Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Brakes replacement under warranty - unsuccessful

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='1002259' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:00 PM
This is an easy one-happened to me. Computer saying not time to change but happened to be my car was sitting at their shopt for 3 weeks and didnt want to bring it back 2 months later. They said no. So I asked for measurments of rotors and pads and what the bmw minimum recomned specs were. Every corners rotor and pad was under spec-rotors too thin, pads to thin so bmw is obligated to replace if you are still under maintence plan.

You get them to give you the numbers on paper-then there is no debate.
This is good. Let me give this a try. It's a shame that we spent good money on our cars but dealers make it such an unpleasant experience.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='1002259' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:00 PM
This is an easy one-happened to me. Computer saying not time to change but happened to be my car was sitting at their shopt for 3 weeks and didnt want to bring it back 2 months later. They said no. So I asked for measurments of rotors and pads and what the bmw minimum recomned specs were. Every corners rotor and pad was under spec-rotors too thin, pads to thin so bmw is obligated to replace if you are still under maintence plan.

You get them to give you the numbers on paper-then there is no debate.

That is great stuff Diamond. I will definitely be trying this, because I am sick and tired of my car squealing every time I brake - I hate it.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

Does anyone know what the minimum recommended specs are for pad and rotor?
I want to arm myself with as much information as possible when dealing with these bozos at the dealer.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kxn530i07' post='1003059' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know what the minimum recommended specs are for pad and rotor?
I want to arm myself with as much information as possible when dealing with these bozos at the dealer.

Thanks.

You can try calling a different dealer and asking, nothing wrong with a little fibbing to get the info you need.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire

your dealer is playing hardball i just got all mine replaced under maintenance no questions asked
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

I had my pads changed numerous times, all 4 rotors changed at least 2 times (different cars) and got 2 set of free runflat tires (different cars again) under warranty, none because service indicator said so.
You need to find a different dealer, if the problem is really there. Or at least make sure you are having the problem, because it might not be the case.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they should replace the brakes based on your complaint and especially if they tell you that the brakes are less than 2 or 3 mm. You might want to have them document the thickness of the pads in writing and remind them that if the brakes fail from that point on there will be plenty of lawyers interested in hearing your story. My dealer replaced my pads after hearing my complaint of soft pedal and they verified that my brakes were at the 2mm marks.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1003105' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:56 PM
You can try calling a different dealer and asking, nothing wrong with a little fibbing to get the info you need.

Let me make sure that I understand the situation:

1. It is ok to fib if you are a customer.

2. It is not ok to fib if you are a dealer.

One dealer told me that it actually is ok for the dealer to lie (no matter what dept) because it is part of their job. lol
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1019603' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:45 PM
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they should replace the brakes based on your complaint and especially if they tell you that the brakes are less than 2 or 3 mm. You might want to have them document the thickness of the pads in writing and remind them that if the brakes fail from that point on there will be plenty of lawyers interested in hearing your story. My dealer replaced my pads after hearing my complaint of soft pedal and they verified that my brakes were at the 2mm marks.

Nice approach.

First of all, you (theoretical customer) and I (theoretical S A) form a great business relationship.

Then, you threaten me with an attorney.

Remind me to avoid doing business with you.

Keep in mind that some businesses will refuse to do business the minute the customer talks about hiring an attorney. This advice comes from their insurance company (attorneys).

Communication between both parties can still continue, via attorney to attorney.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='1023211' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:07 PM
Let me make sure that I understand the situation:

1. It is ok to fib if you are a customer.

2. It is not ok to fib if you are a dealer.

One dealer told me that it actually is ok for the dealer to lie (no matter what dept) because it is part of their job. lol
Yes, this happened recently with my wife's Subaru:
She took to to a dealer (not our normal dealer) because of a loud clicking sound from the engine. That dealer told her (probably because she's a woman) that it was due to improper maintenance and a whole new short block was needed at a cost for $5k (not incl labor). I said "F*^# that!!!!" this is a 2007 Subaru with less than 42K miles. So we took it to the dealer we bought if from and "fibbed" a little, not even mentioning the dealer who said we needed a new short block. They tore it apart and discovered, lo and behold, that the timing belt tensioners were in several pieces, they tried and could not determine the cause. They gave her a loaner (crappy Ford) and had the car for 2 weeks, we just got it back Wed.
Dealers are lazy, if you go to another dealer an tell them "This other dealer said this....." they will just agree and you're screwed. If you fib a little and bring it up as a "new" issue they may actually check it out and find a real problem.

Quick Reply: Brakes replacement under warranty - unsuccessful