Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW of Sterling, VA - Shady financing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I bought my bmw about 8 months ago and it's great. Only one problem has really been bothering me and I might have to take legal action to try and get it solved. When I purchased the vehicle, the financing manager told me that the only way BMW would approve me for the loan was to buy the extended maintenance agreement. This seemed really shady to me and I should have just walked out the door right then, but like an idiot I told myself that it might be good considering i plan on keeping the car for a while. Anyways fast forward to now, I was recently looking at trading my car in and I was trying to get this extended coverage removed and a refund of the remaining portion, didn't work. The finance manager was being a real ass about it too. The fact that he told me when I applied for financing that BMW would require extended maintenance coverage really pisses me off now that I've looked into it more, it turns out this is illegal in most states!! So what do you guys think about this? Should I just forget about it and call it a loss or threaten legal action, maybe get a lawyer involved to see if I can get a refund of this money. Please any help would be appreciate.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

'Guess you were had, my friend. They'd asked me if I needed extended warranty when I financed from them and I declined.

Fast forward to now, I am not sure you have a case since you signed the deal 8 months ago even though the elapsed time is irrelevant in this situation. Besides, how will you prove that the guy told you what you claim he told you? Do you have documentation to back up your claim?

Caveat: I am not a lawyer.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='708807' date='Oct 31 2008, 01:25 PM
'Guess you were had, my friend. They'd asked me if I needed extended warranty when I financed from them and I declined.

Fast forward to now, I am not sure you have a case since you signed the deal 8 months ago even though the elapsed time is irrelevant in this situation. Besides, how will you prove that the guy told you what you claim he told you? Do you have documentation to back up your claim?

+1. Sorry to hear about your situation. I'd be pissed too.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='708807' date='Oct 31 2008, 01:25 PM

thats the problem, I have no hard proof of the offer. I also declined the extended warranty. Then they came out with the ol' "BMW won't finance you unless you get an extended maintenance coverage plan". Do you guys think I should report them to BMWNA or even BBB?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributors

This is the car you bought when you joined the forum a few months ago!?! That's a long time to "worry" about being forced to buy an extended warranty. And actually, the BMW maintenance warranty is an OK purchase if you intend to keep the car for an extended period of time.

IMHO, while I'm not doubting you personally, going to court without any credible proof that you were told the maintenance contract was a requirement for BMW Financing I'm afraid you're pushing rope uphill.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Leroy, I would recommend that you move on. Consider to be a bad dream and be careful in the future.

Stealerships try ways to squeeze as many $s from you as they possibly can.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributors

go up the ladder. ask for the gm or even the owner. dont go in mad just ask to see what they can do for a loyal customer. if nothing, spread the bad word and notify the bbb.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Members

I bought my car from Sterling also. Who was the finance manger? I worked with two of them one was shady and the other was great. Most importantly call the Used car manger Jim Johnson. He was excellent to deal with and made my experience so good I will buy from him again and I live in Baltimore. I used to work for a BMW dealership and he was outstanding. Also Finance manger Amado Alvira was straight forward. I tested his opinions and recommnedations when we sat down.

GL but honestly keep the car with the warranty. Its a great ride!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Regarding extended and maintenance warranty, you can always cancel them at any time. The refund will be prorated. Since you are financing the car, the refund will actually be credited to your loan. It will reduce your principal loan but not change your monthly payment. You don't have to go back to the same Dealer to cancel your extended and maintenance warranty you can probably call BMW NA to send you the cancellation form. You can also report the incident to them. The Dealers get a charge back for any extended and maintenance warranty cancelled within one year from the date it was issued. that is why they are being an ass about it. Nevertheless, they should always accomodate customers concerns.