Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

damage to bumper while on ED

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

While on tour in Paris during ED, we had a bumper scrape on a very high curb on the bumper corner. Everything I had heard was that the insurance coverage and the process for handling those events was to have the repair done while the car is handled at the VPC before it even leaves for the dealer.

I heard from my CA today that my car left the VPC without any repair work being done, and now it's up to alternative repair shops to handle it. He suggested doing the work at his dealership.

The other dilema I have is that the dealer I ordered the car from is 7 hours drive from my house, and if they do the repair work there, any follow-up or warranty work down the road will mean 7 hours back to deal with it!!!!

Has anyone heard of this happening this way, and how have you dealt with it? I'm looking into taking the car without the repair and going to a local dealer to manage the repair.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I have no experience with ED but common sense makes me ask why they would repair any damage that wasn't caused by BMW or it's contracted carriers?

If you damaged the car, they probably made note of it when you turned it over for transport. Why would they be obligated to fix it?

If you completely smashed it up, would you expect them to fix it at the VPC?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

They are obligated to fix it. That is one of the clear components of the total ED arrangement. There is an insurance company that was paid a policy for exactly this coverage, and it is customarily reparied at VPC. In fact that coverage is 100% of the cost of any damage.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

As I said, I'm not familiar with the setup of ED so if that's how it works, that's pretty cool. That would also mean that you have a valid claim against whatever insurance company they use so just be sure to document the damage before taking delivery and you should be able to get everything fixed at no charge to you I imagine.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:31 AM

I did a ED in 2001. Leaving the pick up area I hit a curb and lightly damaged two wheels and made a nasty bump on a tyre(probably an inside cut). When I left the 325IT in Munich I made a note in the doccument where they put mileage and car conditions. They changed both wheels and tyres at the VPC before the car got to my dealer.

Your car is fully insure during the ED and BMW claim they will fix any damage done to the car while in DE before final delivery to the customer. I doubt they did not fix the damage. Either they did and the dealer does not know about it or the VPC did not see it. The VPC is like a mini factory, they can fix almost anything wrong, including body and paint work.

Angel
Old 07-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

I would have also thought that they would have fixed the thing. But my dealer said they had not. Maybe he is mistaken and it has actually been repaired! But it has only been at VPC for 1 week, which seems awfully short with all the other things they do there.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I thought the normal time at the VPC was a couple days. If so, a week sounds like enough time to repair the bumper.

Keep your fingers crossed!