Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

does anyone have an Aftermarket Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically what it says. ive heard alot about US fidelis and i think thats what alot of the dealerships use as an extended warranty package. atleast thats what one dealership told me. im wondering if $3000 is worth an 80,000 mile, 5 year protection policy. im also wondering what its exclusions are and if anyone has found them completely useless to purchase. thanks. and im still searching on the topic also.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

I dont know if its useless or not. But i bought it for 2500CND for 50000k or 3 year, cover almost everything major.

Never had a problem with the car, so... Just to be on the safe side

I bought the warrenty when bought the car, the dealer suggest me to do so, i guese its not useless.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chhay24' post='851881' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:23 PM
I dont know if its useless or not. But i bought it for 2500CND for 50000k or 3 year, cover almost everything major.

Never had a problem with the car, so... Just to be on the safe side

I bought the warrenty when bought the car, the dealer suggest me to do so, i guese its not useless.
does anyone else have any input on this subject? im looking for real time opinions. people who have had them and had positive/negative experience, and people who are thinking about getting it or just got it, and people that have used it. whats your experience?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I have Fidelity Warranty Services - http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

I paid about $2400 for it through a guy named Rodney out of BMW Atlanta who used to frequent these forums (haven't seen him around thse parts in over a year now). Apparently they were stopped from selling the warranties online. Glad I got mine though.

To date, the following has been repaired by Fidelity:

Transmission Seal Failure. Total charge - $917. My cost (deductable + goodwill deal on programming - $135)

Vacuum Booster failure, water pump failure, passenger restraint system failure - $2350. My cost - $100. The warranty has paid for itself and is now in my favor.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I have warranties for sale. I deal with two major companies and they both pay for repairs pretty well - I have yet to experience a problem with either of my vendors. The price varies from package to package, obviously, so you have to sort of know what you want your warranty to cover. For example, some companies' policies - not those that I carry though - exclude gaskets, while others want you to have your car fixed only in the shops that THEY approve - hardly a good thing, when you're driving a BMW. Point is, you really have to get into the research and know what you're doing with these things, as there are a lot of ways it could go wrong for the customer, but the company almost always makes money over time (well, otherwise, they'd not be able to be in business, but there are players in this market, who abuse this rule of "insurance-type" business). At the very least, try to find out about the re-insurer and read reviews online. While online reviews are not the most reliable source of information - more often than not, they are posted either by those who are interested in making a certain company look better (or worse, for that matter). However, they can provide you with some idea of what's up with a particular company you're about to give a good chunk of change to. Ultimately, your most important source of information is the re-insurer and the reputations of it and the actual warranty company. Next most important thing is to review the service contract in detail and see what kind of fine print is there - there ALWAYS is fine print.

GL with the purchase and I really hope that people pick this issue up, as it is not discussed enough on here IMO - honestly, even though I deal with these things, I don't even know nearly enough, so we need to start getting things out in the open. And if you want to do some cross-shopping, PM me - I'll likely be able to give you a better price than most dealers, as I - for the time being, sort of - cut out the middle man the way I do it. But I really didn't respond to sell my stuff here - just bc I wanted to give you an unbiased opnion (refer to my 1st paragraph )...

V.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='852535' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:06 AM
I have warranties for sale. I deal with two major companies and they both pay for repairs pretty well - I have yet to experience a problem with either of my vendors. The price varies from package to package, obviously, so you have to sort of know what you want your warranty to cover. For example, some companies' policies - not those that I carry though - exclude gaskets, while others want you to have your car fixed only in the shops that THEY approve - hardly a good thing, when you're driving a BMW. Point is, you really have to get into the research and know what you're doing with these things, as there are a lot of ways it could go wrong for the customer, but the company almost always makes money over time (well, otherwise, they'd not be able to be in business, but there are players in this market, who abuse this rule of "insurance-type" business). At the very least, try to find out about the re-insurer and read reviews online. While online reviews are not the most reliable source of information - more often than not, they are posted either by those who are interested in making a certain company look better (or worse, for that matter). However, they can provide you with some idea of what's up with a particular company you're about to give a good chunk of change to. Ultimately, your most important source of information is the re-insurer and the reputations of it and the actual warranty company. Next most important thing is to review the service contract in detail and see what kind of fine print is there - there ALWAYS is fine print.

GL with the purchase and I really hope that people pick this issue up, as it is not discussed enough on here IMO - honestly, even though I deal with these things, I don't even know nearly enough, so we need to start getting things out in the open. And if you want to do some cross-shopping, PM me - I'll likely be able to give you a better price than most dealers, as I - for the time being, sort of - cut out the middle man the way I do it. But I really didn't respond to sell my stuff here - just bc I wanted to give you an unbiased opnion (refer to my 1st paragraph )...

V.
cool. good info. i like the way you said you sell them. it shows your not pitching because you didnt even mention the names of the companies. im glad your interested in actually helping as there are alot of people that would see a chance to make money and go for it. im in the market. and this is part of my research. i just heard about fidelity warranty services. im going to give them a call and check out their info. thanks. everyone chime in. i want to know what you know. thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Members

i was just quoted $5,000 for a extended warranty from the BMW dealership and by a company named Zurich! it is a 3 year, 36k mile warranty covering most everything including seals and such. its a good deal for someone who has the money to throw away, but i was quoted 80k 5 year comprehensive warranty from US Fidelis for about 3,000. now i know there is tons of crap about US F. but if i could find a like company with a good rep, it would be a good deal.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i 6M

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851874' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:19 PM
basically what it says. ive heard alot about US fidelis and i think thats what alot of the dealerships use as an extended warranty package. atleast thats what one dealership told me. im wondering if $3000 is worth an 80,000 mile, 5 year protection policy. im also wondering what its exclusions are and if anyone has found them completely useless to purchase. thanks. and im still searching on the topic also.
I would stay clear. My used car dealer offered me an aftermarket warranty for 3 yrs unlimited km for $2300 for my used 530, but their stipulations to maintain this coverage were outrageous. They said I would have to change my oil every 3000 miles !!! (5000km). I don't trust them. I've heard only negative feedback about aftermarket warranties. They try to weasel out of paying every chance they get.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by lockdownx99' post='851874' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:19 PM
I purchased an aftermarket warranty for my car with $100 deductable. The Warranty is through Fidelity as well. I've had my car repaired a few times and I think it's worth it. Already paid for itself.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='852190' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:33 PM
I have Fidelity Warranty Services - http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

I paid about $2400 for it through a guy named Rodney out of BMW Atlanta who used to frequent these forums (haven't seen him around thse parts in over a year now). Apparently they were stopped from selling the warranties online. Glad I got mine though.

To date, the following has been repaired by Fidelity:

Transmission Seal Failure. Total charge - $917. My cost (deductable + goodwill deal on programming - $135)

Vacuum Booster failure, water pump failure, passenger restraint system failure - $2350. My cost - $100. The warranty has paid for itself and is now in my favor.

I have the same comp, good to know they come in handy

Quick Reply: does anyone have an Aftermarket Warranty?