Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

CPO Process

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Planning on getting a 07 E60 on CPO. Anyone have experience how the process works? Do I go to dealer and specify the model, color and they search for you or do I look for one in inventory? How is price negotiated or is it virtually fixed? I would like to get one with balance of factory warranty and additionally purchase the maintenance contract to 100K.

Any idea is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nell' post='1073445' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:32 PM
Planning on getting a 07 E60 on CPO. Anyone have experience how the process works? Do I go to dealer and specify the model, color and they search for you or do I look for one in inventory? How is price negotiated or is it virtually fixed? I would like to get one with balance of factory warranty and additionally purchase the maintenance contract to 100K.

Any idea is appreciated.
Hi, I purchased mine 07 CPO. Purchasing one is just like getting a new car, the price is never fixed and is always negotiable. Usually a dealer will have an inventory list of what they have to choose from. The extended 100k warranty is included which is nice but I'm not sure of the maintenance contract is worth it as it costs $2300 to $2800 depending on how you negotiate. My philosophy is if the dealer offers it, it's not a good deal. Mine was prices at $32 and and I walked out at $27.8k. With the touch economy, these dealers will just sit on these cars and they can afford to lower the price.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

I would point out that the CPO warranty has a calendar limit as well as a milage limit. I believe it is 100K miles or 6 years from the original owner's purchase date. In my case I bought an 04 car in 2007 with 21K miles. I now only have 50K miles but my warranty will expire in 03/10 due to the original sale date of the car back in 03/04 ( 6 years ). So my 100K mile warranty is going to expire before I hit 60K miles.

That being said, my CPO warranty still has saved me money on many repairs and I would not buy a newer BMW without it.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

correct on date limit and double correct on noy buying newer bmw without warrantee. i have had over 8k fixed on my car easily and only put like 3k on it, but half that was because they choose to fix one problem twice the long expensive way.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

correct on date limit and double correct on noy buying newer bmw without warrantee. i have had over 8k fixed on my car easily and only put like 3k on it, but half that was because they (dealersjip) choose to fix one problem twice the long expensive way.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60firstbmw' post='1073451' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:42 PM
Hi, I purchased mine 07 CPO. Purchasing one is just like getting a new car, the price is never fixed and is always negotiable. Usually a dealer will have an inventory list of what they have to choose from. The extended 100k warranty is included which is nice but I'm not sure of the maintenance contract is worth it as it costs $2300 to $2800 depending on how you negotiate. My philosophy is if the dealer offers it, it's not a good deal. Mine was prices at $32 and and I walked out at $27.8k. With the touch economy, these dealers will just sit on these cars and they can afford to lower the price.
WOW! $5k? The car I bought sat in the dealer showroom next to a 550i/545i for 5 months. The dealer brought the price down by $1k and that was because I found a dent on the rear bumper. I will rent you the next time we go car shopping.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I bought my car CPO on a lease return in 06/07 - I got a good deal considering it was a 2 year old car with 16K miles and I paid a whopping $29K for it. THe previous owner was nice enough (or stupid enough) to have paid for the extended maintenance for me. So I have a car that has full CPO warranty and maint warranty until 04/11 - perfect. Definitely negotiate the price. You will not be able to negotiate color/options with a specific dealer, you will have to just shop around - I looked for 3 months before buying (too bad wasn't yet a member here ). When I found the car I wanted with the options/color I wante I went and negotiated them down from $35K and drove off.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Dealerships do not swap CPO or used cars so you are limited to what we have in stock. However, we have a pretty good idea of what we are getting back off lease if that helps. If you check our website you can get a fairly close approximation of what we are selling our inventory at.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Members

My 2 cents.......Don't let the CPO label give you a false sense of security. It's still a used car being sold by a car dealer trying to make a buck. Carefully inspect for paint work and cosmetics that might not be covered under CPO warrantee or missed in the certification process. When I was shopping I saw CPO'd cars that had fenders, hoods and bumpers replaced and those were only ones that showed in Carfax. Vast majority are great cars, just be careful
Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

My first advice is to mount an extensive internet search for dealers in your area. Most dealers will negotiate prices and you really should negotiate. Some dealers, however, have a one price policy and do not negotiate, but theyr prices are generally lower than other dealers in the area. In that case, you will try to negotiate other things, such as a higher return on your trade-in, or ask for freebies such as a lo-jack or invisible bra and you also negotiate extended maintenance and anything you can think of. It is worth, in my opinion, to shell out the extra grand or so for a CPO. G/L and have fun with your search.

Quick Reply: CPO Process