Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer missed CPO checks - need advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bone stock silver gray 07 530i

Looking to get some advise from a few folks...

Here's the scenario.
I recently purchased a CPO'd 07 530i from a dealer.

Got a power steering alert warning two days afer purchase.
Brought the car back to the dealership to have issue looked.
The cause was because the fluid "according to the dealer" was below minimum.
This means that they missed/ or did not do this check during CPO certification.

Ever since, I've been uneasy as to what else might have been missed.
I reviewed the CPO inspection form myself and found a few items worth questioning.
1. Starting odometer reading and stopping odometer reading entered during the drive test for the CPO is 5 miles which is the minimum recommended test distance.
This sort of raised a flag to me because it is too exact. Why not 8 or 15 or 22...
2. CPO entry for mileage before Oil service is listed as 870 miles.
Reading on iDrive had been reset to 15000 miles.
Service history does not show recent OIL service.
NOTE: Dealer said that they have records that OIL service was done but it wasn't entered in the service history.
I'd like to take their word for this but it seems kind of odd that it wasn't on service history.
My concern is that although it was done(?), it would seem like an OIL service was missed cause there would be a gap on service history.

3. CPO inspection list showed that rear tire thread as 2mm. This tire should have been changed per CPO guidelines since it is less than 3mm.
Tire doesn't look new but looks like it has more thread than 2mm.
Inquired with my SA and it took a few days to confirm to me that they did replace the tire.

4. Rims have curb rashes.
CPO guidelines says that the wheels should have been refinished.
My Sales advisor says he'll setup an appointment to have them refinished.

I know these are things that I should have brought up before buying and if they were things that should have been completed during the CPO certification process I would have been ok with them.

When I was at the dealership yesterday, my SA sensed that I'm not too satisifed due to these issues.
I honestly say that I like the car so far but did admit that I'm uneasy that they might have sold me a CPO car that wasn't fully CPO'd.
To my surprise, he brought up an option to return the car.
I did a trade in and would still need to get another vehicle if I return this one. However, I'm thinking they should replace it with a comparable car (maybe a lil better one) off their lot.

What do you guys think?
Are they in trouble with BMWNA or legally because of this missed items.

Please advise... what would you do?
I'm thinking at just taking him up on the offer to return and listen to options...
What options do you think would be offered to me?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSE.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

I find it surprising that they offered you a return for the vehicle. Sounds fishy. I would take a return and definitely upgrade in some way/get a car with fewer miles: on their tab. For the premium that is paid for a CPO'd vehicle, there is no reason why they dealer should need to do any sort of reconditioning or mechanical maintenance to the vehicle so soon.

Bert Smith BMW in St. Petersburg, Florida ALWAYS has cars at my paint guys shop for body work and paint. Funny thing is, these cars all become vehicles sold as CPO'd vehicles.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mbp727' post='1085535' date='Jan 6 2010, 03:43 PM
I find it surprising that they offered you a return for the vehicle. Sounds fishy. I would take a return and definitely upgrade in some way/get a car with fewer miles: on their tab. For the premium that is paid for a CPO'd vehicle, there is no reason why they dealer should need to do any sort of reconditioning or mechanical maintenance to the vehicle so soon.

Bert Smith BMW in St. Petersburg, Florida ALWAYS has cars at my paint guys shop for body work and paint. Funny thing is, these cars all become vehicles sold as CPO'd vehicles.
Thanks for your reply.

To clarify the SA said that if I want to return the car, the would talk to his managers about.
But the fact that he brough it up, makes me think that it is a real option.
I'm sensing that they have concerns either legally or with BMW USA.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jp1969' post='1085540' date='Jan 6 2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your reply.

To clarify the SA said that if I want to return the car, the would talk to his managers about.
But the fact that he brough it up, makes me think that it is a real option.
I'm sensing that they have concerns either legally or with BMW USA.

They arent in trouble legally if they take care of the issues. My CPO process missed a dying battery, noisy steering column and squeaky door seals. They fixed two of those three things

id return the car asap and get something else from them and have it inspected by another shop
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Return the car and run away! There got to be something very wrong with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

+1 for getting the vehicle inspected elsewhere if you get a replacement from them. Maybe even another bmw 'service center'.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles, man.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Mine was delivered to me with two bent rims. Didn't find out until two days after delivery when I took it to discount tire. They replaced one rim and fixed the other. I truly believe that the dealers do NOT go over each and every CPO item on the checklist, as BMW NA insists they do. I asked to see mine, and it showed they checked the rims for any bends. Yeah, sure. Good luck with your situation.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Members

My main issue is that a car sold as a CPO should have gone through the full inspection.
The car has been running fine - I've driven it some... However, I don't get that "asssurance of quality" feeling that should come with the CPO premum..

THANKS AGAIN...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jp1969' post='1085696' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:01 PM
My main issue is that a car sold as a CPO should have gone through the full inspection.
The car has been running fine - I've driven it some... However, I don't get that "asssurance of quality" feeling that should come with the CPO premum..

THANKS AGAIN...

welcome to the recession

tell barack im baroke
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Members

have them re-do the entire CPO inspection. I just had this done 2 weeks ago for the exact same issue.

They ended up finding that there was a fluid leak in the active suspension that caused the low fluid condition (the second time around).

Quick Reply: Dealer missed CPO checks - need advise please.