5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   acid rain window stains bmw stratham (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/acid-rain-window-stains-bmw-stratham-127986/)

lciaccio 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

acid rain window stains bmw stratham

I purchased a 5 series from BMW stratham in August. The car has horrible water stains on the windows. The stains are so bad that it is sometimes dangerous driving espeically while at night with glare. When i purchased the car i was told they were just water stains and would come off.

After a while of trying to get them off with polish and vinegar etc i had no luck so i contacted the dealer to ask them. The service department advisor told me they tried steel wool and it wouldnt come off. He then advised me that the stains were acid rain and there was nothing he could do.

I am not sure to what extent they tried, but does anyone have experience with this. Can anyone reccomend a place to help?

What are my options with the dealer? I wrote an email directed to the salesman, service manager and general manager a month ago and still have not heard back from them. Ther lack of response clearly shows that they dont care..

What are my options? should i contact BMW NA? I already gave my rating, but if i could, i would alter it now.

Please some one help! this is awful looking, dangerous and embarassing

luigi524td 11-26-2012 05:57 PM

Steel wool to clean a stained windshield !! YIKES, find a NEW DEALER!!!

Stained glass can usually be cleaned up by claying it. Alternatively, go to a glass shop and get some glass polish. As a last resort if the glass was damaged by "environmental" conditions, aka acid rain, you might be able to file a comprehensive insurance claim and have it replaced.

lciaccio 11-27-2012 08:46 AM

Yea I'm going to try clay and then Polish by hand. I doubt my insurance would pick it up

AchtungE60 12-02-2012 06:26 PM

yes, clay it.

TLO03 01-14-2013 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was driving in the fog and rain the other night and noticed the same thing on my other car a 2002. And really saw how bad it was when washing sunday.

I text a pic to my buddy a pro detailer, but he took to long to respond. And I used some polish and buffer came out mint.. my friend did say white vinegar I was all out of it anyway. . Claying did nothing.

Vapiano 01-20-2013 04:38 PM

TLO03, which polish did you use?

I did a search online and saw that a few folks were having success with Scrubbing Bubbles and #0000 super fine steel wool. I tried it and it did work. It took me two passes to thoroughly clean one window in 25 minutes. I ordered a full detail kit from DD and will wait until that comes and try to polish it out with a buffer.

mavir9 04-24-2023 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by lciaccio (Post 1480147)
I purchased a 5 series from BMW stratham in August. The car has horrible water stains on the windows. The stains are so bad that it is sometimes dangerous driving espeically while at night with glare. When i purchased the car i was told they were just water stains and would come off.

After a while of trying to get them off with polish and vinegar etc i had no luck so i contacted the dealer to ask them. The service department advisor told me they tried steel wool and it wouldnt come off He then advised me that the stains were acid rain and there was nothing he could do.

I am not sure to what extent they tried, but does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone recommend a place to help?

What are my options with the dealer? I wrote an email directed to the salesman, service manager, and general manager a month ago and still have not heard back from them. Ther lack of response clearly shows that they dont care..

What are my options? should i contact BMW NA? I already gave my rating, but if i could, i would alter it now.

Please some one help! this is awful looking, dangerous and embarassing

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the water stains on your BMW 5 series. It sounds frustrating and disappointing that the dealership has not been responsive to your concerns. Here are some options you can consider:
  1. Contact BMW of North America: If you feel that the dealership is not taking your concerns seriously, you can contact BMW of North America to escalate the issue. They may be able to assist you in finding a solution or mediate a resolution with the dealership.
  2. Seek professional detailing services: If the dealership's attempts to remove the stains were not successful, you may want to consider seeking professional detailing services. A professional detailer may have the expertise and tools to remove the stains without damaging the windows.
  3. Consider legal action: If you feel that the dealership misrepresented the condition of the vehicle or failed to disclose the presence of the stains, you may want to consider consulting with a lawyer to explore your legal options.
In any case, it is important to document your interactions with the dealership and any attempts to address the issue. Keep records of all communication, including emails and phone calls, and take photos of the stains to document their severity. This information may be helpful if you need to escalate the issue furthe