Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Change of heart, ordered 535d Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop it! I am tempted. It's one of the few options that I actually left off. Is it really worth ?500 over the upgraded hi-fi? I've found that system to be really good in my current car. I'm wondering whether to ditch the active steering as I've found the standard steering to be really good. Problem is I test drove a 645Ci with active steering and it was fantastic. Does anyone have experience of the system in the 5 against the 6 - are they the same?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Sometimes I can't tell where the wheels are with the active steering. The ratio changes the faster you go. I didn't test the standard steering.
I still like the active steering, just have to pay more attention. At least I do.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:54 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 22 2004, 04:25 PM
Stop it! I am tempted. It's one of the few options that I actually left off. Is it really worth ?500 over the upgraded hi-fi? I've found that system to be really good in my current car. I'm wondering whether to ditch the active steering as I've found the standard steering to be really good. Problem is I test drove a 645Ci with active steering and it was fantastic. Does anyone have experience of the system in the 5 against the 6 - are they the same?
[snapback]48039[/snapback]
Aw shucks, ISUK. Just buy one of each and then you tell us.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 22 2004, 11:12 AM
alohalc,

That's easy. Only known the current g/f for 3 months and in that short time I have converted her from a girl who was not interested in cars at all to a lady who is now very knowledgable on BMW specs? ? She drives an ancient little Peugeot but wants my help to find her a used Mini Cooper. She was very keen on me getting an X5 but not the colour I picked, not at all keen on a Cayenne which she thought was ugly, but very cool about the switch to another 5 as she loves my current car. She thinks it makes me look very important. I keep telling her that's because I AM!!? ? She finds my fascination with cars very amusing. She loves my Z4 to look at but doesn't enjoy being driven around in it due to the harsh suspension. I may have to change that for one of the new Boxsters!
[snapback]48030[/snapback]
only 3 months? no wonder she didn't say anything . how about a new 3 (or 4 as rumor) instead of boxster if you want convertible ?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

ISUK

seriously mate - ditch the active and go for L7 - best ever option i've specced - congrats on the order

the longer i live with my 5 the more i love the design

jonboy
Old 10-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

jonboy,

I think you could be right there. I'm thinking of ditching the active steering and the heated seats (hardly used them in my current car) and picking up Logic 7 instead. That takes care of around ?400 of my saving..... now what can I spend the rest on?

Seriously though, the only quibble I've had with the car is that I didn't feel the interior quality was up to scratch. By taking the Individual option route this should be rectified as all of the interior surfaces are trimmed in leather The thing I'm not impressed about is that the BMW group website says that Individual option 3 includes the alcantara headliner whilst the UK brochure/price list says it doesn't. Also I feel a bit shortchanged as I'm not going for an individual colour which is deletable from the option 3 pack but for which BMW give you no price reduction. How can that be fair? My dealer is going to attempt to get them to give me an alcantara headliner in place of the paint.

Oh and by the way, I also got a good discount on the car.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 22 2004, 11:25 PM
[snapback]48039[/snapback]
L7 is definately worth the money!
AS is fantastic too.
So, if you can't get both... You are used to regular steering, you'll not "miss" AS. But you listen to music while driving every time!!!
I would take the L7!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Congratulations on your decision!
As for Individual Eq 3 I'm surprised that you have to pay in any case for the paint you delete. Here we get EUR 2,185 reduction for Eq3 in that case. Anyway check with cpd1, I understood that he received clean price without the paint. If paint included he should pay more in UK.
Otherwise bear in mind that you will still not receive evryth in leather with Eq3 compared to full leather of Eq1.
Some plasctic will remain, for ex. central dash board line and door pockets (which make a striking contrast to fine leather parts in my opinion).
As for alcantara I think it is Eq1 prerogative only in all the prospects which I have seen. Otherwise i think Eq2+3 should be MUCH MORE expensive.

Re AS I would not drop it for anything since I'm already addicted to it. Now
when i take my wife's 325 I feel like I'm steering the car of 70s. In particular if you have to park or U-turn very often.Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

igor,

You are correct, my salesman has quoted me the wrong price - he has just moved to BMW and isn't familiar with the Individual range. The UK price list shows that if you delete the Individual paint option the cost of the package is reduced to ?1400, a saving of ?1285. That makes it comparable to the exclusive leather cost option in the UK which, as you say, makes it seem very good value. I need to get the catalogue which shows which interior parts are trimmed in merino leather.

With that saving I'm going to add logic 7 . Does anyone know if you can delete the cupholder option in the UK? It seems to be part of the standard UK spec but I think the dash looks a whole lot better without those ugly, colour mismatched doors and that unsightly ridge line in it.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Members

My Ride: M5 SilverstoneII / Siverstone Fully loaded
Thumbs up

I am very confused with all this talk about indivdual pack level 1 to 3.

I have just ordered 535d with level 2 ( advised by sales man )

Onyx Blue with Caramel and a dark wood ( not piano black )

Could anyone clearly explain the difference bwtween 1,2,3 or direct me to a BMW site with this information.

Any help please

Quick Reply: Change of heart, ordered 535d Sport