Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Cracked Front Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530Dse

Hi there...

I did a search and found this post.

I have some more questions if someone can answer them...

This morning I noticed a crack in the middle of the passenger side front windscreen it goes from under the plastic trim stretches some nine inches or so I couldn't see any signs of a stone chip so thought it was a stress fracture. I go along to me local BMW dealer and ask them to have a look and see if it can be replaced under warranty. The guy takes the car into the shop and has a look at it and says yes it's a crack and he can't see any stone chip marks but because the car has done 17k miles they will not replace it under warranty as stress fractures appear within the first 100miles of a new car and seeing as my car is a 2004 that has done 17k miles he will not replace the screen :thumbsdown: ...

Now where do I stand with the dealer I see that people HAVE had there glass replaced under warranty but I don't know how many people have had it replaced with higher miles. Should I be expecting my dealer to replace the glass or should I just pay the ?50 excess on my insurance and get it replaced by Auto Glass... I've only had the car 3 weeks as well..

to the dealer!!

any help would be most welcome
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 AM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

I purchased extra warranty protection covering the windshield (had to pay an extra $175 I think) in case this happened at anytime during the standard warranty period.

It doesn't sound like BMW will do this for you for free.

At least in the US, most auto insurance companies will cover the costs for winshield replacement--all you have to do is pay the deductible.

I would suggest seeing if your auto insurance will pick up the tab for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributors

I've already looked into that and my insurance will pick up the tab and will cost me ?50 and no insurance claim losses...

But thats not the point if BMW should replace it under warranty I don't want to be fobbed off. I took the car to Auto Glass as I know someone in there and he said it was a stress fracture and it should be under warranty.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dead and Gone' post='199644' date='Nov 17 2005, 08:34 PM
I've already looked into that and my insurance will pick up the tab and will cost me ?50 and no insurance claim losses...

But thats not the point if BMW should replace it under warranty I don't want to be fobbed off. I took the car to Auto Glass as I know someone in there and he said it was a stress fracture and it should be under warranty.
I guess if you can get an 'official' report from AutoGlass it would work rather well as 'ammo' to the dealer... If the dealer fails then contact BMW direct with your 'evidence'. If it's true and you've got 'independent' opinion then I think you're on a winner...
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Try another dealer, but be prepared with whatever info you can dredge up to support your case.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

it maybe true that most cracks occur in the first x mile/months. what is the distribution of those that dont occur in the period. with your driving method it could take 1 month, year never to apply the stress to cause the crack. thats why we stress aircraft for a long period of time looking for cracks. its kind of like software you cannot test for every possibe occurance, otherwise you would never finish testing. if htere no evidencre of a rock hit then its stress period.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributors

OK so if it is a Stress fracture then it should be replaced under warranty?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by Dead and Gone' post='199634' date='Nov 17 2005, 03:09 PM
Hi there...

I did a search and found this post.

I have some more questions if someone can answer them...

This morning I noticed a crack in the middle of the passenger side front windscreen it goes from under the plastic trim stretches some nine inches or so I couldn't see any signs of a stone chip so thought it was a stress fracture. I go along to me local BMW dealer and ask them to have a look and see if it can be replaced under warranty. The guy takes the car into the shop and has a look at it and says yes it's a crack and he can't see any stone chip marks but because the car has done 17k miles they will not replace it under warranty as stress fractures appear within the first 100miles of a new car and seeing as my car is a 2004 that has done 17k miles he will not replace the screen :thumbsdown: ...

Now where do I stand with the dealer I see that people HAVE had there glass replaced under warranty but I don't know how many people have had it replaced with higher miles. Should I be expecting my dealer to replace the glass or should I just pay the ?50 excess on my insurance and get it replaced by Auto Glass... I've only had the car 3 weeks as well..

to the dealer!!

any help would be most welcome
Same exact thing happened to my car. Fortunately, insurance in the states covers the deductible.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by Dead and Gone' post='199644' date='Nov 17 2005, 03:34 PM
... I don't want to be fobbed off.
Of the many things I love about this forum, it is the international presence of its members. I always learn something new or learn a new phrase from another culture. Chalk this one up to one of my favorites. I'm not sure what the exact translation is but I think I get it.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Orient Blue, Auburn Int. Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 , Nav... European Delivery 3/21/05 Redelivery 6/1/05.

Just this minute returned from the dealer after having my windshield replaced. Unfortunately a truck kicked up a pretty good size rock and SMACK right in the middle of the windshield. Sounded like the car had been hit by a bullet. Crack did not start to appear for about 5 minutes then it grew and spidered from the crater. Insurance said take it to your dealer and have them do the job and be sure you get OEM glass! I pay the deductible and they cover the rest. The SA took the time when I picked it up to describe how the seal was installed and gave me some tips about leaving the windows open while closing the doors to prevent backpressure from disturbing the new windshield seal. Also showed me some tricks with the key fob to roll up and roll down the windows. Had no idea I could do that with the key! Great service and very happy with the job and the insurance company ... but pretty pissed off with trucks and other large vehicles that sometimes wander onto the near shoulder of the road and start kicking up rocks!

Quick Reply: Cracked Front Windscreen