Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.
View Poll Results: How do you rate your after sales service and repair
Excellent
40.85%
average
28.17%
sub-standard
16.90%
outrageously poor for a quality product
14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Do BMW deserve to Keep us with their service record

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the dealer - I bought my car from Rydale BMW and they were completely rubbish (although at the end their service manager intervened and at least tryed to get things right). I also think that they managed to get a screw in one of my tyres (arghh)

In the past though I have used Sytner for several years and have always been impressed by their professionalism and high standards.

In fact this sort of aftercare - and the long service intervals - are a major factor in my sticking with BMW's for the last 10 years.

The little touches matter:

....like not having to queue up at a service desk

....when they leave you a little tin of sweets in the glovebox (bit cheesy - but I like it)

....giving your car a really good clean inside and out every time it goes in.

....when they greet you by name and call you during the day to tell you how it's going.

....when they call you up a few days after the service to ask if there was anything that they could do better.

....when they always try to get you a courtesy car - or service while you wait in their business lounge.

Try going to a vauxhall or ford dealer and you'll see the difference

Oh ... and I also had a simply stunning experience with Scotthall in hampshire when my car broke down - they were heros.

So - in general - I would say BMW offer premium customer service - and if you aren't getting this - try another dealer.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='293727' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:53 AM
Depends on the dealer - I bought my car from Rydale BMW and they were completely rubbish (although at the end their service manager intervened and at least tryed to get things right). I also think that they managed to get a screw in one of my tyres (arghh)

In the past though I have used Sytner for several years and have always been impressed by their professionalism and high standards.

In fact this sort of aftercare - and the long service intervals - are a major factor in my sticking with BMW's for the last 10 years.

....when they leave you a little tin of sweets in the glovebox (bit cheesy - but I like it)

....when they greet you by name and call you during the day to tell you how it's going.

....when they call you up a few days after the service to ask if there was anything that they could do better.

....when they always try to get you a courtesy car - or service while you wait in their business lounge.

Oh ... and I also had a simply stunning experience with Scotthall in hampshire when my car broke down - they were heros.

So - in general - I would say BMW offer premium customer service - and if you aren't getting this - try another dealer.

Hate to say it but it was Sytners who keep breaking my car and my bosses car too!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='293802' date='Jun 7 2006, 12:29 PM
Hate to say it but it was Sytners who keep breaking my car and my bosses car too!
Which one - they are a BIG group?

If I were you I'd try to find one person at the dealership who talked sense - someone who climbed down from his corporate bullshitting long enough to understand that they have not only seriously screwed up your car twice, but also put you in real danger on one of those occasions.

I'd want them to be seriously apologising and I'd want to hear them talking about compensation as well as internal reviews of their quality systems to try to identify how things went so badly wrong.

If you can't find anyone at the dealership who understands about ownership of problems and customer service - then I would simply log a formal complaint with the MD of Sytner - playing strongly on the personal safety implications of the faulty brake works - then go and find another dealer.

If they don't react in the way described about then they are idiots and I would not want an idiot servicing my car.

I also predict that you will get a response from their MD - cause as a company my experience is that they do care about their customers. Unfortunately - every company carries dead weight and the guy in charge of your dealership might just fit that bill.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Members

My local dealers are very efficient & polite. My only complaint is that I go there far too often, 6 times in last year for different faults!!. They know my name when I walk in, this is not a good thing. My wife has a SAAB & they have the best dealer, one you never have to see...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='290466' date='May 31 2006, 01:39 PM
Poor service / dealer care seems to be a common topic at present so lets have a poll to see quite how bad it is present.
My service has been excellent. It has been close to perfect except for the installation of a B&B exhaust--which is not an OEM item anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='293843' date='Jun 7 2006, 02:20 PM
Which one - they are a BIG group?

If I were you I'd try to find one person at the dealership who talked sense - someone who climbed down from his corporate bullshitting long enough to understand that they have not only seriously screwed up your car twice, but also put you in real danger on one of those occasions.

I'd want them to be seriously apologising and I'd want to hear them talking about compensation as well as internal reviews of their quality systems to try to identify how things went so badly wrong.

If you can't find anyone at the dealership who understands about ownership of problems and customer service - then I would simply log a formal complaint with the MD of Sytner - playing strongly on the personal safety implications of the faulty brake works - then go and find another dealer.

If they don't react in the way described about then they are idiots and I would not want an idiot servicing my car.

I also predict that you will get a response from their MD - cause as a company my experience is that they do care about their customers. Unfortunately - every company carries dead weight and the guy in charge of your dealership might just fit that bill.

True but why should we have to go through the pain of complaining and trying different dealers when we have paid for a premium product! BMW should have quality assurance processes in place to offer a craddle to grave quality service if they are to maintain their brand image. The excellent score should be 95% plus not less than 40%. And yes I have tried another garage but this was taken over by Sytners too with a noticeable fall in quality there too. Alledgedly they have dismissed all their technicians and re-engaged those willing on a contract basis leading to them being demotivated - No work, no pay (this is only rumour).

I have had BMW's and Audi's previously and Audi completely outshine BMW with their customer service (shame about the product). All four Audi dealers I have used would have scored highly.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='293894' date='Jun 7 2006, 04:47 PM
True but why should we have to go through the pain of complaining and trying different dealers when we have paid for a premium product! BMW should have quality assurance processes in place to offer a craddle to grave quality service if they are to maintain their brand image. The excellent score should be 95% plus not less than 40%. And yes I have tried another garage but this was taken over by Sytners too with a noticeable fall in quality there too. Alledgedly they have dismissed all their technicians and re-engaged those willing on a contract basis leading to them being demotivated - No work, no pay (this is only rumour).

I have had BMW's and Audi's previously and Audi completely outshine BMW with their customer service (shame about the product). All four Audi dealers I have used would have scored highly.
Well the problem is that the dealers are NOT bmw - they are just franchisees. Compared to many brands I think that BMW manage their franchisees well.

As to having to complain - well that's just life. No matter what situation you are in you will encounter a cross section of people - some are good at their jobs - and some bad. The better companies weed out the bad and hang onto the good - but even in the best company there are employees who really can't cut it.

You can't buy your way out of this by getting a premium brand.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='293727' date='Jun 7 2006, 01:53 AM

Trouble is not all dealers treat you like this. Manufacturers absolutely need to wake up to the damage that sh!tty dealers to their business and reputations. When you see posts on here about owners who have called BMWNA about crappy service and all they get in return is the "we are sorry about your experience, but dealers are independently owned and operated" it's pretty poor. From the customer's standpoint, the dealer *is* pretty much the public face of the manufacturer, irrespective of ownership. The other side of the coin is that when you get good service, make sure you're equally happy to call and praise.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by swajames' post='293901' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:22 AM
double post..... apologies
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='293898' date='Jun 7 2006, 05:01 PM
Well the problem is that the dealers are NOT bmw - they are just franchisees. Compared to many brands I think that BMW manage their franchisees well.

As to having to complain - well that's just life. No matter what situation you are in you will encounter a cross section of people - some are good at their jobs - and some bad. The better companies weed out the bad and hang onto the good - but even in the best company there are employees who really can't cut it.

You can't buy your way out of this by getting a premium brand.
I totally disagree with your statement that BMW manage their franchisees well and the votes appear to back this up.

We risk getting in to a debate on the merits and pitfalls of capitalism here but why do Lexus and lesser brands (plus Volvo from previous post) then have extremely high satisfaction ratings? Because they have set standards for their dealers.There is also a contradiction here too in what you say as Sytners are the biggest whilst being the worst performing. Perhaps MB was right to sack the majority of dealers in the UK

Quick Reply: Do BMW deserve to Keep us with their service record