Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer charge for activating DRL's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called a dealer about getting my DRL's activated and they told me it would take a half an hour of work (+/-$70.00). I'm reading that some of you had the option upon delivery of the car. I wasn't offered that option. I remember asking and I was told they don't come with daytime running lights.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

I don't know about US spec cars, but I can set DRL's in 10seconds using the i-drive vehicle settings menu.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Members

Yeah, US specs don't give us that option. For what reason, I have no clue.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mikej' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:12 PM
I called a dealer about getting my DRL's activated and they told me it would take a half an hour of work (+/-$70.00).? I'm reading that some of you had the option upon delivery of the car.? I wasn't offered that option.? I remember asking and I was told they don't come with daytime running lights.
[snapback]177801[/snapback]
Ya they should give you the option ONCE... after that if you decide to change it they can charge you for it.

I've had it changed once before from on to off it takes them no more than 10 mins. I stook there and waited for it!! So $70!!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

Yeah as always BMWNA does not let us adjust our cars through iDrive like in other countries as well as order the car specifically like we would like too. Bummer
Old 10-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

They asked my if I wanted them on or off. I signed a sheet with specs I wanted about a month prior to delivery. (DRL, Key settings, etc). Upon delivery I noticed the DRL were turned on! Once I got back home, (PCD) I took my car in and they turned them off free of charge.
Talk to the service manager and express your concern that you were not given the initial choice, they should accomodate you!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hey mikej. I got my DRLs programmed by Stevens Creek BMW and they did charge me $70. Originally the Service receptionist quoted me $150! Anyway, it took them over an hour...probably because they were working on other cars.

As a side note, I also tried putting Silverstars in the DRLs to get a whiter beam but it didn't work. It seems that the DRL power output is lower than the other light sources so the Silverstars still burned yellow.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Vitacura' date='Oct 1 2005, 01:35 PM
They asked my if I wanted them on or off. I signed a sheet with specs I wanted about a month prior to delivery. (DRL, Key settings, etc). Upon delivery I noticed the DRL were turned on! Once I got back home, (PCD) I took my car in and they turned them off free of charge.
Talk to the service manager and express your concern that you were not given the initial choice, they should accomodate you!
[snapback]177826[/snapback]

Thanks. I'll try that. I might add an aux port and see if they can just do the drl's at the same time.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 04:58 PM
Hey mikej.? I got my DRLs programmed by Stevens Creek BMW and they did charge me $70.? Originally the Service receptionist quoted me $150!? Anyway, it took them over an hour...probably because they were working on other cars.?

As a side note, I also tried putting Silverstars in the DRLs to get a whiter beam but it didn't work.? It seems that the DRL power output is lower than the other light sources so the Silverstars still burned yellow.
[snapback]177835[/snapback]

This is CRAZY! When I picked up my car I noticed the DRL's weren't set. I said to the salesman "I want DRL's. Do I set them myself?" He said no, drove back into the service area, and a couple of minutes later--voila. If you have to pay, be sure to mention that when you get the followup call from BMWNA. Someone is ripping you off.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 01:58 PM
Hey mikej.? I got my DRLs programmed by Stevens Creek BMW and they did charge me $70.? Originally the Service receptionist quoted me $150!? Anyway, it took them over an hour...probably because they were working on other cars.?

As a side note, I also tried putting Silverstars in the DRLs to get a whiter beam but it didn't work.? It seems that the DRL power output is lower than the other light sources so the Silverstars still burned yellow.
[snapback]177835[/snapback]
Thanks, for the info. I might go back to where i bought the car and see if they can do it (BMW of SF). I noticed you put PIAA 4150K fogs. I'm sure they look better with the xenons. The stock foglight bulbs look kinda yellow. Are they difficult at all to change?

Quick Reply: Dealer charge for activating DRL's?