Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Cash for BMW Clunkers???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Thumbs up

One of my friends at work has an old 2001 5er... He was joking with me saying he would take it down to Ford and get a Fusion in exchange for 4.5K for his car....

...That got me thinking. Ford, Mazda, GM, Chrysler are all racking up BIG time sales (not seen this kind of volume since the early 1980s) with the Cash4Clunkers govt initiative program. To that end, they are catering big time to their clients -- all kinds of financing specials, vehicle accessories, deals, etc. One of our employees bought a totally tricked out Ford Fusion Hybrid for 20K with an audio package and enhanced wheels thrown in (for free)....

So my question is -- how does BMW respond to this??? There's no way any one will take their old Beemer for a clunker deal even though my friend was perpetrating to do so.. At the same time, they're not slashing prices or offering special deals to keep up. Are they going to LOSE OUT big time? I see no changes in their marketing approach but they need to do something drastic if they want to rack up their sales with this initiative... Remember the US sales figures for the past year were Horrible!

Just my $0.02........ Hope BMWNA is keeping their eye on the ball.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributors

there are late 90s 5er clunkers for sure. i saw a few get blown up. search it on youtube.

many bmw customers are shopping for a car in a completely different category then a ford focus. they have probably not lost ANY sales. the guy who had his heart set on a 550 will not be getting a chevy malabu anytime soon
Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributors

ps. some BMWS qualify for the program. you could turn in an old clunker for a new BMW.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='984056' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:11 PM
ps. some BMWS qualify for the program. you could turn in an old clunker for a new BMW.
Really??? Which ones? Where?? Have you seen the BMW Sales Figures this year? They're not looking good.....and that was before the cash for clunkers was announced.
I understand what you're saying about the BMW Customer not changing their mind...but the 3 series are trying to get the high end Accord customers and there is some overlap on the spectrums. Even more so for the CPOd cars.. I know my local dealership has been hit hard -- clients that thought they would get a CPOd or a low end 1 or 3 have decided not to go with BMW because of the addl dollars they get for their older vehicles from other competitors. My dealership doesn't participate in the cash for clunkers program....
Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

BMW will not benefit from the clunker program, but Mini could.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='984059' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:16 PM
Really??? Which ones? Where?? Have you seen the BMW Sales Figures this year? They're not looking good.....and that was before the cash for clunkers was announced.
I understand what you're saying about the BMW Customer not changing their mind...but the 3 series are trying to get the high end Accord customers and there is some overlap on the spectrums. Even more so for the CPOd cars.. I know my local dealership has been hit hard -- clients that thought they would get a CPOd or a low end 1 or 3 have decided not to go with BMW because of the addl dollars they get for their older vehicles from other competitors. My dealership doesn't participate in the cash for clunkers program....
yes. bmws sales figures arent great. other companies are great because of cash for clunkers. most of the people that traded in cars ARE NOT and WERE NOT ever intended to be BMW customers. comparitively speaking BMW looks to not be doing so hot, but i presume that BMWs figures would be similar, if not the same if the CARS program didnt exist.

yes, the used car insustry is taking a hit all around.

For_Immediate_Release:

(Free-Press-Release.com) June 21, 2009 -- Cash for Clunkers car buyers can shop for BMW cars under the new bill?s provisions. Certain BMW cars meet the fuel efficiency requirements to be eligible for the Cash for Clunkers voucher program. Under the new bill, consumers would receive a voucher worth up to $4,500 for trading in their current clunker for a new, more fuel efficient car.

According to the official Cash for Clunkers Facts websites, the following BMW cars qualify for the Cash for Clunkers trade-in program:

? 128
? 135
? 328
? 335d
? 528

In order to qualify, total combined city and highway MPG estimates must equal 44. To see the complete list of BMW cars and their MPG estimates, visit http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/...-mpg-estimates

Cash for Clunkers received the green light on June 18th to be added to the war time funding bill, with an initial $1 billion reserved for the new bill. President Obama has already said he would sign the bill into law, with action expected to be completed by July.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='984065' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:22 PM
yes. bmws sales figures arent great. other companies are great because of cash for clunkers. most of the people that traded in cars ARE NOT and WERE NOT ever intended to be BMW customers. comparitively speaking BMW looks to not be doing so hot, but i presume that BMWs figures would be similar, if not the same if the CARS program didnt exist.

yes, the used car insustry is taking a hit all around.

For_Immediate_Release:

(Free-Press-Release.com) June 21, 2009 -- Cash for Clunkers car buyers can shop for BMW cars under the new bill?s provisions. Certain BMW cars meet the fuel efficiency requirements to be eligible for the Cash for Clunkers voucher program. Under the new bill, consumers would receive a voucher worth up to $4,500 for trading in their current clunker for a new, more fuel efficient car.

According to the official Cash for Clunkers Facts websites, the following BMW cars qualify for the Cash for Clunkers trade-in program:

? 128
? 135
? 328
? 335d
? 528

In order to qualify, total combined city and highway MPG estimates must equal 44. To see the complete list of BMW cars and their MPG estimates, visit http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/...-mpg-estimates

Cash for Clunkers received the green light on June 18th to be added to the war time funding bill, with an initial $1 billion reserved for the new bill. President Obama has already said he would sign the bill into law, with action expected to be completed by July.
Great stuff Craig - so it's only a few models that stand to benefit but then again....I'm surprised to see the 528 make that list..... Do you know if individual dealerships vary in their participation? Mine doesn't, for example.....
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributors

it wasnt mandatory participation, and it is over on monday anyway
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Is there a way for me to determine which dealerships are participating in the CARS program?

YES. The CARS program is limited to dealers that register with NHTSA. You can access the list of registered dealers by visiting the following portion of our website: http://www.cars.gov/dealer-locator
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='984096' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:53 PM
Great stuff Craig - so it's only a few models that stand to benefit but then again....I'm surprised to see the 528 make that list..... Do you know if individual dealerships vary in their participation? Mine doesn't, for example.....
I never knew my 528i gets a combined of 40MPG.

Quick Reply: Cash for BMW Clunkers???