Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Car due in Friday!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my 530 is due in to the dealer Friday!!! Black Sapphire on black leather, premium package, premium sound, xenons, cold weather, rear seat heaters, rear shades, navigation...

Any suggestions on things I should ensure are o.k./present with my car before I take delivery?

Things I can think of:

1) 1st Aid kit
2) Nav voice command working
3) BMW Floor Mats (not the cheap ones)
4)

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Surfing this forum has been my salvation during my 8 week wait; you guys are great!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 AM
JDN
Contributors

Check to get your BMW Assist activated because my insurance company gave a smidgeon of a break for that. I plan to quantify that benefit before renewing.

Mine delivered in pristine condition. In the first month I have found absolutely no reason to take it to the service department. Everything works as I expect it to.

Look it over carefully. Make sure you get three keys (one is valet). And if you don't have a telephone, see if you can find out for the rest of us how to remove that little tray for additional storage (climate controlled, too). I have tried everything but a ball-peen hammer.

You also might consider stopping by Eckerd's and checking your blood pressure as needed between now and Friday.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

If your car was built within the last two months (since March production at latest), and you got NAV, then the Voice Command works straight from the factory.

AFAIK, 545's come with the BMW floor mats standard, and anything else would need to be negotiated with your CA as part of the deal.

Check to get your BMW Assist activated because my insurance company gave a smidgeon of a break for that. I plan to quantify that benefit before renewing.
JDN: what insurance company are you using? Did they ask you if you had some kind of telematics service? Do they think that BMW Assist is Lojack? I'm interested in pursuing this with USAA.

-MrB
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 PM
sj3
Senior Members

A couple of references to delivery checklists:

http://www.geocities.com/diver00/checklist.htm (BMW-specific)
http://www.fool.com/Car/Worksheets/D...yChecklist.htm (more generic)

I know there's a 7-series delivery checklist somewhere. I looked around for bit but couldn't find it.

Sam
Old 05-26-2004, 12:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

The agent was already aware of BMW Assist and queried me if this car was so equipped. Then I was asked for a certificate which I later faxed after activation. I don't know the benefit, but do know that the cost of insuring the new one did not go up from the previous '97 540-6.

The insurance company is Nationwide. Even though BMW Assist is of no help in locating a stolen car (at this point), the quicker response to crash sites has to be a benefit for life and limb which in turn would benefit an insurance company. If I am getting, say a $100 insurance benefit a year, that would cause me to reevaluate the cost of BMW Assist. Without BMWA, I would still be shelling out the $65 for Roadsided Assistance.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

stu make sure you play with the auto rear sunshades, the cross blades are so smooth and quick!
i played with them hundreds of times, just like a kid. excellent wow factor. rollee
Old 05-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

for mrbelk, I have my insurance w/ USAA and got no break for BMW Assit. Since BMW Assist can't be used to track your car if stolen (like the OnStar in my Suburban could), there was no discount for the BMW Assist. Got the usual discounts for airbags, alarm etc.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

You might want to consider adding mud flaps. They're black and perfect for your black sapphire exterior. Also I got Lojack for peace of mind since I'm close to the border. The BMW all weather floor mats (Rubber) is better than the carpet type,IMO. Easier to clean and has BMW on them. Kinda heavy though.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Members

The 7 series cheklist made by Rost12 can be found here
http://members.roadfly.org/e65faq/

I made my own 5 series checklist

Options
Beige w/Nasca Leather
Orient Blue Metallic
6 Speed Automatic Transmission with STEPTRONIC
Comfort Seats
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
Navigation Package
Ventilated Seats
Active Steering
Through Load with Ski Bag
Park Distance Control
Adaptive Headlights
Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System Included
Dynamic Drive
Electric Rear Sunshade with Manual Side Sunshades
Summer/Winter Mats
Keychain
Checklist for taking delivery on new 5
- Visual walk around

- Check the NAV system to be sure that voice directions are given
- Check all basic iDrive functions (climate, sound system settings)
- Ask the sales manager to demonstrate that the SOS system works
- Change cell phone service
- Make sure that all recall and tech service bulletins were performed
- Check mileage on odometer, should be around 5-7 miles (7-12 kms)
- Check Speedometer ticks aligned for MPH not Kilometer, and vice versa for Canada
- Make sure that the front license plate holder and "Dealer" plate are replaced with the beauty spacer that matches the vehicle
- Make sure that no other decals of dealer emblems are applied

- Make sure the tire pressure is correct (as per the table on the driver's door) and Tire Pressure Monitor is working properly
- Make sure everything is in English, including the country name in navigation

I made a table so i can checkmark each one of them when picking up the car.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Did anybody mention about the Daytime Running Light Option? This is a dealer install/set option and not programmable via Idrive. You might want to add this to your check list?