Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW 5-Series reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to excellent participation, the 2008 5-Series will be in the February results after all. The result will be asterisked for an insufficient sample size, but it will be there.

Hopefully we can get rid of that asterisk with the following update, in May. Just need more participants. I'd also like to cover additional model years.

For the details and links to the enrollment form, go here:

Auto reliability research
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Members

Those results were posted last week. Based on a small sample size, the 2008 5-Series appears to have an average repair rate. Not bad for such a complex car.

Additional participants would enable a more precise result in future updates, with the next one in May.

Vehicle reliability research
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Members

I'm just waiting for my first BMW. My last 6 cars have been E Class Merc Estate, Volvo V70 X2 and Saab 9-5 Estate X3. A combined 9 years motoring without a single need to return a car to the garage apart from standard servicing. All the talk of E60 unreliability is getting me worried, but then I read the reasons for some of the returns like rattle in the dashboard and realise that if I had returned the above cars everytime I had a rattle I probably would have spent weeks off the road!! I am getting the impression that this forum is for perfectionists
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I suspect that your data, based on service visits will be skewed, depending on the warranty offered by the brand ? perhaps something analogous to free health care.

I have been with E60 Forum now for about eight months. If I were a stranger and were able to read all that I have read here, I probably would walk (no run) away from an E60, if not any BMW. The bad news gets all the press and I think if we heard from all Bimmers, not just the Forum?s contributors we would see a different picture.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Members

I understand where you're coming from.

Two things, though:

1. The luxury manufacturers all offer similar warranties

2. I ask on the survey if the repair was covered by a warranty; so it will be possible to test your hypothesis

Also, the repair rate I reported for the 2008 in February was about average, not high

I'd like to do the same for other model years, just need more owners signed up. I don't want to waste anyone's time, so I don't ask people to complete the surveys unless there's a good chance the data they provide can be used. So only the 2008 is included in the main survey so far--though more of those are needed to remove an asterisk from the result.

To get your year included:

Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Members

Updated results for the 2008 in May. Last time I checked, it was a single response short of the minimum, so it should get there.

Other years aren't yet included, but are getting closer. Just need more participants.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Members

Got that response. Thanks, guys.

The lastest results have been posted, and the 2008 5-Series actually appears to have a better than average repair rate. Not something I expected from reading this and other forums for the car.

I'd like to have a larger sample size and include additional model years in future updates.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results
Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I would say average. I have had four 5 series and the first year of a body change, mine were 1997 and 2004, were bad. My midcycle cars 2002 and 2008 were great and were never back except for routine maintenance. I will be getting the F10 TTV8 but not the first year of production.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Members

Money spent $$$$$$$, reason : Mods
Money spent $ , reason : Repairs
Money spent $$$ , reason : Routine servicing

Speaks volumes for reliability
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Talking

Originally Posted by mkaresh' post='423322' date='May 11 2007, 11:48 AM
In late 2005 I started conducting reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I'll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

There's plenty of discussion about how the reliability of a BMW compares to competitors. But there aren't any good numbers out there to enable a precise comparison. It's time to fix this.

Unforunately, I've had a hard time getting enough 5-Series owners signed up, so I haven't started collecting data on the model. Just 67 so far, for all model years. In comparison, 311 3-Series owners have signed up so far, and I'm collecting data on nearly every model year from 2000 on. I'd like to do the same with the 5-Series.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

For the details, click the link at the bottom.

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.
===================================

Hello,

Your calling me a what, "A Perfectionist?" how dare you, but I take that as a complement!! (LOL), I suppose we ALL here have been called worse than that I'm sure "in our lifetimes", (LOL), but based upon my past, and present dealings here at the BMW e60 forum, with its hi tech and higher IQ members that are at other BMW forums I have seen, and the e60 forum members don't talk down to me or anyone, and they have helped me saved my money $$$ over the years by just sharing their vast knowledge all based on their own past experiences with e60s, and with the BMW forum being on the www, and with its members from all over the world is real convenient when I want to know something about my BMW e60 530i, or I might have a question about! I have not seen a e60 member yet that are not afraid to share and help us what they think the problem is were having, but then they go that extra mile and tell us how to repair and fix it, and I have found their so true, and I have found that most of these BMW owners here will not intentionally try to "mess" or "screw" me over either, like some of the other BMW forums I have belonged to in the past, that use it's BMW e60 members as their Guinea pigs for experimentation or whether for their profit $$$, or laughing behind our backs, when we are being sincere and trusting them for their BMW e60 advice, or these other www forums use us as their Guinea Pigs so if we screw up something on our fine e60 BMW's they then could sale us something and benefit from it for their own personal gain!!

But this in NOT true with this e60 forum, by what I have seen so far is that these BMW e60 owners at this BMW e60 forum are not afraid to share their own past experiences with us, so we wont make the same error they did, or they share with all some new e60 techniques that has worked for them, (Brings to mind just last week when I was trying to install a BMW OEM M5 rear spoiler and mis-positioned it up to high on my trunk lid, and no one at my body shop know how to take it off without damaging it, but here we other than the jokers, but most of these e60 members told me how to do the removal job, cheap, safe and effective!! Just by using, "Dental Floss" which my body shop used dental floss and my M5 rear spoiler was off in about ten minutes and cleaned and re taped and placed back on this time in the right position!!)

After I do my own e60 research, I find out what the e60s members are telling me is all good and NO BS, and safe in doing something your BMW dealer will not tell you in order for them to make extra money that we all work so hard for.

I remember when I first join this e60 forum in 2004, I thought the same thing you do about BMW owners being a group of: "perfectionists", but hey are we "perfectionist too", wanting and demanding a better automobile that light years above all the rest? (I too once owned a new Mercedes, and then two new corvettes, etc, but I have never seen a better, and more safer hi tech automobile built than a BMW e60 model, that BMW NA stands behind, and backs! I think in due time you will be well pleased with this BMW e60 forum!

Good luck with your BMW e60, and I wish you the best!!

Sincerely,

Eddie aka Presley348

Quick Reply: BMW 5-Series reliability - how does it compare?