Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dunlop Run Flats Replaced by dealer - Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Dunlop Run Flats Replaced by dealer - Singapore-zdsc04359z.jpg
Senior Tech was looking at some problem in DD and when he hoisted the car, he was shocked that all 4 of my Dunlop 245/40/R18 93Y Run Flats are bald on the inside!

It became apparent to them that it will not be safe for me to drive my ride with the tires having the nylon already exposed!!!

It did not occur to me to check the inner thread wear and the nylon-exposed tires are the ones in the rear!! I usually check just the outer threads - and they still have sufficient depth.

Dealer did not suspect any alignment problem and remarked that they have literature from BMW Ag/Asia to replace Dunlop Run Flats that belonged within certain production date, and that premature inner thread wear is probably a fault in the Dunlop Run Flats.

They did not have the spares and indented them from their distribution centre in Johor yesterday and fitted them this afternoon.

Any of you with Dunlop Run Flats have this same problem?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Apr 30 2005, 07:41 AM
Attachment 7140
Senior Tech was looking at some problem in DD and when he hoisted the car, he was shocked that all 4 of my Dunlop 245/40/R18 93Y Run Flats are bald on the inside!?

It became apparent to them that it will not be safe for me to drive my ride with the tires having the nylon already exposed!!!

It did not occur to me to check the inner thread wear and the nylon-exposed tires are the ones in the rear!!? I usually check just the outer threads - and they still have sufficient depth.

Dealer did not suspect any alignment problem and remarked that they have literature from BMW Ag/Asia to replace Dunlop Run Flats that belonged within certain production date, and that premature inner thread wear is probably a fault in the Dunlop Run Flats.

They did not have the spares and indented them from their distribution centre in Johor yesterday and fitted them this afternoon.

Any of you with Dunlop Run Flats have this same problem?
[snapback]122218[/snapback]
You are kidding right? You do read the forum and not the just the Singapore thread. Dunlops.....Premature wear.....Road noise....Getting replaced.... PUMA Case Search and see.

Oh I see, you are addressing just the Singapore owners. sorry.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Olivin530i,

Hope you're well.
I guess that's the cause for the loud noises you've been experiencing with the Dunlops. What build date was you 530i again?

Do you by any chance know what productions dates of the Dunlops might be at fault?

No one appears to have Dunlops replaced by BMW in the UK, as several questions have been asked by fellow UK drivers in this forum and no one has replied. It would be useful to have the BMW literature on this fault. Any chance of getting a copy?

Hope to meet you again later in the year

Anyone on this forum got a "TIS", "puma", "fault" notice from BMW for this? Would be useful for us UK drivers to show our dealer if we have such issues with the Dunlops currently or in the future.

Hormazd,
I've checked the forum and haven't seen a TIS on the Dunlops. Unless I've missed it of course.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 30 2005, 10:49 AM
You are kidding right?? You do read the forum and not the just the Singapore thread.? Dunlops.....Premature wear.....Road noise....Getting replaced.... PUMA Case? Search and see.

Oh I see,? you are addressing just the Singapore owners.? sorry.
[snapback]122256[/snapback]
Hormazd,

there are lots of complaints on tire noise and how they roar after certain mileage and how some folks got theirs replaced with certain capping on milegae, some at 50% and others 100%.

like BMW530, I can't find any TIS; neither can I find "fault" reports.

one thing I found is that you too have Dunlop Run Flats and you are probably building your case to get yours replaced too?
Old 04-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Apr 30 2005, 04:24 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 30 2005, 10:49 AM']
You are kidding right??? You do read the forum and not the just the Singapore thread.?? Dunlops.....Premature wear.....Road noise....Getting replaced.... PUMA Case? Search and see.

Oh I see,? you are addressing just the Singapore owners.? sorry.
[snapback]122256[/snapback]
Hormazd,

there are lots of complaints on tire noise and how they roar after certain mileage and how some folks got theirs replaced with certain capping on milegae, some at 50% and others 100%.

like BMW530, I can't find any TIS; neither can I find "fault" reports.

one thing I found is that you too have Dunlop Run Flats and you are probably building your case to get yours replaced too?
[snapback]122347[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't believe there is a TIS on this issue. It is handled case by case by dealers and BMW. I already have a new set of tires. I approached my dealer at 9,000 miles and they acknowledged the wear as a known issue and got the new tires approved when the BMWNA rep was next at the shop.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

And the dealer also replaced this rim (Style 123) after damaging it while removing the old tires
Dunlop Run Flats Replaced by dealer - Singapore-zdsc04364z.jpg
and this is despite my telling the CSA to be extra careful as I have read somewhere that it is harder to remove run-flats due to their stiffer sidewalls.