Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Considering a 530d Auto????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red-max' post='226014
I've got a 2004 530d sport auto and I've just picked mine up from a re-code, I am astounded at the difference its made to the gear changes, its like a different car much smoother.
That's interesting. Any idea which version of software you went from and to? Was it a full CIP upgrade, or just the auto box - I'm not sure if they are bundled together or can be done seperately.
[/quote]

It was a full CIP to the latest version (V20 I think) as I had the issue where you take the key out and the stereo keeps going as well.

I didn't have perspective NAV before so its was pre V16 but I can't tell you exactly what version it was.

I've got Nav Pro so I thought I'd check to see if MP3 works but it doesn't Ho hum.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Members

I have had two e60s the first was a 525dse, this went on fire out side my home after it have been left for two hours, bmw did not want to know,the car was written off ! The glass was blown out of the car neither myself or my wife smoke, and the forensics found three fuses to the driver seat blow ( SOURCE OF FIRE). My second is a 530d Sport, I got it a bit cheaper from the dealer after the 1st cars problem.

I have had many problems, many upgrades, and I had and still put up with the exact problem, I pull out of a junction die on my a**, until I get the wharp factor 10 kick up the rear.

I have listed just some of the problems

1. slow i drive, no idrive.

2. steering angle ?

3. No Radio

4. No Bluetooth

5.PDC phantom

6. 30mpg on a diesel

7.faultly drivers window

Thats before you know the problems with the retro fitted pro nav.

The only thing is my dealer is a superstar, or else I would be driving a Toyota sorry I mean Lexus.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Lymin6
Sorry to hear your problems, I just left M-B to move over to BMW after a fantastic time wiith my wifes Mini (such a fun fun car)
The M-B E-Class I formerly had was a similar disaster, except half the issues were down to poor dealership work.
Im glad to say so far my 530d has had just the tiny issues I listed previously.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I had exactly the same experience Oscar. I traded in the best car in the world an E39 and bought the E60. They call what your describing Transmission Slam and my last E60 bought last May had this issue from the moment I picked the car up from the dealer. As a matter of fact I called the dealer on the way home to tell him about it and their reaction was that as they has changed the transmission to cope with EU4 Emmission levels and it would not perform the same as my previous car. They said it needed a SW Upgrade. They gave the car two software upgrades and the problem persisted.

BMW then drove my car and told me it was inside specification, however the car was downright dangerous, especially on roundabouts, overtaking and taking left turns.

After 7 months of fighting and writting letters to BMW they finally "Offered me a deal to change into a new E60". I picked the new car up two weeks ago and I have to say it is a dream to drive and does not share the characteristics of the previous car at all.

Get the software upgrade first and if that does not work, loose the car as it is probably a lemon like my last car!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

I think the amount of posts here that are opposite proves that my car is faulty and it is a common fault.
I calculate my fuel consumption based on fuel added and miles covered since I last filled up. As an engineer working in the automotive industry I know that these problems can be fixed, I have a friend who develops the calibration of software in the same ZF transmission at Jaguar and they do not have the slam, they also developed a different strategy for the EUIV so the exhaust doesn't sound like it's bust - the reason they did it differently was because they knew that it would really annoy customers.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='226301' date='Jan 19 2006, 08:29 AM
I think the amount of posts here that are opposite proves that my car is faulty and it is a common fault.
I calculate my fuel consumption based on fuel added and miles covered since I last filled up. As an engineer working in the automotive industry I know that these problems can be fixed, I have a friend who develops the calibration of software in the same ZF transmission at Jaguar and they do not have the slam, they also developed a different strategy for the EUIV so the exhaust doesn't sound like it's bust - the reason they did it differently was because they knew that it would really annoy customers.
From what I understand my 'pre-filter' car doesn't do this annoying rev-thing?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

That's right it was only introduced post 04 to meet EU IV emissions.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='226355' date='Jan 19 2006, 12:11 PM
That's right it was only introduced post 04 to meet EU IV emissions.
Indeed, that's why I've got the downturned exhaust...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Oscar,
Also try and see if the same thing happens when in DS mode.
It's possible that what you are experiencing is turbo lag. In DS mode , the revs are remin higher when you take your foot off the gas so that when you re-apply the gas the turbo is already spinning.

By the way, when I had the problem there was EU4 software in my EU3 (downturned pipes) car. When they changed to EU3 the problem went away. When I say problem, when I slowed to an almost stop, the car would not go into first making it very dangerous to try and take a gap in the traffic.

Streak
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225999
Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225909' date='Jan 18 2006, 02:48 PM
I had a 530d auto touring for 3 days whilst they last reflashed the ECU's which was no different and I've been in contact with several other unhappy customers with the same faults.

Since the dealers (tried 2) and BMW UK say the car is working fine when clearly it isn't. I even had an independant assessment done on the car and that agreed with me "not what you'd expect from a car of this value and marque".

I'm getting more annoyed and frustrated by the day as nobody at BMW wants to know or care it seems.
I've got a 2004 530d sport auto and I've just picked mine up from a re-code, I am astounded at the difference its made to the gear changes, its like a different car much smoother.

Did you notice any difference after the re-code?
I never did a re-code...
Since i picked up my car at Germany, i have heard a "gear scratch noise" in the gearbox for 3 times. It is always at about 80km/h in those accelerate->deacceletare->full accelerate moments.
I am going to BMW to report this so that they fix it. What is supposed to happen? Has anyone had this?
[/quote]

There are NO gears that touch each other in the auto tranny. You heard something else.

Quick Reply: Considering a 530d Auto????