Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Considering a 530d Auto????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225864
well maybe you should consider another dealer..... maybe I'm wrong but it seems really just like a software issue...... what is your CIP?
How do you check the level of CIP?
[/quote]

ask the dealer or there is a manual somewhere on the forum how to check it via Idrive....
do some search here in CIP version etc......
Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225866
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225862' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:43 AM
well maybe you should consider another dealer..... maybe I'm wrong but it seems really just like a software issue...... what is your CIP?
ask the dealer or there is a manual somewhere on the forum how to check it via Idrive....
[/quote]

I genuinely like the e60 as there is very little else that I really like, I have asked the dealers to replace it with a 530i petrol manual - so I haven't completely lost faith. I will check out the CIP version.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225861
and as to your consumtion.... well first of all I thing your car is not fully broken in yet...... so it can get only better with time.....
It's been back to the dealers for reflashing of the ECU's and to me the whole car seems sluggish, it is very thirsty and the exhaust sounds like there is something wrong with it, the fact that it changes the gear shift points bugs me - maybe my expectations are too high but I just expected better for ?36k
The performance is not as good as my previous car. It has a few other problems but the transmission must be at fault - after 6k miles, reflashes it still does not behave as it should.
[/quote]

Could you give us more information about your car :
- when did you buy it ?
- How much miles/kms ?
- what are the options (M Sport ? Rims ? Tires ?)
- Where do you live ?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

BMW's R6 3.0 diesel and 3.0 petrol are probably the best 3l engines ever. That is an objectively very well known fact.

well I hope you will get it all solved. Because I don;t see how one cannot just love the E60....after debugged of course
Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='225869
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225860' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:34 AM
and as to your consumtion.... well first of all I thing your car is not fully broken in yet...... so it can get only better with time.....
It's been back to the dealers for reflashing of the ECU's and to me the whole car seems sluggish, it is very thirsty and the exhaust sounds like there is something wrong with it, the fact that it changes the gear shift points bugs me - maybe my expectations are too high but I just expected better for ?36k
The performance is not as good as my previous car. It has a few other problems but the transmission must be at fault - after 6k miles, reflashes it still does not behave as it should.
- when did you buy it ?
- How much miles/kms ?
- Where do you live ?
[/quote]

June 2005, 6400 miles, M sport, media pack, visibilty pack, Coventry UK
Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225871
Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225861' date='Jan 18 2006, 12:40 PM
[quote name='Peter530i' post='225860' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:34 AM']
- when did you buy it ?
- How much miles/kms ?
- Where do you live ?
[/quote]

June 2005, 6400 miles, M sport, media pack, visibilty pack, Coventry UK
[/quote]

Are you using winter tires ??
Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Oscar,
When I had the problem, BMW arranged for ZF to come and see me. They plugged their computer into my car and found that I had an incorrect EU version of gearbox software.

It took all of 10 minutes to load the correct version and the problem went away! If it's not software, then again the ZF guy, after demonstrating the problem to him, will be able to advise BMW as to a course of action.

Call ZF UK yourself and find out who is responsible for the BMW account and have a chat with him first.

Good luck

Streak
Old 01-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='225845' date='Jan 18 2006, 10:55 AM
Now you probably buy a diesel because it returns good MPG as well as all the power, these "characteristics" mean that I get 24MPG at best compared to 35MPG from my e39.
Something is not right! 24mpg isn't right - but what sort of driving is this? The auto eats lots of fuel if you're just driving around town...
Old 01-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='225874' date='Jan 18 2006, 12:12 PM
Oscar,
When I had the problem, BMW arranged for ZF to come and see me. They plugged their computer into my car and found that I had an incorrect EU version of gearbox software.

It took all of 10 minutes to load the correct version and the problem went away! If it's not software, then again the ZF guy, after demonstrating the problem to him, will be able to advise BMW as to a course of action.

Call ZF UK yourself and find out who is responsible for the BMW account and have a chat with him first.

Good luck

Streak
I'll get in touch with ZF directly thanks. This sounds to me like the most likely problem, the car changes gear quite unnecessarily IMO, I don't drive any differently in this car than my last car but I'm getting 30% fewer miles to the gallon.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Definitely sounds like a fault - I have never had that problem with mine, though it is an old (2004) E60 530d auto. I would ask to speak to the service manager or go higher if you don't get a more helpful response from the supplying dealer. Did you talk to the salesman who took your original order? Often they can lean on the service department if a customer isn't satisfied.

Regarding the difference between E39 and E60, I can sympathise, having two manual E39s prior to buying my auto E60, it is a very different car and certainly felt strange for the first few weeks and I wondered if I had done the right thing. The E39 was a great car, and a very tough act to follow. But the E60 is growing on me.

Economy is a little disappointing probably due to the auto 'box. I'm getting an average of 34 mpg. My car's done 17,000 miles and probably isn't run in yet, so I am hoping this will improve. My last 525d E39 (manual) was still getting better (from an economy point of view) at 59,000 miles - around 42mpg up from 39mpg when it was new. Diesel engines take time to loosen up.

Good luck with getting your tranmission sorted out.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225866
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='225862' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:43 AM
[/quote]
Check out this post for how to find out which software version you're running:

Software Version, What do you have, and what's the latest?

Quick Reply: Considering a 530d Auto????