Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Battery Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.
My 06 530i just went into the dealer to have some last minute issues cleaned up before the warranty expires in about 700km. They replaced a wheel bearing, installed a new front hub, changed out the ambient temperature sensor as I wasn't getting "ice cold" air and they put a new seal around the sunroof (it was rattling and there was wind noise). While it was there they tried to sell me new front brake pads for $597, a new engine air filter for $85 and new wiper blades for $101 (the blades on the car were only 3 months old). What they failed to notice was that the cabin air filter warning has been on for a while now. I declined their offers but did ask them to register the new battery I'd put in a few weeks ago. The original one was giving me problems so instead of paying them $600 for a new one I went to a local parts place and got an Exide 850CCA and put it in myself. The dealer refused to register the "Aftermarket" battery saying they couldn't do it.
Has anyone faced this before? I was under the impression from a number of previous posts that the dealer will typically do this and charge $100.
My second question is what is the downside of running an unregistered battery in these cars? I've been led to believe that the system won't fully charge the battery. However, I can purchase 4 or 5 new aftermarket batteries for the price of one from the dealer (and the battery comes with a 7 year warranty).
Any thoughts or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The dealer registered my new aftermarket battery (Exide as well) that I had installed myself. They took 25? of it.
That's BS they can not do it :thumbsdown:.

- Antti -
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Man all I can say is you are being hosed at your dealer, I can honsestly say my dealer treats me ALOT better then yours and we're like 7 hr drive apart. I got my wipers replaced 3 weeks ago for $43. I have been quoted $200 for a new battery (new deep cycle type) with registration.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

I replaced mine with Werker 95R

I didnt do any registration, So Far So Good.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Members

BMW tec told me the registration is baisically a bunch of crap, it would baisically involve reprograming some of electronic components that lost memory. He said in 99% of battery changes they do, they just put a charger or battery jump on the jumper connections under the hood while the old battery comes out, then remove the charger after the new battery is installed. The car never knows anything happened because it had continuous voltage.

Nothing changes in the cars electronics or charging system unless its has had no 12v power for a period time. Even then you only loose memory, in mostly in the favorites you have programed into I drive, seats etc.

I did this when I put a new Interstate battery in my 2008 535, 5000+ miles later everything is stll working just fine.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Originally Posted by gary8665
BMW tec told me the registration is baisically a bunch of crap, it would baisically involve reprograming some of electronic components that lost memory. He said in 99% of battery changes they do, they just put a charger or battery jump on the jumper connections under the hood while the old battery comes out, then remove the charger after the new battery is installed. The car never knows anything happened because it had continuous voltage.

Nothing changes in the cars electronics or charging system unless its has had no 12v power for a period time. Even then you only loose memory, in mostly in the favorites you have programed into I drive, seats etc.

I did this when I put a new Interstate battery in my 2008 535, 5000+ miles later everything is stll working just fine.
Yes, I believe so.

The battery swap from disconnecting old one and pluggin new one took me about 2 minutes.

only lost memory is Trip mileage, MPG and average MPH.

Then, Active steering is a side to side turn reset.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Members

Thanks guys. When I changed the battery out I put a battery charger on the under-hood terminals and only had to reset the clock. So far it has worked great.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I don't believe it has any matter if the car is powered through a battery charger or not when changing the battery.
Only thing that maybe you don't have to set the date and clock afterwards.

There has been lots of discussion about the need of registering the new battery. People seem to manage well without getting it done, but this is what BMW Wiring Diagram Says about the issue:

Registering the battery replacement

Why register the battery replacement?

After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.
Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.

Register battery replacement

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:
  • The current kilometre reading is stored for the battery replacement.
  • The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.
  • The power management is initialised.
Replacing the battery: other battery capacity or AGM battery

As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:
  • Battery capacity (for example 90 Ah)
  • Battery type: AGM battery or lead-acid battery.
In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:
  • With Progman, run the retrofit ?Battery? (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).
  • Register additional battery replacements with this service function.

- Antti -