Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Anyone else happy they DID NOT get Navigation with e60?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Znod' post='281048' date='May 11 2006, 06:25 PM
While I like your logic, personally, I still would get NAV. I like the big screen, split whatever, etc. And, I do like having the ability to get directions in a pinch--since I don't have another means when in my car. Also, I am a bit too lazy to get web directions all the time. I have no use for HUD. On my Z06, all I ever display is MPH, but who looks at that anyway.

I really don't think people realise just how often you use Nav when it is built into the car, I bet I use it nearly everyday, I never do that with a mobile Nav unit as I can't be bothered to take it with me all the time.
I last bought a map when we went to france 5 years ago, not had one since, I love Nav!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by Znod' post='281048' date='May 11 2006, 10:25 AM
While I like your logic, personally, I still would get NAV. I like the big screen, split whatever, etc. And, I do like having the ability to get directions in a pinch--since I don't have another means when in my car. Also, I am a bit too lazy to get web directions all the time. I have no use for HUD. On my Z06, all I ever display is MPH, but who looks at that anyway.
In a pinch I would use the BMW Assist feature - for me, this feels like a better use of my $$s because of the emergency contact capability.

Jon.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='281055' date='May 11 2006, 10:33 AM
I really don't think people realise just how often you use Nav when it is built into the car, I bet I use it nearly everyday, I never do that with a mobile Nav unit as I can't be bothered to take it with me all the time.
I last bought a map when we went to france 5 years ago, not had one since, I love Nav!
Hummm got the lexus about 3 weeks ago and i got built in nav... used it all of 2 times just to test it out. Still not much use to me. hahaha I somtimes dont even leave it on the Map view screen I leave it on the radio source screen. No need to see the map of where I'm going when I know exactlly where I'm going. It'll come in handy when I need to goto an unknown place. BUT I would still like to look it up ahead of time on yahoo maps before venturing out blindly with the built in NAV.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='280525' date='May 10 2006, 02:05 PM
I did not get NAV with my new 550. There are many reasons, in no particular order:

I would not use it for finding locations; I can use mapqwest before leaving office for appointment if necessary; (Obviously I am in the minority on this one).
I didn't like the DVD slot below CD slot, and liked the way the console looked without it;
I didn't like the split screen between NAV and iDrive;
I bought a sports sedan, with 6 speed manual transmission, and wanted to keep it relatively simple knowing if I decide to get rid of it in 4+ years, whatever NAV that is available now will be obsolete (think "touch screen" NAV like Lexus);
Reliability of NAV and updates from BMW seem to be an issue.

From a technical perspective, and the main reason I told myself not to get NAV option: Eventually my Treo, or other handheld device, will have sophisticated and useful NAV options, making NAV in car a bit obsolete.

Bottom line is I live without it, saved some money, and don't miss it. It seems very popular with most on forum, as does HUD. But my opinion for someone looking at e60 options, you can live without it.

Just my two cents.

Are you having second thoughts? I wouldn't have it if they paid me $3 grand. FYI, I found on my way over to Portland to pick up this car (last fall, the last time I would have needed it) that ONLINE directions will beat the canned ones, anyday. The online directions were up to the minute, and directed me around major construction delays that would not appear on recorded versions.

Speaking of saving time and money....

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Remember: Real men don't ask directions; even of a machine.