weeks extra at the VDC to repair it. The VDC body shop repairs were absolutely superb. I know where it was dinged and you literally could not tell that it been repaired even if you studied it from multiple close angles.