Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Car stolen ... from the dealer

Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Belgium (now)
Posts: 129
My Ride: '05 525i
Default

My colleague's car was stolen from the official BMW dealer in Brussels. The car was left for simple tyre change, so imagine the surprice of my colleague when police called and said 'you have a problem'. It is 116d bought at the same dealership a year ago, complete insurance coverage, so we thought 'sh... happens', but with the insurance and expecting a reasonable approach from the dealer we thought this will be soon over. Unfortunately, there were other valuable belongings as well in the car's trunk.

First off, dealership could not explain how it all happened and only after insisting fiercly to give back the keys they acknowledged that the keys were inside the car. It took quite some efforts and time to receive information and explanations. My colleague's insurance says it can not help, as the keys were inside the car ... After long deliberations, the dealer 'offered' to take one of their test cars ... or a small compensation in cash, which will not be enough to buy the equivalent car (not counting registration taxes, which are also substantial here in Belgium).

All in all, besides this 'pleasant experience' and lots of wasted time my friend will suffer a substantial financial damage because her car was stolen from the dealer ... I was expecting that the dealer will offer the new car with the same equipment just to avoid bad publicity, but it seems they do not care at all.
mooney058 is offline  
Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
  #2  
Contributors
 
nomis_nehc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,781
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016
Default

Whoa, this is unbelievable. Aren't there any security cameras installed? This sounds extremely fishy to me.
nomis_nehc is offline  
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM
  #3  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Belgium (now)
Posts: 129
My Ride: '05 525i
Default

I used to leave my e60 for service there as well, never paid attention to cameras. apparently there are no cameras at all. anybody could walk in check if any of the cars has keys and drive away ... I had a thought that it may even be 'insider's work'


Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
Whoa, this is unbelievable. Aren't there any security cameras installed? This sounds extremely fishy to me.
mooney058 is offline  
Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
  #4  
Senior Members
 
leese8080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 903
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue
Default

Wow WTF... That is extremely unfortunate.

leese8080 is offline  
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
  #5  
Contributors
 
nomis_nehc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,781
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016
Default

Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
I used to leave my e60 for service there as well, never paid attention to cameras. apparently there are no cameras at all. anybody could walk in check if any of the cars has keys and drive away ... I had a thought that it may even be 'insider's work'
Huh, that is very unusual to hear dealerships not having any camera. That's like the perfect lot to jack cars then.
nomis_nehc is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM
  #6  
Senior Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,845
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list
Default

Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
My colleague's car was stolen from the official BMW dealer in Brussels. The car was left for simple tyre change, so imagine the surprice of my colleague when police called and said 'you have a problem'. It is 116d bought at the same dealership a year ago, complete insurance coverage, so we thought 'sh... happens', but with the insurance and expecting a reasonable approach from the dealer we thought this will be soon over. Unfortunately, there were other valuable belongings as well in the car's trunk.

First off, dealership could not explain how it all happened and only after insisting fiercly to give back the keys they acknowledged that the keys were inside the car. It took quite some efforts and time to receive information and explanations. My colleague's insurance says it can not help, as the keys were inside the car ... After long deliberations, the dealer 'offered' to take one of their test cars ... or a small compensation in cash, which will not be enough to buy the equivalent car (not counting registration taxes, which are also substantial here in Belgium).

All in all, besides this 'pleasant experience' and lots of wasted time my friend will suffer a substantial financial damage because her car was stolen from the dealer ... I was expecting that the dealer will offer the new car with the same equipment just to avoid bad publicity, but it seems they do not care at all.
This isn't an issue with your insurance company since the car and keys were in the dealership's possesison at the time of theft - the dealership is solely responsible for the loss and its up to them and THEIR insurance to provide restitution.

Do they not have lawyers in Belgium? If they do - hire one quickly!
pukka is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
  #7  
Senior Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5
Default

if ur friend could get a good lawyer she could end up with a lot of money
mbawazir is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
  #8  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Belgium (now)
Posts: 129
My Ride: '05 525i
Default

Thanks guys, we will definetly look for a legal advice. Anyone from Belgium/Brussels could recomend a good lawyer/legal firm?

Originally Posted by mbawazir View Post
if ur friend could get a good lawyer she could end up with a lot of money
mooney058 is offline  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
  #9  
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SEA, WA
Posts: 44
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport CPO Space Age Grey
Default

His insurance company won't cover 'theft' if the keys are in the vehicle?

Who knows the insurance laws there, but in the USA this would be covered.

If the vehicle was in possession of the dealership, it falls under their care.
BL 5 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kongse
E60 Discussion
7
07-17-2015 03:29 PM
Godzilla
Private Member Classifieds
8
04-13-2015 05:47 AM
edavis949
E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods
13
04-06-2015 07:08 AM
kumarnbk
Other BMW Models
1
03-30-2015 02:12 PM
zz545
Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum
3
11-13-2003 12:31 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car stolen ... from the dealer


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.