Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

ED July 1st

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi ED 7/1/2005. Silver Grey, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Sport, Logic 7, 18'' style 123 rims.

I am going to be picking up 2006 530 xi on Friday July 1st in Munich and traveling over the weekend to Paris for drop-off on Monday morning with return to Cincinnati later in the day. Does anyone have any recommendations on can't miss stops between Munich and Paris. I have also considered just staying in the Munich area for the weekend with Munich drop monday morning. Is the trip to Paris worth the effort, or should I stay around Munich. I will be traveling alone with 100% flexible itinerary. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Forget France, travel to central Italy. You'll love it. San Gimignano and Florence are a must imho.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi ED 7/1/2005. Silver Grey, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Sport, Logic 7, 18'' style 123 rims.

I have heard from many that Central Italy is beautiful, however Italy is the only country where a ED car is actually driven back to Munich after it is turned in. I'm not sure that would set well with me on a car with only a few hundred miles on it. I can see some punk opening up my new 530 on its return to Munich. No thanks.
Thanks for the reply Flowerfred!!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 5inally!!!' date='Jun 20 2005, 01:21 PM
I have heard from many that Central Italy is beautiful, however Italy is the only country where a ED car is actually driven back to Munich after it is turned in.? I'm not sure that would set well with me on a car with only a few hundred miles on it.? I can see some punk opening up my new 530 on its return to Munich.? No thanks.?
Thanks for the reply Flowerfred!!
[snapback]141263[/snapback]
You can drive back to Munich yourself from Florence in a day. Last year we headed south after ED in July. Munich to Venice is only 340 miles. Venice to Florence is 160 miles.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

There are so many great options, but the right one really depends on what you're looking for.

For my ED, I wanted to take advantage of autobahn speeds (yes, I ignored the break-in period!!) and I wanted to drive on as many of the great twisty mountain roads as I could. So I ended up doing a combo of German autobahns and Austrian alps and ended in Vienna.

But there are incredible mountain roads and beautiful summer sites going thru the Swiss Alps. Or drive as fast as you can on the autobahns north thru Germany to Frankfurt, Bremerhaven or Amsterdam (a very fun city).

Conversly, Paris, to me, is the capital of Europe (no offense to my English or German friends) and if you want to sightsee or soak up European culture, nothing beats that city.

At the end of the day, just have fun. There's no bad choice. It'll be a trip of a lifetime.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Austria & Switzerland. Stay away from the big cities. Spectacular.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

Having a new ride in a bigger city could certainly be a little nerve racking. Parking, traffic, etc. How is getting around Munich vs. Paris? Should I get out of town ASAP is search of small towns and twisty roads or actually take in a few of the "must see" tourist venues? I'm sure there is no wrong decision, but I am curious about all of the previous experiences you all may have.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5inally!!!' date='Jun 20 2005, 04:59 PM
Having a new ride in a bigger city could certainly be a little nerve racking.? Parking, traffic, etc.? How is getting around Munich vs. Paris?? Should I get out of town ASAP is search of small towns and twisty roads or actually take in a few of the "must see" tourist venues?? I'm sure there is no wrong decision, but I am curious about all of the previous experiences you all may have.?

[snapback]141296[/snapback]
IMHO, driving around Paris (and most Italian cities for that matter) is best left to taxicabs and rental cars, although a couple of spins around the Arc d'Triomphe could be a life-changing experience!

I find Munich to be a very manageable city. Much more orderly drivers than France or Italy - or Boston for that matter.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Jun 20 2005, 02:29 PM
[quote name='5inally!!!' date='Jun 20 2005, 04:59 PM']Having a new ride in a bigger city could certainly be a little nerve racking.? Parking, traffic, etc.? How is getting around Munich vs. Paris?? Should I get out of town ASAP is search of small towns and twisty roads or actually take in a few of the "must see" tourist venues?? I'm sure there is no wrong decision, but I am curious about all of the previous experiences you all may have.?

[snapback]141296[/snapback]
IMHO, driving around Paris (and most Italian cities for that matter) is best left to ta xicabs and rental cars, although a couple of spins around the Arc d'Triomphe could be a life-changing experience!

I find Munich to be a very manageable city. Much more orderly drivers than France or Italy - or Boston for that matter.
[snapback]141310[/snapback]
[/quote]

As much as I love Paris, I wouldn't want to drive my brand new car there--especially around the Arc de Triomphe...or most large Italian cities, where mopeds are the way to go... I'd suggest more rural areas, where you can be more relaxed, and stretch the car's legs...
Old 06-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

If you speak french go to Paris!(they don't like to converse in any other language: my experience there as an american) If not, don't go there with the new BMW! It is not the easiest city to navigate. Stick to Germany, Aus. Switz.(almost everyone speaks a little english in these contries) and Italy is ok if you stay out of the big cities.(small cars, and mopeds are best here though) But most of all enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: ED July 1st