Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Powertrain "Plus" extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends,

My 2006 530i came out of BMW warranty recently. I got a quote for BMW Powertrain Plus extended warranty for 3yr/36k miles for around $2100.

Do you have this plan and is it worth the $$ given its coverage?

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by 530iaustin
Friends,

My 2006 530i came out of BMW warranty recently. I got a quote for BMW Powertrain Plus extended warranty for 3yr/36k miles for around $2100.

Cheers.
Don't know anything about it, but you might also look into seeing if you can get your car CPO'd which will extend your warranty too. BTW - happen to know any 3rd party BMW repair shops in town?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to bmwusa.com and click on "owners" link at the top. Then click on "ultimate vehicle protection" and then on "extended vehicle protection" and finally there is a brochure you can down load. There are three levels with the one you are asking about being the most basic, then gold and the best coverage is platinum which appears to cover even navigation and i-drive.

I would definately ask for a copy of the contract to read which ever one you choose. Also what is the deductible.

It is expensive, but backed by bmw. You can also check out Zurich and EasyCare. No matter what third party warranty you check out, someone has something negative to say about them but they seem to be some of the best.

Mark
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Contributors

Friends,

Cheers.
That's the plan I purchased for my '06 M5 3 months ago. I chose it because it's a BMW product and no matter which BMW dealer you go to there will never be any hassle about coverage (the extended warranty information gets coded onto your key fob ... so any BMW shop will see it).

I also think it is a balanced investment in that it covers all the really expensive stuff that keeps your car running. So if the tranny goes out ... no problem. But if the navigation system fails, well, that sucks but I can still drive the car. I also don't mind paying regular maintenance for wear-and-tear items, so I passed on buying an extended maintenance plan.

BMW also offers some interesting trade-offs on the mileage / duration of these contracts. For example, for about the same price I could get either a 3 year / 50,000 mile plan, or a 2 year / 70,000 mile plan. So you can pick one that best suits your needs.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by w84me
Don't know anything about it, but you might also look into seeing if you can get your car CPO'd which will extend your warranty too. BTW - happen to know any 3rd party BMW repair shops in town?
Thankfully, I have not had a need to explore 3rd party BMW shops since mine just came out of BMW warranty. But lets keep each other posted on our experiences if we go to one in future. Cheers.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Members

Thankfully, I have not had a need to explore 3rd party BMW shops since mine just came out of BMW warranty. But lets keep each other posted on our experiences if we go to one in future. Cheers.
Will do. I purchased my 545i from a friend and had it CPO'd at BMW. It was ~$2400, and covered me for another 2 years/50K miles if I remember correctly. I think it covers everything except wear and tear. Sounds like it may be a nice trade-off over what your looking at if you can swing it. Less years, but more stuff covered

My CPO is expired, so I'm not looking at these warranties too, so please keep us updated on your decision and thanks for the timely post.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 325/528
Go to bmwusa.com and click on "owners" link at the top. Then click on "ultimate vehicle protection" and then on "extended vehicle protection" and finally there is a brochure you can down load. There are three levels with the one you are asking about being the most basic, then gold and the best coverage is platinum which appears to cover even navigation and i-drive.

I would definately ask for a copy of the contract to read which ever one you choose. Also what is the deductible.

It is expensive, but backed by bmw. You can also check out Zurich and EasyCare. No matter what third party warranty you check out, someone has something negative to say about them but they seem to be some of the best.

Mark
Thanks! Here's the link http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by w84me
Thank you all for the quick guidance. Since my 530i is outside of BMW warranty, I am told I can only get Powertrain Plus. I will do some research and post what I find.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Members

Thank you all for the quick guidance. Since my 530i is outside of BMW warranty, I am told I can only get Powertrain Plus. I will do some research and post what I find.

Cheers.
I gave it a quick scan, it looks like a pretty good deal. Just one semi-major part will cost 1K anyway - the other 1K is for piece of mind and to let you know you can romp on the accelerator freely . I just had to have my vacuum pump replaced (under the last of my warranty) and I remember hearing that was something like $1200 and these seem to go out pretty regularly. These cars definitely don't have the reliability of a Toyota. Yes - be sure to let us know what you decide and what pricing you are getting.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Members

OK - I just got quote:

$2804 for 24/24
3118 for 36/36

I have 2004 545i with 46K

Called "preferred hi-tech" warranty

what is your milage?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
UAC Used car coverage.pdf (34.6 KB, 148 views)

Quick Reply: BMW Powertrain "Plus" extended warranty