Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

CIP Update - $300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by crgoda' post='227591
ok lets start
1) oil - the E60 has variable oil change interval by computer..... various sensors, number of engine start, miles, cold starts.....this all comes to a count so the computer tells you when to exchange the oil.
This is no special feature those days, it has been around 4 years at least... VW, Audi... all had it back then..... and yes it can vary car to car.... it really all depends on all those variable how the car is driven - 40k km is no problem. My father really drives slow and he has no problem reaching 40k km oil intervals on his car....

HOWEVER
it is recommended especialy with the very first oil ever in car to exchange it sooner.... I had mine oil and filer exchanged after 15k km even if my computer said like more 15k to go..... it is worth the extra $200

2) yes, generaly the BMW dealers are told not to update the CIP unless there is a problem with your car..... because it really cost some time and money to do it so they do not want to pay for it unless there is a problem...
so yes, your techie was a very nice guy.... it is a know fact to say you have a bluetooth problem or the transmition slam problem and they will update your CIP for free - in that case they actually have to do it

3) 300$ cost??? probably just to get rid of you at the moment

THanks for explanation...I guess everytime I want a CIP upgrade. my Bluetooth will go down
As a matter of fact it will go down this week

Originally Posted by sam530' post='227540' date='Jan 21 2006, 03:40 PM
Wait until your standard warranty runs out at 50K miles. I am currently at 64K miles and have the factory extended warranty with full service maintenance to 100K. I just found out last week that any software update that does not require an actual part being replaced is NOT covered. For example:

1) Airbag Malfunction- needs a new mat sensor in pass seat. Dealer will replace mat sensor and update software. Covered under extended warranty.

2) RDS Radio Malfunction- Not covered under warranty because no actual part needs replacing, just software update. NOT covered per dealer.

3) Active Steering Fault- Again, NOT covered because no part needs replacing, only software update to fix.

They also wanted to charge me to update the software. I even confirmed all this BS with BMWNA. Again, I have the Original BMW Factory extended warranty and service maintenance to 100K that I purchased from the dealership.

Bottom line, pointless to own a BMW with more than 50K miles on it! :thumbsdown:

Good point!
I guess my baby is gone after 30k miles.....
[/quote]

Getting rid of the e60 after 30k miles is a bit extreme. I have noticed most of the problems that people post are with software issues not mechanical. It also seems like the newer cars have less of these problems, for instance on my car I have only had a couple of rattling problems. I think that by the time the warranty expires any software issues will be resolved. These cars should last well into the 100k miles ++.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

As an FYI, a software upgrade takes a few hours to do and often does not take the first time. My dealer upgraded mine for free recently because of a battery drain warning and seats not working periodically. He kept it over night to perform the upgrade but had to load the software twice.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' post='228203' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:36 AM
As an FYI, a software upgrade takes a few hours to do and often does not take the first time. My dealer upgraded mine for free recently because of a battery drain warning and seats not working periodically. He kept it over night to perform the upgrade but had to load the software twice.
They really can take up to five, or so, hours--even if there is no crash. Mine did.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Why does the CIP upgrade take so long? Does anyone know how big the software image is, and how slow the connection is? Does it use the serial diagnostic port or something?

It amazes me that BMW have got themselves into this situation where customers suffer from problems that could easily be fixed with a software upgrade but the upgrade takes hours to do.

I can almost forgive them for getting this wrong on the older models, but why are they still producing E60s that take 3 hours to upgrade? I can't understand why they don't make the software upgrade easier or at least faster. How hard can it be to add a high speed port (USB or similar) onto the in-car computer, or removable flash memory? Does anyone know the inside scoop on this?

My service rep told me that it not only takes a few hours, but it ties up one of their expensive diagnostic machines for all that time. Unbelieveable - why can't BMW develop a simple software program to allow dealers to use a laptop PC to upgrade customers cars? Next step would be to allow customers to download the software updates ourselves :-)

I heard that the new 3-series has much faster upgrade time, so it sound like BMW have addressed the problem there, but why not fix the E60 too? It wouldn't help us with our current cars, but I'd like to know that my next E60 wouldn't suffer from this.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I just took my e60 for software upgarde this morning. My SA told me I probably can pick it up on Wednesday. That's 2 full days.

My loaner is a e61 530xi, not bad with fully loaded options.