Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

About to order 535d help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof
Thumbs up

I've had a slightly modded impreza wrx for a couple of years and I am looking to change to a 535d. I need some help with the choice of options. I have firmly decided on carbon black and the m sport pack. I still have doubts about active steering but in this forum people seem to llike it especially on the later cars. Opinions are welcome.

Also many of you go for the comfort seats. I havent tried the sport myself but sat in the comfort in a showroom 530d and after the impreza found them rather flat and bench like. Bmw dealer praised them though.

Bluetooth is also something I am considering. Is it compatible with Nokia 6230 and 6230i?

What are your driving impressions of fives with the sport pack as I would not have opportunity to test drive before I buy. What are grip levels like? Can one have some sideways fun with the dsc off?

I know all this has probably been discussed many times over but I am a new member and I need to make a decision quick. Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I was also interested in the Nokia 6230 compatibility. It must be one of the most popular business mobiles now, replacing the 6310, so hopefully they're compatible. I'm trading from a Boxster S which has sports seats, so I'm going to go with those this time. Don't think I'll go for the active steering having heard different stories about them. Was considering HUD, but needing a special windscreen makes me think that replacements may cause hassle. Although I want Carbon Black, the girlfriend is pushing for beige inside, which i'm struggling with. Otherwise I think the car is pretty loaded. Would love the auto adjusting passenger door mirror when reversing, but having to get electric seats when I'll probably be the only one to drive the car seems a waste of money - definitely have them heated though !
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='May 4 2005, 07:23 AM
I've had a slightly modded impreza wrx for a couple of years and I am looking to change to a 535d. I need some help with the choice of options. I have firmly decided on carbon black and the m sport pack. I still have doubts about active steering but in this forum people seem to llike it especially on the later cars. Opinions are welcome.

Also many of you go for the comfort seats. I havent tried the sport myself but sat in the comfort in a showroom 530d and after the impreza found them rather flat and bench like. Bmw dealer praised them though.

Bluetooth is also something I am considering. Is it compatible with Nokia 6230 and 6230i?

What are your driving impressions of fives with the sport pack as I would not have opportunity to test drive before I buy. What are grip levels like? Can one have some sideways fun with the dsc off?

I know all this has probably been discussed many times over but I am a new member and I need to make a decision quick. Thanks
[snapback]123755[/snapback]

If you want to RALLY w this one too, than go for the sport pack and you get free the sport seats. I drive more on long journeys so like the comfort seats better and active seats-bit of massage- and active headrest -for protection of your head and neck in case of frontal crash-hope never happen.

I think AS is ok if it is newer version, you cannot feel a BIG diff. ok if you wanna drift -leave it, but it is an invention of BMW, so if we buy a car from them should trust them.
hope could help, nice choice.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='May 4 2005, 01:23 AM

[snapback]123755[/snapback]
The comfort seats are absolutely brilliant - especially the backrest width adjustment - they are probably the best car seats I have sat in!

I haven't tried the 6230, but as far as I am aware, bluetooth works well with the 6230 (so I was told by my dealer before I purchased, and they were right about my Razr, so I have no reason to doubt them) - I don't know about the 6230i, as it's not available here yet - I think it is still series 60 software so it should be fine (but who knows with Nokia/BMW BT - you will probably have to try it and see!!!).

The ride with the sport pack is definately firm, but the grip is very good and worth the sacrifice in ride softness. You can certainly have a bit of sideways fun, but in the dry, the 18"s hold pretty well, so you will have your work cut out for you!

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Thanks for the input guys. Regarding the active steering today I drove a 645 that had it and a 530d that didnt. I liked it from the brief experience, makes sense around town. The fiver had dynamic drive which I thought was brilliant. For some reason they are not offering it in combo with the m pack. May be the reason is that the M is firm enough anyway. The diesel also had the comfort seats, and although I see what people like about them, I just find them a bit too flat at the base.

Boxsterfeet, I have opted for the electric seats with memory even though I am going to be the only person driving the car. I am staring to have doubts though. Is the electric steering wheel adjustment + memory included in that or is it a separate extra. In my country it is not listed separately so I presume it should be part of electirc seats with mem.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

forgot to add, the cupholders on th five look quite cheap in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Good choice on next car ! Not going to be as quick as Imprezza but still fun.
If cost is no object get all you want but If you only want to spend a certain amount IMHO active steering is a waste of money as the std setup is quick and great at high speed. Comfort seats again waste of money as the std's are great, full elec adjustment is a waste of money as the std part elec adjusters do exactly what you want. HUD - how many speedo's do you want.

Sat nav, BT, heated seats, hifi or L7, leather, and definately the M pack.

Sideways fun is available
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

The preza was running around 280 hp so I reckon without a high rpm launch the beemer would keep up.

So I take it you didnt enjoy the A.S. on your older car. However, I think I read somewhere that they improved the system recently.

sat nav doesnt work where I live so I'll have to ditch it. Stereo wise I am thinking radio prof. plus the ten speaker hi-fi. one question- does the radio prof or the cd changer play mp3s?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='May 4 2005, 04:18 PM
The preza was running around 280 hp so I reckon without a high rpm launch the beemer would keep up.

So I take it you didnt enjoy the A.S. on your older car. However, I think I read somewhere that they improved the system recently.

sat nav doesnt work where I live so I'll have to ditch it. Stereo wise I am thinking radio prof. plus the ten speaker hi-fi. one question- does the radio prof or the cd changer play mp3s?
[snapback]124038[/snapback]
I think you'll find the Imprezza will feel a lot faster due to the engine noise - the 535 is very quiet. I drove an EVO once.

Don't get me wrong I liked the AS on my old car for slow speed driving/parking and I did get the software upgrades that enhanced it. All I'm saying is I don't think its worth the money as the std steering is so good and very sharp. A friend of mine drove my car with AS and didn't notice it!!!

The business and prof stereo's give out the same music performance. The prof just has 2 scanners for traffic announcements. Its std with BT. The HiFi option is superb compared to the std speaker setup. Not heard L7 so can't comment.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

The electric seat adjustment memory also includes the steering wheel position. I think it is a worthwhile option as it can be a pain the a$$ trying to find your ideal seating position if someone else breifly drives your car and adjusts the seat.