Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW training and co-ad fee? please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ,
I am getting this quote from a dealer. for a 2006 525I

base price 38220
steptronic 1210
premium package 1820
dest and handling 695
training and co-ad fee 565
==================
total 42510

is this training and legal fee legit? i have a feeling that the dealer is making this up.
Do you think this is a good deal on a 2006 525I?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Just look at final number, if it works for you, then it is legit. They could very well tack this training fee into the price of the car and you wouldn't know it.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='May 23 2005, 03:25 PM
Just look at final number, if it works for you, then it is legit.? They could very well tack this training fee into the price of the car and you wouldn't know it.
[snapback]132325[/snapback]

Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think $ 42510 ( for a 2006 525I with steptronic and premium package ) is a good price for this car?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by nlaad' date='May 23 2005, 03:31 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='May 23 2005, 03:25 PM']Just look at final number, if it works for you, then it is legit.? They could very well tack this training fee into the price of the car and you wouldn't know it.
[snapback]132325[/snapback]

Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think $ 42510 ( for a 2006 525I with steptronic and premium package ) is a good price for this car?
[snapback]132327[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had to pay these fees as well since I was getting heavy discounts - it appears in the itemized wholesale cost. I think if you're paying sticker it's all rolled in and you don't see it itemized.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee. Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee. The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565). You can get the prices here:
http://www.e60.net/information/2006_...es_Pricing.pdf

If they're saying they'll sell you the car for $42,510, then you're getting the car for $565 over factory invoice, which seems like a good deal to me. Make sure that's what they're saying--no hidden fees (since they're BSing about the MACO fee, I'm suspicious ).

When my dealer said they'd sell me the car for invoice + $X and then tried to include the MACO fee, I told them that if they wanted to include the MACO fee, we also needed to include the hold back in the equation.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:48 PM
Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee.? Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee.? The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565).? You can get the prices here:

If they're saying they'll sell you the car for $42,510, then you're getting the car for $565 over factory invoice, which seems like a good deal to me.? Make sure that's what they're saying--no hidden fees (since they're BSing about the MACO fee, I'm suspicious ).

When my dealer said they'd sell me the car for invoice + $X and then tried to include the MACO fee, I told them that if they wanted to include the MACO fee, we also needed to include the hold back in the equation. ?
[snapback]132338[/snapback]

MACO is holdback.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:48 PM
Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee.? Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee.? The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565).? You can get the prices here:

If they're saying they'll sell you the car for $42,510, then you're getting the car for $565 over factory invoice, which seems like a good deal to me.? Make sure that's what they're saying--no hidden fees (since they're BSing about the MACO fee, I'm suspicious ).

When my dealer said they'd sell me the car for invoice + $X and then tried to include the MACO fee, I told them that if they wanted to include the MACO fee, we also needed to include the hold back in the equation. ?
Hi Stream,

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. What is hold back?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 23 2005, 01:55 PM
[quote name='stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:48 PM']Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee.? Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee.? The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565).? You can get the prices here:

MACO is holdback.
[snapback]132344[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not the way I understand it. With BMW, dealers in certain areas pay 1% of base invoice for local advertising and dealer training (call me picky, but that sounds like overhead to me, just like having to pay the receptionists salary, electric bill, etc.). Holdback is a rebate that dealers get back at the end of the year, based on various parameters, which vary by manufacturer, such as volume sold, CSI rating, etc. Most--if not all--manufacturers have holdback, but MACO is a BMW-specific thing as far as I can tell.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 23 2005, 04:13 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='May 23 2005, 01:55 PM'][quote name='stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:48 PM']Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee.? Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee.? The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565).? You can get the prices here:

MACO is holdback.
[/quote]

Not the way I understand it. With BMW, dealers in certain areas pay 1% of base invoice for local advertising and dealer training (call me picky, but that sounds like overhead to me, just like having to pay the receptionists salary, electric bill, etc.). Holdback is a rebate that dealers get back at the end of the year, based on various parameters, which vary by manufacturer, such as volume sold, CSI rating, etc. Most--if not all--manufacturers have holdback, but MACO is a BMW-specific thing as far as I can tell.
[snapback]132360[/snapback]
[/quote]

Holdback was always explained to me as being the cost to offset the advertising, which is what I thought the marketing (MACO) fee was. Turns out you're right though - look here: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/

It's something else, but Edmunds claims BMW doesn't charge this. I guess MACO is their equivalent.

Bottom line, you're paying this if you go in and pay sticker - they just don't tell you. If not paying sticker, they're going to itemize it. It's money they're used to getting and I highly doubt they waive it. The dealers consider the two fees (MACO and the training fee) to be part of the wholesale cost of the automobile.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 23 2005, 02:37 PM
[quote name='stream' date='May 23 2005, 04:13 PM'][quote name='UUronL' date='May 23 2005, 01:55 PM'][quote name='stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:48 PM']Those are the wholesale (dealer invoice) prices, except for the training and co-ad fee.? Also known as MACO (marketing area co-op) fee.? The MACO fee is 1% of the base invoice (so should be $382, not $565).? You can get the prices here:

MACO is holdback.
[/quote]

[snapback]132360[/snapback]
[/quote]

Holdback was always explained to me as being the cost to offset the advertising, which is what I thought the marketing (MACO) fee was. Turns out you're right though - look here: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/

It's something else, but Edmunds claims BMW doesn't charge this. I guess MACO is their equivalent.

Bottom line, you're paying this if you go in and pay sticker - they just don't tell you. If not paying sticker, they're going to itemize it. It's money they're used to getting and I highly doubt they waive it. The dealers consider the two fees (MACO and the training fee) to be part of the wholesale cost of the automobile.
[snapback]132398[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, Edmonds is wrong about Porsche having no holdback--I know for a fact they do, so I question their "information" on BMW.

And when I was negotiating my deal and told them if they wanted to include MACO I wanted to include holdback, they acknowledged there was a holdback...but said they don't negotiate based on holdback

Quick Reply: BMW training and co-ad fee? please help