Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Bought a 06 CPO 530xi: Recommendations on Extended Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pred02' post='667250' date='Sep 11 2008, 04:20 PM
Foreign Motor West @ Natick for $32.5k. Its owned by Herb Chambers. Those guys say they use the "smart" price system so they are not willing to negotiate much, but we wanted a 6-spd (not many available) so we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Options: Navi, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenon, 4whl drive but no Logic7.
Is this a fair price? We got to jump the gun on the deal or not.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pred02' post='667335' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:41 PM
Is this a fair price? We got to jump the gun on the deal or not.
Hi George,

Is it the Silver Gray Metallic with beige interior and navigation with 38K on the odometer? If it is, it was right next to the car I ended up buying. I actually like your color better than what I got, but the wife cannot drive a manual and so I ended up getting the 525xI, automatic.

Ok, here's the deal, they will not negotiate the price, but you can negotiate everything else. This is where I got my extended maintenance package for around $1500. They started out by telling me that nothing was negotiable or they would lose their jobs.

The way I got the deal was that I basically got up from the chair and told them that I was not interested in the car if they would not negotiate the price of the maintenance package; I thanked them for their time and extended my hand as if I were going to shake their hands and leave. All of a sudden I was told to wait and maybe he could talk to the manager about it. The manager came back, introduced himself and told me that I could have the package for $1950. I told him that I would pay $1200, and then he went to $1850. I told him I would split the difference and we stopped in the $1500 range. I also got them to throw in a few accessories.

Also, when you visit their web site right now, if you have pop-ups enabled on your browser, there will be a $400 off coupon popping up when you click on the "Foreign Motors West" button. Fill it out, print it, and take it with you. They will give you $400 off their non-negotiable price. Give it to them before you close on the deal because I don't think they can honor it, once you shake hands.

FMW has been my dealer of choice for 11 years. Their service is great, but their sales department must still make the best sale for them, like everyone else. They underprice their cars, but they are the best quality CPOs in Massachusetts. I have looked at all the CPOs offered at all the MA dealers, and I have not been able to locate the same price I paid for my options levels, year, and mileage; FMW is lower by at least $3K. The price of your car is great considering that you have premium, cold weather, and NAV, but if you can talk them into lowering their maintenance package to $1600, I would stick with the BMW package instead of a 3rd party.

I don't think that you will find any plan that will cover shocks or struts. Now that we have determined that we live in approx. the same area, I can attest to the fact that I have only replaced one strut on a BMW with 100K (at 48K), and two struts on another BMW at around the 90K mileage mark, and sold that with 138K on the clock. I am very familiar with Rt. 9 and I have not experienced much shock/strut damage in 11 years with BMW. I have a friend with MB, and he has had all kinds of problems with struts and hubs, so I think this is more of a MB issue than BMW.

My other suggestion is to join the BMW club for $40/year, and if you maintain a membership for at least one consecutive year before you buy a CPO, you will get a $500 check, independently from your deal at FMW, on your next CPO. It will take about 10 weeks after you send the required form and all the proof of purchase copies they require. I did that with my previous BMW, and I just sent in the paperwork for my new car, meaning that after I get this check, BMW will have paid me $1,000 vs. about $400 in membership fees (used to be $35/yr) and I will be ahead of the game. Also, membership entitles you to 15% off accessories and parts (only in the parts department of most BMW dealers and some advertisers in Roundel) and that alone has saved me about $500. In addition, the club will send you one of the best monthly magazine (Roundel) about BMW on the entire planet, and depending on your level of involvement, you could get to meet some of the most knowledgeable BMW enthusiasts in the world.

Good luck and I hope you can get the same deal I got on the extended maintenance package. Please keep us updated. See you on Rt. 9.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Contributors

If you are planning to keep the car the extended maintenance package is worth it. Aside from oil services and filters it also covers brake pad/rotor/coolant and fluid flushes too. About $1700 is the "right" price - not $2500! Whatever the Condition Based Monitors call for.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Non-Sport pkg, Premium package, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, 20inch RPM R-505 Wheels, 20-35% Tint Debadged

Originally Posted by Phil75070' post='667253' date='Sep 11 2008, 01:29 PM
As I understand it, and maybe I am wrong being a relative newcomer to the bimmer family, there is no "scheduled maintenance" like you are using the term. The car will tell you when you need to service it and only then will the dealer do the required maintenance under the maintenance program. It is referred to as "Condition Based Service". There are sensors that determine when brake fluid, brake pads, spark plugs, microfilters, etc. need to be serviced. If the car does not say you need brakes, you pay.

My wife puts on about 2200 miles per month in all city driving. On our last x5 (03) the Dealership replaced her front brakes four times and her back brakes twice between 32k and 91k miles. I don't know what the sensors said, but when they squeaked, or when the pads were down they replaced them. On one of the services they replaced two front rotors.

For four years now (X5 and 530i) we've only had to pay for light bulbs and tires. With the amount of miles my wife drives daily and the cost of gas, with the 100k warranty and maintenance it was cheaper by $64.00 per month for her to get the 530 over the Camry Hybrid.......and that includes the money that would have been saved on gas. We will keep buying BMW's over and over again as long as they offer the maintenance.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='667390' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:55 PM
Hi George,

Is it the Silver Gray Metallic with beige interior and navigation with 38K on the odometer? If it is, it was right next to the car I ended up buying. I actually like your color better than what I got, but the wife cannot drive a manual and so I ended up getting the 525xI, automatic.

Ok, here's the deal, they will not negotiate the price, but you can negotiate everything else. This is where I got my extended maintenance package for around $1500. They started out by telling me that nothing was negotiable or they would lose their jobs.

The way I got the deal was that I basically got up from the chair and told them that I was not interested in the car if they would not negotiate the price of the maintenance package; I thanked them for their time and extended my hand as if I were going to shake their hands and leave. All of a sudden I was told to wait and maybe he could talk to the manager about it. The manager came back, introduced himself and told me that I could have the package for $1950. I told him that I would pay $1200, and then he went to $1850. I told him I would split the difference and we stopped in the $1500 range. I also got them to throw in a few accessories.

Also, when you visit their web site right now, if you have pop-ups enabled on your browser, there will be a $400 off coupon popping up when you click on the "Foreign Motors West" button. Fill it out, print it, and take it with you. They will give you $400 off their non-negotiable price. Give it to them before you close on the deal because I don't think they can honor it, once you shake hands.

FMW has been my dealer of choice for 11 years. Their service is great, but their sales department must still make the best sale for them, like everyone else. They underprice their cars, but they are the best quality CPOs in Massachusetts. I have looked at all the CPOs offered at all the MA dealers, and I have not been able to locate the same price I paid for my options levels, year, and mileage; FMW is lower by at least $3K. The price of your car is great considering that you have premium, cold weather, and NAV, but if you can talk them into lowering their maintenance package to $1600, I would stick with the BMW package instead of a 3rd party.

I don't think that you will find any plan that will cover shocks or struts. Now that we have determined that we live in approx. the same area, I can attest to the fact that I have only replaced one strut on a BMW with 100K (at 48K), and two struts on another BMW at around the 90K mileage mark, and sold that with 138K on the clock. I am very familiar with Rt. 9 and I have not experienced much shock/strut damage in 11 years with BMW. I have a friend with MB, and he has had all kinds of problems with struts and hubs, so I think this is more of a MB issue than BMW.

My other suggestion is to join the BMW club for $40/year, and if you maintain a membership for at least one consecutive year before you buy a CPO, you will get a $500 check, independently from your deal at FMW, on your next CPO. It will take about 10 weeks after you send the required form and all the proof of purchase copies they require. I did that with my previous BMW, and I just sent in the paperwork for my new car, meaning that after I get this check, BMW will have paid me $1,000 vs. about $400 in membership fees (used to be $35/yr) and I will be ahead of the game. Also, membership entitles you to 15% off accessories and parts (only in the parts department of most BMW dealers and some advertisers in Roundel) and that alone has saved me about $500. In addition, the club will send you one of the best monthly magazine (Roundel) about BMW on the entire planet, and depending on your level of involvement, you could get to meet some of the most knowledgeable BMW enthusiasts in the world.

Good luck and I hope you can get the same deal I got on the extended maintenance package. Please keep us updated. See you on Rt. 9.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your advice. Unfortunately I received the post about 10 minutes after we departed for the dealership. We tried bargaining with them but it did not work. I objectively looked at the CPOs through the website to see what the alternates were. We really wanted a manual (We are from the old country (ala Europe), so driving a standard is a big thing for us); something like 39 out of 620 CPOs came out on the BMW website with a standard.

That's about 5-6%. I actually helped my parents pick the car, and I know that they do not like black interior (my mother is peculiar with details). I looked at the listing prices at other dealers, and came to realization that in the long run it is more important to get the car they will like then to save a little bit on a price. Of course, the moral victory of getting a good deal is important, but I though the price was fair - considering the supply/demand of auto/manual and other prices.

We always tend to want something rare. When my parents were considering the W211 E class, I was out scouting for CDIs; as far as Jersey and Virginia was looking at dealers, because of course there are rare lease returns on the CDI in MA. I was surprised that they liked the E60 best, that was the only car where there was an instinct reaction.

It's funny with the $400 coupon, I do not like to hassle but they are salesman and they live from that. We sold our old car to a friend at work, I gave him a fair price and it was easy to do. I guess I am not good at bargaining, but that's why I don't work in sales. We will call tomorrow say we found the coupon, but as you say its a done deal they are prepping it for pick up tomorrow.

We'll join the BMW club.

I am still shopping around for the iPod hookup. My father is turning 60 in two weeks (this is his rejuvenating present), and I am going to get him an iPod (a first for him) for his birthday. They said around $600 but I will call around to see if there are any other deals.
Quiet frankly I don't have the nerve to bargain for the extended warranty. The one that is available for $1650 is BMW one, its a BMW dealership in Atlanta from what I understood. I will ask around more on the forums, and we still have some time before the 50k expires to deal with it.

Anyhow, speaking of Rt9 I work at Sun Life, so for all the honest and good advice if you are ever passing my office, feel free to stop by and I have you for a coffee. Unfortunately, it will be my father that is driving the new car (i've got a VW Passat) but the drink is definitively on me...

I appreciate good advice and congratulate you on your new car as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pred02' post='667533' date='Sep 11 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi,
Thank you so much for your advice. Unfortunately I received the post about 10 minutes after we departed for the dealership. We tried bargaining with them but it did not work. I objectively looked at the CPOs through the website to see what the alternates were. We really wanted a manual (We are from the old country (ala Europe), so driving a standard is a big thing for us); something like 39 out of 620 CPOs came out on the BMW website with a standard.

That's about 5-6%. I actually helped my parents pick the car, and I know that they do not like black interior (my mother is peculiar with details). I looked at the listing prices at other dealers, and came to realization that in the long run it is more important to get the car they will like then to save a little bit on a price. Of course, the moral victory of getting a good deal is important, but I though the price was fair - considering the supply/demand of auto/manual and other prices.

We always tend to want something rare. When my parents were considering the W211 E class, I was out scouting for CDIs; as far as Jersey and Virginia was looking at dealers, because of course there are rare lease returns on the CDI in MA. I was surprised that they liked the E60 best, that was the only car where there was an instinct reaction.

It's funny with the $400 coupon, I do not like to hassle but they are salesman and they live from that. We sold our old car to a friend at work, I gave him a fair price and it was easy to do. I guess I am not good at bargaining, but that's why I don't work in sales. We will call tomorrow say we found the coupon, but as you say its a done deal they are prepping it for pick up tomorrow.

We'll join the BMW club.

I am still shopping around for the iPod hookup. My father is turning 60 in two weeks (this is his rejuvenating present), and I am going to get him an iPod (a first for him) for his birthday. They said around $600 but I will call around to see if there are any other deals.
Quiet frankly I don't have the nerve to bargain for the extended warranty. The one that is available for $1650 is BMW one, its a BMW dealership in Atlanta from what I understood. I will ask around more on the forums, and we still have some time before the 50k expires to deal with it.

Anyhow, speaking of Rt9 I work at Sun Life, so for all the honest and good advice if you are ever passing my office, feel free to stop by and I have you for a coffee. Unfortunately, it will be my father that is driving the new car (i've got a VW Passat) but the drink is definitively on me...

I appreciate good advice and congratulate you on your new car as well.
Hi George,

Congratulations on the purchase of the E60. Your dad will be very happy with it. Don't worry about the price; you really got a very competitive price for our neck of the woods. BMW sales have been largely unaffected in the Northeast, as we have not been hit as hard as the rest of the country with the housing crisis and economic slowdown. The prices that the gentlemen above mentioned may have been from either private parties or non-CPO cars, or non-BMW dealers. They could also have been from areas in the country where cars, including BMW, are just not moving and it's better for a dealer to get something instead of nothing. I don't think anybody truly comes ahead, when purchasing a car, but look at it this way, at least you won the trade-in battle. You most likely got several thousand $ more than you would have received as trade-in. Time to stop thinking about the finance part and start thinking about the "fun" part. I am sure that your dad will let you drive that car, once in a while, so even you will get some benefit out of it.

FMW truly has an excellent service department. Try to get them to give you Paul Vassallo as your service adviser and you will be on "easy street." The guy has been there forever, is well respected by his peers, and he has a great relationship with the shop foreman - very useful when chasing "gremlins" - and he's also just an all-around great guy to deal with and a genuinely great person.

Even as a CPO, you will probably find some minor little issues, here and there, as you and/or your dad get more familiar with the car. Don't be frustrated; just write them all down, call Paul and he will take care of it.

I found Idrive extremely easy to use. As a member of the engineering world, we're notoriously famous for not reading manuals, and in-fact, I've only watched the DVD demo and from that I was able to figure out Idrive in two minutes flat. I don't understand the complaints.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my car had the "AUX input" installed and functional. I'm already using my Ipod with it. I would never shell the extra $400 just to be able to see the name of the song on Idrive and to flip songs with the steering wheel. That's an easy enough thing to do without taking my eyes off the road, and beside, I know the name of the artist and title of each and every song on my Ipod, so I don't need to see them flashing before me. I can still control volume with the steering wheel, which is the most realistic thing I use, once I'm on the road. For long trips, I have a charger that can be plugged into one of the four power outlets inside the car, while still listening to the Ipod. Your choice, though, but if the car happens to have the "AUX Input," at least let your dad use it for a little while and see what he thinks. My "AUX Input" is located right inside the sunglass holder space above the ashtray and you can see the "AUX" tab in Idrive, in the "Entertainment" section.

If I am ever in the vicinity of your work, I might just take you up on the coffee offer. I'll be the guy with the big ear to ear smile, driving the E60.

Good luck with the car and happy motoring.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by pred02' post='667215' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi,
Thanks everyone for their support and prompt feedback. I did some research on the forums (yes, I should have done more first before asking).

1) The car is a CPO so I am ok with the warranty until 100k/Jan 2012. For example, if the iDrive fails, I would consider this to be the warranty repair.
2) The Extended Maintenance is the extension of the 4year/50,000 included "BMW Ultimate Maintenance" program that BMW provides for all new vehicles. As the car has 38k miles/06 model, this will experience @ 50k miles/2010 (prob 50k miles). For example, if I need to replace the brakes or do a 60k service (on the computer) this program would cover that.

I found this via the forums:
http://www.twinkidneygrill.com/catalog/ite...307/4183757.htm

Which is $1650 and is a better deal than what the dealer is offering today. I presume - and if someone can verify, that this is ok and that it will work at any BMW dealership as I present this contract.

One thing that I found odd is that this contract does not cover such items as struts, joint, wheel bearings as such.

Experience of the dismal Massachusetts roads (rt 9 anyone) has proven that I had either struts, the wheel joints, or both replaced on 2 of our 3 previous cars in less than 100k miles. Strut replacement is for sure $400-$600/axel (at non BMW dealership). However, this is not covered neither by the Extended Maintenance or the original BMW Ultimate Maintenance. I find this odd, but then again it might be us suckers in MA that drive on pot-hole ridden roads.

I am just not sure how frequent and how expensive is the regular scheduled service - i.e. 60k service, 75k service, etc. If our previous 99 C280 is the indicator, service was done at 10k intervals and each regular scheduled service was approximately $400-$800.

With this being true, then the Extended Maintenance plan for $1650 is definitely worth it.

One last question - I am asking the dealer to throw in the iPOD adapter on the 06 as a deal. The car does not have the Logic7 (6 spd and the 4wheel drive were priorities for us). On some of the E60s I heard you had to utilize the BMW1, BMW2, etc playlists, where as some newer models support full iPod browsing via the iDrive. Is there a different adapter available, if so please let us know so we can tell the dealer what to install.

I appreciate everyone's support and look towards lots of fun with the new E60!!!

Thanks,
George
You said your car is CPO'd.... double check with the dealership that you are buying the car from to make sure the I-Drive IS covered under the CPO warranty! I am purchasing a 530 here in NY, and my dealership SPECIFICALLY told me that the I-Drive is NOT covered by the CPO or the 2OP warranty plans. Both are the warranties offered by BMWNA.