Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Service Departments

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it seem to anyone that the service that we receive from these service departments as loyal BMW customers/fans is mediocre compared the product that we're paying for?

I would expect to be dealing with techs that know these vehicles inside and out but many times I find myself knowing more about the e60's by just driving them and by reading these threads.

Please I want to hear your thoughts?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

I usually go to Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, OC. but i try not to, however when i have some questions and talk to the SA i feel these guys just give me the run around and have no clue what they're talking about...(eg: make an appt, we need to diagnose the car, you need to come back, we're backed up right now, it's kinda hard to tell, this is a 1st...etc...etc...)so your theory about the service advisors is 100% correct. We spend at least $50k in a car and don't even get decent service - even some of the sales staff don't know the cars that they're actually trying to sell well which is even more annoying.
I would really expect some more qualified SA at these type of dealerships, I've heard good comments about Sterling in NB, so i might swing by over one of these weekends. I get better service and more knowledgable SA at the Honda dealer when i take my gf's car in for service, but i mostly get all my answers for my car on this forum !! these guys are great and know the e60s' inside out.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

You know, its hard to say. I never get to see the mechanic. My SA,well, she's really hot, so I have only good things to say...what do yoi guys really expect from a car dealership? Remember- This is a CAR DEALERSHIP...adjust your expectations accordingly and you will not be disappointed. Just my humble opinion
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Contributors

Let's see what other forum members think about this topic. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=64490&hl=
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Don't forget there is a paradigm shift going on in this field. How many of our issues are software based and not the usual engine, tranny (SMG now thrown in), rear end, springs and shocks hardware issues of old. It?s almost to the point that they need a SysAdmin and computer nerd(s) to keep up with these current cars which they have yet to acknowledge or prepare for to a large extent. I have spent many hours discussing work force dynamics with SAs and service manager as I try to groom good relationship with these folks (it pays off in several ways). More than one SA admits that I know more about PROGMAN and interactions of the systems, state of issues (Service Bulletins) and such than they do as they have to cover all models (me just e63) and just do not have the time for their own research. They rely on techs to know what they are doing and that is often not the case as good ones want more money and move on in almost a revolving door atmosphere. Could BMW dealer fix this? To some degree, yes with higher salaries and higher labor cost for us (only $110 now at my local dealer). To some degree yes with better training and better communications by giving SA and techs more time for research which in turn probably means larger staff AND higher labor rates for us off warranty or BMW on warranty. On the few opportunities I have been able to get close to a tech I find the better ones kinda of rotate between the German brands (I have an Audi and it?s the same story there as well).

I am not defending them but understand what some of the issues are for them. I have learned to be patient and pragmatic in my dealings with dealers. I write down everything I want done and hand it to the SA so there is no ambiguity in my request for service be it routine maintenance or a problem. If I have issues with service I mention to SA and follow up with carefully and factually based letter to Service Manager usually stating that in one or more areas I might not be able to provide a ?5? in the after service survey. I have had irritating experiences that have been overcome by fantastic responses by my dealer?s service department.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 90 325i, 97 328i, 06 530i

well, let's see. Few years back I take my e46 M3 for rod bearings recall. Bring the car home, after few days I go start it in my garage and it makes crazy noises. I shut off the engine, pop the hood, the fan is off. It's just sitting there against the radiator and pulley that it's suppose to be mounted on is rubbing against it I put it back on without even going to the dealer. I take the car out of the garage and notice puddle of oil on my garage floor. Call the dealer, take the car in they say it was a faulty oil pan gasket. year later I take my 525it for service because it makes noise in engine compartment, they fix it but when I check oil level I notice they broke a plastic cover on top of the fan Just few days ago they scratch a rear bumper on my new e60
so this is my luck with local bmw service departments.... sometimes it makes you wonder if warranty is really all that important to have because there's always a chance that your local service dept will f@#$% it up for you
I would rather have bmw pay my indi mechanic for doing all the services and repairs
Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

It's not just BMW. My friend had an LS400 that had valve issues(knocking). When driving home from the dealer parts came off the car, damaged the undercarriage and damaged the front end of a car behind him. The service department failed to tighten the bolts on the balance and it grabbed the belt pulling apart the water pump and parts of the fan shroud off and under the car. They tried to blame him for over-acceleration(what?) of the car but the mediator along with his attorney proved otherwise. He had to fight with Lexus for something that was obviously their fault.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Note: Too much reading so I didnt read the others response.

But dont forget... you actually LIKE the car and are intersted in it so you read about it... the mechanics... its just their job. They're tired of seeing them everyday. Not everyone likes what they do. They just do cuz they need / want the green paper that comes along with it.