Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Does the dealer give you a hard time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with other cars I've bought new and the respective dealers (Lexus/Infiniti), is that they always give me a hard time when I try to schedule a first oil change at 1000 miles. I know enough about engines and oils that it makes me feel better to get the factory fill out early on, I don't need a lecture from service about why it's not needed, blah blah. I also like to change the differential oil within 5000mi, and the dealerships I've had experience with flat out refuse to change it before the scheduled interval, which really frustrates me as I have to seek other places that may not be qualified, especially with a car such as the E60. So can anyone share their experience with similar situations? I guess I would like to know so I have alternative options when the time comes.

I'm a geek, I know
Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARH_0700XX' post='357648' date='Nov 18 2006, 08:19 PM
My experience with other cars I've bought new and the respective dealers (Lexus/Infiniti), is that they always give me a hard time when I try to schedule a first oil change at 1000 miles. I know enough about engines and oils that it makes me feel better to get the factory fill out early on, I don't need a lecture from service about why it's not needed, blah blah. I also like to change the differential oil within 5000mi, and the dealerships I've had experience with flat out refuse to change it before the scheduled interval, which really frustrates me as I have to seek other places that may not be qualified, especially with a car such as the E60. So can anyone share their experience with similar situations? I guess I would like to know so I have alternative options when the time comes.

I'm a geek, I know
FYI: Gearbox and differential oil is lifetime lasting You get what you pay for
Don't look for change them because they will charge you around 1K $ and you'll regret it
Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='357702' date='Nov 18 2006, 03:57 PM
FYI: Gearbox and differential oil is lifetime lasting You get what you pay for
Don't look for change them because they will charge you around 1K $ and you'll regret it
But that's what they want you to believe You'd be surprised what a new diff does to gear oil. The stuff that came out of my G35 at 4800mi was almost black with all the metal particles suspended in it, and the magnetic drain plug was completely covered in BIG metal flakes that I would definitely want to get rid of sooner, rather than later. The problem is I no longer have access to a lift to do the job myself, so I'll have to look to the dealer or somewhere else