Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 22 2005, 12:45 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Apr 21 2005, 05:15 PM']It leaves the minimum required room by German law!?
[snapback]118276[/snapback]
... As Rudy pointed out you need a NJ mode just because people drive like idiots here. What happens when I use active cruise is that it keeps too big of a distance from the car in front. I have had many people change lanes from behind me and go around me and then pull in front of me, even though I was going the exact same sped as the person in front of me with ACC.
[snapback]118295[/snapback]
[/quote]
I understand the problem, but you have to understand that it's a German law. And BMW can't go under that minimum, because the system would be illegal in Germany then.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Iceman, clearly they could have one system in Germany that meets the laws and another one over here that deals with New Jersey -- heck, where is BMW NA headquartered?

(I realize that they'll probably never actually allow an unsafe following distance (Jersey mode) but it's not because of German law, it's because it's the safe way to play it...)
Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Ice, I agree with you. I know that it is because of the law, and I am not asking them to change it. They have to play it safe and take into account emergency braking. I am just pointing out my experience with it. Most of the time I wind up turning it off.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 530i, stick, jet black, auburn leather, cold weather, premium, premium sound, sport pckg, rear airbags, fold-down rear seats, heated rear seats, PDC, xenons, adaptive headlights, ACC, nav, HUD, sat radio. Winter tires: 124's + Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 run-flats

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 27 2004, 07:09 AM
The main reason I opted to skip AC this time around was that I felt that if I were using it on a highway where many people tend to get in between you and the car you're following, that I'd be going backwards while eveyone is going forwards.

People don't always use safe following distances, etc.? I'd have to test drive one before I'm convinced it's worth any money at this time.

It probably works much better than I'm imagining but for now, I agree with Doctor Diesel, there are many more useful options for the money.
[snapback]9510[/snapback]
Have to agree with Rudy. In even moderate traffic, the system leaves enough room that other drivers seem to take the space as a personal invitation to cut in (even with ACC set to follow as close as it is designed to). Also, the system falsely reads a car/truck ahead when there's a vehicle in the adjacent lane about once/hour. Overall, a neat technology, but, under average conditions, I sometimes wish for non-automatic cruise control.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Thumbs up

I would like to hear more detailed comments from those of you with ACC experience. I have a 2006 530i on order and need to know if ACC is a worthwhile option. I use CC all the time and hate having to reset because of traffic. I am more interested in whether the option is functional than reasonable priced. What say you ACC experienced users?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering
Thumbs up

I would like to hear more detailed comments from those of you with ACC experience. I have a 2006 530i on order and need to know if ACC is a worthwhile option. I use CC all the time and hate having to reset because of traffic. I am more interested in whether the option is functional than reasonable priced. What say you ACC experienced users?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:02 AM
Iceman, clearly they could have one system in Germany that meets the laws and another one over here that deals with New Jersey -- heck, where is BMW NA headquartered?

(I realize that they'll probably never actually allow an unsafe following distance (Jersey mode) but it's not because of German law, it's because it's the safe way to play it...)
[snapback]118302[/snapback]
Of curse they could.
They could even build a car with full autopilot.

But because the German law is there for a good reason they just keep it this way, just as you say. If the german law wouldn't exist they probably would have made the minimum distance smaller.

You can't have software versions for every place and driver in the world. That's too much programming they can f*ck up... Remember... It took them more then two years to write software that allows MP3 playback...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:53 PM
I would like to hear more detailed comments from those of you with ACC experience.? I have a 2006 530i on order and need to know if ACC is a worthwhile option.? I use CC all the time and hate having to reset because of traffic.? I am more interested in whether the option is functional than reasonable priced.? What say you ACC experienced users?
[snapback]118344[/snapback]
I've only had the car for a few hundred miles, and I've only used ACC a couple of times now - but I NEVER used standard cruise control in my previous cars as I was always putting my foot on the brake.

Active Cruise is simply amazing. It's like being pulled along by the car in front with a long elastic, even if they turn off, or someone else cuts in, it just readjusts, or goes to your preset speed and sits there. You really don't have to think about it.

I used it on a reasonably busy stretch of fast A road (kind of like an interstate - two lanes either side) and was very very impressed. I can see myself using it much much more than I ever used cruise control before. As to wether it is worth ?1350 - jury's out on that one...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributors

I have the active cruise and while i like to DRIVE the car, on some mornings, my 45 minute commute really requires me to relax (not haul A**). For those days you absolutely CANNOT beat Active Cruise. It's like a Ronco oven... "Set it and forget it!". Now I'm not sure if it's worth $2.2KUSD, but I found a used car that had it (searched for a LONG time) and it cost me nothing over other used E60's!!

Boooo Yaaaaah....
Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

Cool

Originally Posted by Kevin' post='118346' date='Apr 21 2005, 08:01 PM

I have it and I like it. (BTW, my opinion could be a little biased because I might be a GEEK. ) My commute is about 30 miles/one-way including long highway drive. I almost always use it with Nav & HUD. Of course I am familiar with the area but Nav helps me estiamte my arrival time. As a GEEK, now I think that I should have included active steering, too. Now I look forward to a longer road trip(e.g. Michigan to East coast or Florida) .

BTW, one thing I have to admit: driving myself is a gread deal of joy. The overall power delivery system feels so special - strong, capable yet smooth.

Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control