Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Does exhaust mod void the CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust
Unhappy

I am about to decide to get an RPI exhaust and wondering if it voids the CPO warranty.

thank you
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

I would like to know this also....
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

no, has been discussed before...

BMW would have to prove your mod caused the "problem"/"damage"
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Contributors

No it doesn't. Warranty will be voided only if the dealer discovers that the source of the problem is from the exhausts.
Rarely to never do bmws have problems because of aftermarket exhaust. The o2 sensors might fail, but it is not from the exhaust. All bmw o2 sensors eventually fail with or without the aftermarket exhaust. they are POS sensors.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

The Remus didn't void my original warranty. Keep in mind that in the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects you from that happening. Unless it can be proved that a failure of a component was due to the modification, warranty cannot be denied. In other words, if your transmission dies, they can't deny you coverage because you put on an RPI exhaust.

EDIT: +1 to Gene and Dbae1978
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

No it does not. I've taken my 545i with quad exhaust and no problems at all.

RPI!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

No, this is my second CPO vehicle that I have put exhaust on and have have a number of different warranty work done on them with no issues. The dealer has to ba able to prove that the exhaust is the reason for the warranty work otherwise its covered.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

I actually just had an issue with my car where it began to sputter while i drove and then i got an engine malfunction message on the idrive. It said that my catalytic conv. was over loaded, i immediately thought it was the RPI exhaust because i know they are connected. Well it turns out that my car had a dirty O2 sensor and a bad spark plug wire. I for sure thought they would blame the exhaust for my problem but to my surprise i even got complimented on it. They offered a cleaning procedure that cleans the fuel filter, o2 sensors, catalytic conv., and fuel lines all at the same time. After picking up my car, WoW it feels smooth crisp and the pick up is better. So with that said, an exhaust will not void the cpo unless like others have said, the exhaust is the main cause of the problem.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=73998&st=15
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Members

Well what if you are leasing the car? Say I get a RPi exhaust, and clamp it. Then when it comes time to turn it in I clamp back on the old one. Would I be in trouble?

Quick Reply: Does exhaust mod void the CPO warranty